Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Poll: Most powerful / moving game moments

So what are some of the most powerful moments you've encountered in a game? You know, the kind when it transcended that "just a game" mentality and struck an emotion in you, or you really cared about what happened or a character. Like when a game really scared you or enraged you, not because of difficulty or a bug, but by the story or a characters action.

I'd have to say

1. Homeworld , rescuing the survivors of your race in cryo pods above your burning planet to a bone chilling choir version of Adagio for Strings. Never been so choked up by a game.

2. Jedi Knight 2 when first meeting the reptilian dark jedi, when his apprentice

"kills" your sidekick Jan

3. Nearly all of World in Conflict, particularly being beaten back to fort teller and

having to drop a nuke on your own town and men

And at the very end when

a sniper shoots Webb

4. Morrowind, at the end of Tribunal in Sotha Sil

being confronted by almalexia, having used you with the intent of trapping and killing you all along

And the end of Bloodmoon when

you learn the chief of the skaal nords was a werewolf

Hands down for me, the Medal of Honor series has gotten me in several instances. Most of all in Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, when the soundtrack goes almost completely silent and you hear over the radio, "the Arizona is hit! it's -". Up ahead, you hear sirens on the Arizona and you can see people jumping for their lives and some going down on the deck...and then your PT craft drives by the ship ever so slowly and there's almost nothing left but an oil slick and the upside-down hull where you know hundreds, thousands of men might be trapped.

The worst part is, you know that all of it really happened.

It's pretty moving, I'd say. If you ever listen to any of the soundtracks you'll understand how the whole series can be that way.

Eraser, I have never heard of or seen those scenes. Sound really moving though. For me, itd be :

1. in COD4 when you save the downed chopper pilot only to see a nuke go off shortly after

2. in COD4 when McTavish dies

3. in AC6 when the bridge is hit

In Super Mario Brothers, when you get to the first castle and its like, "Our princess is in another castle" and its like a total metaphore for life.

Maybe it's because I'm older and more jaded now but playing Gunship 2000 had its moments. Nothing like creeping along at low altitude and the next thing you know you've got some friggin' BDRM taking pot shots at you. I've had similar experiences in EECH but for some reason GS2000 pulled me in more. Again, it may have been my age at the time, but I've sweated a box of bullets playing that game.

Getting shot up and nursing that helo back home felt like a real accomplishment.

I think the best moments I encountered are in FreeSpace 2:

1) When you discover

the existence of a second Knossos portal and, shortly after, the existence of a huge fleet of Sathanas juggernauts.

2) When

the Colossus is destroyed.

3) And, obviously,

the final supernova and the rush to jump in subspace before it destroys your fighter.

In Metal Gear Solid when

Sniper Wolf dies

In Metal Gear Solid 2 when

Fortine dies

In Metal Gear Solid 3 when

The Boss dies

1.) The error message that I get on m Xbox 360 after playing 2 hours of FORZA 2. It always gets me cussing and kicking at that d***** thing!

2.) BSDs and CTDs when I open up a new game on my PC (and it always seems to be an Activision product).

3.) When the batterys in my remote Logitech Mx Laser mouse dies while playing an FPS game, right when I'm about to take that perfect head shot from a mile away.

4.) When the batterys die in my Xbox 360 game controller during an online match (some genius at Macro Hard though it would be a bright idea to get away from corded controllers).

5.) When I used my TrackIR system for the first time. Wooowwwwww!

In the One Shot mission of CoD4, when there are nigh on hundreds of Russian troops all wanting to kill you when trying to make it to the evac point, it gets the heart pumping.

the first time I played Resident evil and you go into that room with the zombie kneeling over the body and it looks up at you as you enter the room.I don't think I have had more chills run down my spine since.

Eraser, I have never heard of or seen those scenes. Sound really moving though. For me, itd be :

1. in COD4 when you save the downed chopper pilot only to see a nuke go off shortly after

2. in COD4 when McTavish dies

3. in AC6 when the bridge is hit

Having played CoD4, I can't believe I forgot about the first two...some of the saddest and most shocking moments in a game, ever. The Call of Duty series has its moments, too.

And as for the Homeworld thing, I think the choral version of Adagio for Strings is another Samuel Barber arrangement called "Agnus Dei".

And I'm pretty certain the topic specifically said things in-game and not error messages and such, right?

In Thief 2, when I went into the haunted library in that old castle...and a ghost suddenly appeared in front of me accompanied by the best spooky sounds I'd ever heard! I literally shouted and turned and ran out of the library!

In Knights of the Old Republic, when you learn that after all that has transpired you are the former Dark Lord of the Sith Revan!

In No One Lives Forever, when you overhear the guards' conversations for the first time and you can't stop laughing, or you engage in a firefight and for the first time see a guard turn and run for cover while shouting "Oh no, bullets!!"

In Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, where after travelling down an aqueduct into a small town you find a secret passage behind a store that leads out to the largest panorama I've ever seen in an FPS, with a giant tower in the distance ringed by hangars with AT-STs on patrol that are so tiny due to the extreme distance you can barely see them!

In WC3 when you find out the Kilrathi that's been fighting alongside you all this time was really a double agent!

Yeah, not like crashes at the worst times, or unfairly difficult things that got you mad. Those spine tingling moments in games.

Yup, but if I said agnus dei, 90% of people would have no idea what that was.

Some others:

Battlezone 2: Forgotten enemies mod, "Two Minute Warning" mission, when a hopelessly overpowering alien fleet has made a jump through a wormhole into Earth's Solar System. The feeling of impending doom for the human race was greater than any other game.

Mechwarrior 4 defending the resistance base in the desert when you get the radio call that all Steiner forces are pulling back or destroyed. The only thing that could have made that moment better was if they had the top gun theme play just at that moment.

Tons more from that game,

The beginning of the intro video,

The beginning of the mission to take the satellite control in the arctic just after your leader was killed. Unbelievable feeling of solemn determination.

Defending civilians being evacuated from a coastal town and having a newscaster on one of the boats come on as you succeed.

Just the right radio call at the propper moment will get me every time. Like in Black Hawk Down(movie) and the first chopper crashes.

Edited by eraser_tr

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that, with the right music, you can make any game moving. When flying in Lock-On against enemy aircraft in my Su 27, it can be just outright unnerving to hear a piece such as the Adagio for Strings or Agnus Dei - it adds that graceful, cinematic feel to what you're doing, even outside of a scripted cutscene. You'll feel tragedy with every missile fired on both sides...or you can put in electronica or rock for an action-oriented feel, and sometimes the only thing that works is silence.

Give it a try sometime, and experiment. More often than not I feel like I fly much better with a soundtrack.

Every time I take a leap of faith in Assassin's Creed my stomach goes light which is pretty impressive.

I'd echo the CoD 4 moments too.

I'll jump in with the COD4 crowd! I just got this last weekend and don't believe I've ever been a part of such a powerful story. Heck, the very first mission on the freighter, when I made the leap to the chopper (on my 5th attempt) and made it...only to start losing my grip and then be pulled in...I stepped away from my computer with major goosebumps.

The very end of the game I almost had a tear in my eye and finally had to exhale because I'd gone from the "FNG" in Capt Price's eyes to someone he trusted to finish the last moments of the game. Plus I started to "get to know" the other team members but I won't say any more. :) It would make a great movie.

Battlefield Vietnam:

Dont have it anymore - but one of the battlefields (maybe Hue) had a NVA propagander woman on a radio system somewhere telling me we were all going to die - lot more disturbing than it sounds!.

WOV + YAP:

Any A-1 Skyraider mission is not far off suicide in my case - especially the one where that bloke lands to pick up his mate! (it looked easy in Iron Eagle but alas no Hades bomb in Nam :rolleyes: )

First Eagles:

Every other mission is suicide in my case - what the - if the real thing was anything like that!! :close_tema:

Falcon 4:AF:

"Hostile 15 miles out 30,000ft" gets the heart going - as does diving into MANPAD range!

I love simming & games as much as the next person...but really boys, you need to get out more ! :biggrin:

the most powerful moment i had in a game was in AA in times when my f***ing pc could run it

the map is Insurgent Camp, I was the 203 guy on the hill next to the spawn point

when i saw the other team 203 we fired at each other and the 2 203's hit one another in midair

that was incredibile!!! :)

I used to love having the M203, i was the best ;)

I love simming & games as much as the next person...but really boys, you need to get out more ! :biggrin:

Now now everyone to their own - nothing wrong with playing a few games now and then :wink:

Unfortunately my gaming collection only consists of the TW series and F4 so im not one to comment but I do realise the experiences they provide can be very powerful and far in excess of films due to the fact that its interactive and you are using your brain.

besides I bet you spend ages talking about films like Bridget Jones when you are out supposedly living life to the full :biggrin:

Edited by CoolHand29

besides I bet you spend ages talking about films like Bridget Jones when you are out supposedly living life to the full :biggrin:

No I don't talk it...anyway Bridg was sooo last century lol :biggrin:

Imagine a Thirdwire Bridget Jones, sometimes cranky, fun, "lite" yep I do have the odd blonde moment, fully patched up but very moddable if you take the time to get all my .ini tweaks correct. To paraphrase Newman & Baddiel..."that's me that is!"

Anyhow, lets get this thread back on track...

You mentioned flying an A1 in WoV...now that is flying. Always nice to get home in one piece...surprisingly easy if you do it right. That I suppose is the nearest to a moving moment gamewise.

Then again, ah... the surefire thrill of getting your tetris blocks aligned takes some beating :biggrin:

For me it wasnt actually playing a game, but watching a film made of an IL-2 campaign, set to the song,"Return to innocence" by Enigma. That song leaves me crying every time I hear it,

Getting out more is highly overrated. Maybe its me, but I just don't enjoy overpaying for small ammounts of alcohol, being deaf for hours and stuck in crowds so dense I can't tell who grabbed my ass. Or put up with people like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0c0DOLrsw (actually made nearby)

For me, it was a mission in X-Wing Alliance that, 2/3 in, makes you flight leader as Red 1 disappears while screaming screaming "Tell my wife I-".