Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

How to convert AV-8B+ to AV-8B...?

I'm totally loving the AV-8B+! :clapping:

I have a 1985 campaign in vietnam I'm working on, and I think having an AV-8B in there would be a lot more fun than AV-8C's. As far as I could find on the internet, B's entered service in 83 or 84, so this should be "realistic". The coversion to B+'s happened sometime after the Gulf War...?

So, I'm wondering what I should tweak on the B+ to make it more representative of the B. As far as I can tell, one of the big changes was the "night attack capability". Not sure what they did exactly, but as far as this game goes and given that it's a "light sim", there probably arent' any changes that need to be made there. I read that B+'s included better countermeasure systems - anyone know what the original B's had? I would probably also want to remove LP from allowable weapon class, since they lightning pod wasn't around yet.

Any other things? I'm sure there are a lot of small changes, but I'm mostly looking for the stuff that would be relevant as far as this game is concerned.

Thanks!

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/AV-8B_VL-00.jpg

http://www.aprphotomedia.com/AV-8B%2016628...3%20800x600.jpg

Lots of differences, the nose is the main thing.

http://www.aprphotomedia.com/av-8b_harrier.htm

Here is good shots of both, you can see that while you can ini it to the B it wont look like a B.

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/AV-8B_VL-00.jpg

http://www.aprphotomedia.com/AV-8B%2016628...3%20800x600.jpg

Lots of differences, the nose is the main thing.

http://www.aprphotomedia.com/av-8b_harrier.htm

Here is good shots of both, you can see that while you can ini it to the B it wont look like a B.

Hmmm... thanks. Definitely different looking...

I'll have to think about it then.

While I'm at it though, did the AV-8B's carry AGM-65's, or was it only added to the B+'s?

Oooh I feel a Harrier GR.9 coming on... :biggrin:

Hmmm... thanks. Definitely different looking...

I'll have to think about it then.

While I'm at it though, did the AV-8B's carry AGM-65's, or was it only added to the B+'s?

If I remember correctly bobrock Also had a standard AV-8B as a work in progress... not positive but I think he had 2 threads going on here one was B+ and the other was B.

And yes the standard AV-8B can carry the maverick.

If there is a OUT file in the AV-8+ release I can make the AV-8+ into a AV-8 look... just need some time.

Nose still wont be right...Why don't we wait for bobrock to do his thing instead of hacking his B+ to death?

Nose still wont be right...Why don't we wait for bobrock to do his thing instead of hacking his B+ to death?

No problem. I didn't know one was in the works until it was mentioned in this thread.

Hey dave this wa just a suggestion ;-) And hey, a placeholder is the best toy until you can fly the real one, am I right?!

Hey dave this wa just a suggestion ;-) And hey, a placeholder is the best toy until you can fly the real one, am I right?!

Alot of work for....something we will get later.....could use someone to finish up the Super Hornet....the F-35.....etc etc etc.

The main difference between the AV-8B and the plus is the radar, which means a small rework of the exterior model, remapping and partial re-doing the skin template.

GR7 and GR9 are almost done, I will post some screenshot later this week. The hard part now is to find a good use for the right mfd since there's no radar, I guess you wouldn't like a blank screen in your pit, and some changes in the avionics department (anyone knows how to make an rwr without ...rwr?)

The 8B NA will come some time after the british variant, don't worry :blink:

The main difference between the AV-8B and the plus is the radar, which means a small rework of the exterior model, remapping and partial re-doing the skin template.

GR7 and GR9 are almost done, I will post some screenshot later this week. The hard part now is to find a good use for the right mfd since there's no radar, I guess you wouldn't like a blank screen in your pit, and some changes in the avionics department (anyone knows how to make an rwr without ...rwr?)

The 8B NA will come some time after the british variant, don't worry :blink:

Put a moving map instead!

Put a moving map instead!

That is a good idea. Why not. It would be useful. I second that.

Do you not still need the MFD for the Maverick TV?

There's already a moving map in the left mfd, beneath the hsi.

My original idea was to use it as a loadout manager (like in the f-18 pit) and a tv scope for mavericks, but they cannot work together on the same screen. Or at least I couldn't find a way to make the tv scope disappear when turned off.

My original idea was to use it as a loadout manager (like in the f-18 pit) and a tv scope for mavericks, but they cannot work together on the same screen. Or at least I couldn't find a way to make the tv scope disappear when turned off.

There is a simple way to put the TV Screen off -

- make the MFDscreen as TVScope in cockpit.ini

- now make the same mesh as light and do it as Weapon Type Selector (i think it for LGM/LGB/LOGR/LOGB it is 4 or 5)

- copy the TVScreen as Weapons Screen and set your weapons-loadout screen behind the TV screen

.... or send me you cockpit Max an I'll do the changes for you

so for Guns, dumb bombs and AA-Missiles you'll have a weaponsscreen, for Mavericks a TV screen

Yeah I totally forgot. I just took a spin and I was like he must think im a total ass

Any word on the PSD for the B+?

There is a simple way to put the TV Screen off -

- make the MFDscreen as TVScope in cockpit.ini

- now make the same mesh as light and do it as Weapon Type Selector (i think it for LGM/LGB/LOGR/LOGB it is 4 or 5)

- copy the TVScreen as Weapons Screen and set your weapons-loadout screen behind the TV screen

.... or send me you cockpit Max an I'll do the changes for you

so for Guns, dumb bombs and AA-Missiles you'll have a weaponsscreen, for Mavericks a TV screen

:notworthy: I will try this one, Thanks a lot Kesselbrut!

@EricJ: the templates will be out very soon. Just need some free time to clean them up.

:good:

Glad to see the GR7 and GR9 will be out in the near future. Having just D/L the B+ and love flying it (even got the carrier to go with it) I'm looking forward to these as well as the B. Thanks for all your work on this bobrock!

There are 4 Harriers sitting here at Wright Patterson and a KC-130 too.