Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Is Geo still active here?

Title says it all. His Tigercats will fill some holes in my Korea installation.

On that note, are they're any skins for the F4U-5N Nightfighter? Might have to dust off the ol' paint brush.

TIA!

He's been asking TK some animations questions, with some screenies of it Max over at the 3rd Wire forums.

As to the -5N Corsair, I remember somebody working on one several years ago. Maybe Crab_02 or Mirage Factory (with all those nice Corsair's they've already put out.) I know they have a -4 and -7(FN)....might have to look into this at some point.

If there isn't one, it wouldn't be a difficult stretch to make -5N or 5NL using Wolfs; albeit some 'minor' differences; aux rudder, extra antena on top, good radar equiped cockpit (the mod of the F-86D that Lexx did for me not withstanding)

I have a -5N here, but I don't know (meaning remember) who built it, and when!!!! So, I can't do anything with it, releasewise until we know.

Wrench

kevin stein

As to the -5N Corsair, I remember somebody working on one several years ago. Maybe Crab_02 or Mirage Factory (with all those nice Corsair's they've already put out.) I know they have a -4 and -7(FN)....might have to look into this at some point.

Wrench, can you point me on MF F4U-4 model please (if that -4 mean F4U-4)? I have their F4U-7 and AU-1. F4U-7 is my favourite plane for Suez campaign, and Au-1 is very usable in Korean campaign. I am using edited Corsair model from Korea pack in F4U-4 role (looks like adpated AU-1 model). But if I understand it right, MF has F4U-4 somewhere.

Thanx :yes:

Edit: mmm, according to this topic, MF has -7 and AU-1, MF F4U-4 we can get with existing MF planes edit: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...=27798&st=0

Edited by kukulino

He has some screenshots of his Tigercats on his site, but there was nothing date wise to indicate how far along he was. I'll wait and see what becomes of them.

As for the Corsair -5N, I was going to use the F4U-2 that you have in the download section and edit accordingly until something more permanent shows up. Was just curious if someone had already done a VMF(N)-513 skin so that I wasnt redoing swork already competed.

I like your idea about the cockpit/radar.

Thanks Kevin!

Jeff

This is the aircraft in question:

f4u-5nl.jpg

Already done up in 513's colors. It's an old bird; the LOD is dated 12/27/2004...so it's been around for a while, and is definately NOT a Mirage Factroy product. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking it's Crab_02s.

Once creatorship has been established, I can do some fiddling with it and maybe release it for whom ever originall built it, if/when permissions are recieved.

YOu can see it's got all the goodies; the radar is built into the wing, flash hiders on the guns, the extra antena and the aux rudder extension.

I guess this could be called 'yet another one from the vaults!' :haha:

The pilot is the HI-Rez USMC Korea one; the one that can't be shared. I'd also have to bug Geo about editing/repaint the Hellcat tank, as it would be the center line one, albeit now in dark blue.

Wrench

kevin stein

Thats awesome.

Hopefully you can track the owner down and add it.

Thanks

Oppssy!!!

A little correction here...the pic shown above is NOT VMF(N)-513 "Flying Nightmares"...after checking all my Squad/Signal In Color, In Action and the USN Carrier Air Unit's books, the white/red polka dot scheme belongs to VMA-332, flying F4U-4Bs, circa July 53.

However...exploreering the folders, hidding inside is an all black skin, that the aforementoned books shows a drawing of for 513

Now that that's sorted out...have to find the author of the bird. I've got a VC-3 skin/decals nearly done, hexedited/repainted Geo's Hellcat tank to Dark Gloss Blue, and will probably make more decals for the 513 skin.

Now, if I could figure out the BuNums...there might be enough meshes for THAT decal as well!!! Probably need to visit Baugher's site, and hope he has them!

WRench

kevin stein

ps: pics tommorrow. btw, VC-3 is/was Guy Bordelon's squadron

Ok it's almost tommorrow here in sunny California, so....

f4u5-1.jpg

f4u5-2.jpg

black skinned "Flying Nightmares"

There's an error in one of the decals on the VC-3 skin...who can spot it???

(btw, Waldo ain't anywhere in this picture!!! :haha: )

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok it's almost tommorrow here in sunny California, so....

f4u5-1.jpg

f4u5-2.jpg

black skinned "Flying Nightmares"

There's an error in one of the decals on the VC-3 skin...who can spot it???

(btw, Waldo ain't anywhere in this picture!!! :haha: )

Wrench

kevin stein

Now that is the skin I'm after. I love the flat black scheme. I'm working on one for the F3D Skyknight since the only ones are blue.

As for any errors, the Stars-n-Bars look too far forward on the VC-3 machine.

Check my site - a few weeks back I posted a message that I was following Russ's lead, and instead of waiting for the completion of the pits, I was going to release my aircraft with placeholder cockpits. The first one I'm working is the F7f (using my Bearcat pit):

F7f.jpg

As for contacting me, I usually check the Third Wire site, occasionally here, but PMing me here works (it sends me an email notification).

Yea, I didnt know if you were around anymore. Didnt think to PM.

I read all that on your site as well, but didnt see how long ago you wrote it.

That is a gorgeous Tigercat.

Thanks!

Storm

God thats nice Geo!

That's looking good Geo!!! The first skin will go very well in a SWOTP WW:46 scenario (ala the old 'Aces of the Pacific Expansion Pak'). Would it be too much to ask for skin templates, too??? There's some cool stuff in S/S "Night Wing: USMC Nightfighter Units", that are just begging to be done!!! :good:

Storm: that would be a good source for your Skynight's as well.

btw, I borrowed your Hellcat tank, hexedited, renamed and reskinned for use on the Corsair's. Ok to release it??

As to a cockpit, what about using the Wolf's P-38 as a stand in? Albeit without a radar scope, it it twinge-engined. Or in a pinch the F4U-2 NF's that Lexx made for me. It has a radar, at least.

I've still got to get ahold of Crab_02 about this plane, to see if it's ok for release. Damn near done; just some decals I can't figure out the mesh names for; in particular the small front gear doors for the numbers. Can't add the BuNum under the stab; not enough meshes and I've hit max for the fuselage. Also, can't seem to get Bordelon's nose art to show in the area between the upper and lower cowl flaps....I'll include the tga if someone else can figure it out!

"Calling Crab02, do you read? Come in please"... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey Geo!

Nice to hear from you here. I'm really looking forward the Tigercat, one of the most beautiful plane ever made, IMHO, and one badly needed for the Korean conflict!

Beautiful work, Geo. I'll be one of the first to download. Korea is one of my favorite versions of my favorite sim, and this is a great addition. Thank you for taking the time to finish it. By the way, the Bearcat is beautiful all by itself. A hoot to fly. And in my little fantasy Korea, some of them were deployed to the war zone. :biggrin:

Heck

Edited by Heck

Looking good! And good to hear from you! :)