Unless you get hit and catch fire, it's unlikely that you'll realise that something hit your plane. No sound is played when a missile or shells hit your aircraft. Many times i've switched to external view and in suprise discovered that my plane was full of holes of which i couldn't account for. Is there any way to add this feature ?

Unless you get hit and catch fire, it's unlikely that you'll realise that something hit your plane. No sound is played when a missile or shells hit your aircraft. Many times i've switched to external view and in suprise discovered that my plane was full of holes of which i couldn't account for. Is there any way to add this feature ?

Yes there is. It requires (obviously) the sound files themselves, and then, corresponding edits must be made to the objects/bulletobject.ini and flight/soundlist.ini.

Could you elaborate a bit more ? Are there files available for download ?

Could you elaborate a bit more ? Are there files available for download ?

Ok,

When you extract the bulletobject.ini (which must be extracted from the objectdata.cat), you'll see entries like this for each category:

[HmgEffects]

TracerEmitterName=TracerSmokeEmitter

GroundHitEffectName=HmgGroundHitEffect

GroundHitSoundName=DirtHit

WaterHitEffectName=CannonWaterHitEffect

WaterHitSoundName=WaterRic<----added by me

ObjectHitEffectName=HmgObjectHitEffect

ObjectHitSoundName=Impact1<----added by me

ArmorHitEffectName=HmgObjectHitEffect

ArmorHitSoundName=ArmorHit<----added by me

AirBurstEffectName=

AirBurstSoundName=

As you can see, I've "added" three different sound file callouts, to correspond to file of the same name, that I've placed in the sound folder.

In order for the game engine to utilize them (of they did not exist in a default installation), you'll need to extract the "soundlist.ini", from the flightdata.cat.

Once you open that file, you'll see (surprise!) a numerical list of sounds. Say we want to add the water ricochet sound (WaterRic). We'll first have to add the new entry to the existing list, in numbered sequence:

SoundFile078=WaterRic

We're not finished yet, though. Next we'll need to create a matching entry for at the bottom of the page, like so:

[WaterRic]

Priority=HIGH

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

MaxDist=500.000000

MinDist=10.000000

InsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=0

Save your edits, and you're done.

One more thing, this series does not support stereo files. They must be monaural (mono) in format. I personally edit or record them in 16-bit mono, at 44.100 kHz, as I have a high-end sound card, and can get away with it.

I found your megapack. Excellent work ! Thanks for your help.

Edited by verde13