Sign in to follow this  
ordway

F-102 cockpit alternative almost ready

F-102 cockpit alternative almost ready. I don't know if anyone will need it, if there will be a more dedicated cockpit option ,etc.

It is based on the existing F-106 cockpit. Changed is that the tape gauges are gone, lots of new steam gauges are added, the radar has been reworked, bottom moving map eliminated, and the cockpit has been made a correct mostly gray motif as per F-102 color photos. I still need to ask permission to release it, if and whenever it might be needed by the community.

F-102.jpg

According to the photos, it was really quite a plain cockpit.

Edited by ordway

A very nice deuce cockpit - I'm convinced (and the deuce has been my thing for 37 years or so). Can't wait for the release of one to do markings and textures.

Super job,

Mike D.

Good work ordway :good:

I been looking tho, there isnt an F-102 available right?

Seems like the one we have, Delta Dart is pretty much an improved version of it (just now reading up on both)

So its all cool..

edit: well ok Mike clarified it for me

Edited by pureblue

Good work ordway :good:

I been looking tho, there isnt an F-102 available right?

Seems like the one we have, Delta Dart is pretty much an improved version of it (just now reading up on both)

So its all cool..

edit: well ok Mike clarified it for me

That's correct, there isn't a F-102 out yet. I am waiting too. However, if someone wants to come out with an even more accurate F-102 cockpit, that is fine with me.

Ordway, its a peach to smackdown the gunsight. I used the gunsight to stack a classical junkpile. For my use, I raised it a pinch, then rotated it 45 degrees.

F-106-5.jpg

Discussion on this here, scroll down some ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...a&start=168

[Move12]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=SightTube

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=00.09

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=00.09

Set[02].Value=1.0

:

:

:

[Move14]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=SightTube

MovementType=ROTATION_X

Set[01].Position=45

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=45

Set[02].Value=1.0

Ordway, its a peach to smackdown the gunsight. I used the gunsight to stack a classical junkpile. For my use, I raised it a pinch, then rotated it 45 degrees.

Discussion on this here, scroll down some ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...a&start=168

[Move12]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=SightTube

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=00.09

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=00.09

Set[02].Value=1.0

:

:

:

[Move14]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=SightTube

MovementType=ROTATION_X

Set[01].Position=45

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=45

Set[02].Value=1.0

Good job Lexx.

The F-102 had an optical sight according to the pilot's manual:

f106manual.jpg

So If I moved the gunsight, would it disappear altogether so that one could not be used at all?

If you, or anyone else, have any more suggestions, please inform me. I would love to take the two moving map rings and move them down out of the way. I did move them and got them to just show gray now...but I would like even the gray rings gone so I can put switches down.

Edited by ordway

Swapping to round guages -- that is ~sweet~ I never thought that was possible. Ordway this is really nice.

Did F-102 have a gunsight? If so ignore the mess that was poasted above.

Right. Optical sight...for IR missiles and rockets I guess.

You are goodtogo there. You can move the F-106 gunsight as desired, or move it out of view if needed.

Why does the stick have twin grips?

The right grip was used to fly the aircraft. The left grip was used to work the radar and moved independently of the right grip.

"(The stick) occupied the traditional center location, but was later moved to the side at USAF insistence in order to ensure an unrestricted view of the Horizontal Situation Indicator.

This arrangement turned out not to be viable, and the control column was later moved back to the center and provided with a two-handed grip for both radar and aircraft control.

"There were further problems with the MA-1 fire control system and with the cockpit layout. Originally, the control column had occupied the traditional center location, but was later moved to the side at USAF insistence in order to ensure an unrestricted view of the Horizontal Situation Indicator.

This arrangement turned out not to be viable, and the control column was later moved back to the center and provided with a two-handed grip for both radar and aircraft control.

The right-hand grip was used for control of the aircraft and the left-hand grip was used for operation of the radar. A button in the middle of the yoke gave the pilot control of the radar antenna, and another button on the left grip enabled the pilot to put the pipper on the target by following directions on the radar scope. The pilot selected the missiles to be fired by using a switch on the left console, with the trigger that was used to launch the missiles being on the right hand grip."

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f106_1.html

Edited by ordway