Sign in to follow this  

Stupid question,

Apart from doing seperate game installs is it possible to associate specific aircraft to specific maps/terrains.

Many Thanks.

A far as I'm aware you'd have to do a separate install then just delete or add the a\c you wanted.

Caveat: I may be wrong (yep it happens occaisionally!).

Ok...I"ll as the dumb question:

Flyable or Parked??

The answer to either is YES.

Parked aircarft can (I personally believe SHOULD) be placed as terrain objects; just like any other building.

BUT....(you know this was coming!)

WoI already does this by pulling the parked aircraft from the /Aircraft folder; this is done via the new 'things' added to WoI , and these will be added to SF/WoV/WoE when the patch arrives. It does it automatically, based on the aircraft available service years (I think!)

Now, that dosn't mean that all the terrains will get the parked birds; if the airfield data inis are present INSIDE the terrain folder, the engine will look INTO and USE those first (the various inis that is). So, take my Libya upgrade, as it has the airfield inis already in place internally, and even if you put the terrain folder into WoI, you still don't get the approiate parked birds.

This can be fixed by, after the SF/WoV/WoE patch comes out, by using the new style inis.

BUT (yet another one!), if you've assigned parked aircraft via the targets and types inis (ie: as terrain objects) there may be conflicts between the placements of the 'static terrain object aircraft' and the game engine placed ones.

ok, on the flyable...

I can assume we're talking about an era specific or Theatre specific type of install???

Something along the lines of OTC, the recently released Falklands mod, or the soon to come Desert Storm or WW2, where the approiate aircraft are included, and the 'generic stock' ones are eliminated.

Let's start with WW2, as that's the easiest and most understood....

Let's say you want a PTO mod install; just the aircraft and ground objects needed to fight in the SoWesPac, Central and Eastern Pacific (ie: Australia, Solomons, Phillipines, Okinawa/Home Islands)

You'd delete all the jets that are stock...that is to say EVERY aircraft! Add the necessary IJN/IJAAF and Allied aircraft, and the approriate GroundObjects. Of course, the terrains as well. You'll have to look around, and probably create 'nation-specific' aircraft, meaning the EXPORTED tag would say FALSE (something like RNZAF Corsairs, or Oscars). You'd also need the Theatre specific skin sets for said aircraft; the worst offenders would be the Japanese birds, as they were used pretty much everywhere (excepting the Zeros in the CBI theatre - if doing a 'Flying Tigers' type, you'd only have the Burma and China maps).

Same would go for Europe; you'd need 2 installs for that: ETO and MTO, again with the theatre approriate skins. It looks kinda odd having desert pink B-25s flying over Paris, doncha think??

Anyway, that'll get you started further down on the Road to Confusion! I've written several tutorials on this in the Knowledge Base; what I"ve put here is basically reiterating what's already there.

Basic Rule of Thumb for Era Specific Installs:

Research, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH!!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Planes for Terrains? Is that like Hats for Bats?

Planes for Terrains? Is that like Hats for Bats?

Or Snakes on a Plane?

Or the Crowning Glory of the Them All

Eels On A Hovercraft!!! :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein