Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

Air Force shakeup

wow!

:blink:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Air Force Chief Moseley Resigns; Wynne May be Next

June 5, 2008 -- Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley has resigned, Inside the Air Force has learned.

Top-level Pentagon officials gave Moseley the option to resign or be fired during a meeting this morning, according to a military official. Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne also could resign later today, this official said.

The news comes as the Pentagon is readying to release a report on an Air Force gaffe in which the service mistakenly shipped four ballistic missile detonators -- instead of helicopter batteries -- to Taiwan. The incident occurred three years ago, but was discovered in March.

In August 2007, six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles were accidentally flown across the United States from Minot Air Force Base, ND, to Barksdale AFB, LA, on board an Air Force B-52 bomber. Air Force officials discovered the aircraft’s highly dangerous cargo only after the bomber landed at Barksdale that same day.

This week, word surfaced that Minot failed a high-profile nuclear inspection. -- Marcus Weisgerber

June 5, 2008

Inside Washington Publishers

U.S. Air Force secretary, chief to be asked to resign

STAFF REPORT

Federal Times.com, June 05, 2008

U.S. Air Force Secretary Michael W. Wynne and Chief of Staff Gen. T Michael Moseley are expected to be asked to resign today, Defense News has learned.

The stunning development follows a series of high-profile scandals and disagreements between Air Force leadership and Defense Secretary Robert Gates during the past year, during which both the Pentagon and Congressional leadership have increasingly expressed frustration about the Air Force’s top bosses.

The last straw appears to be a report on nuclear weapons handling by Navy Adm. Kirkland Donald, director of naval nuclear propulsion. The critical report convinced Gates that changes must be made.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen recalled Moseley to Washington for an early morning meeting today. Moseley had been hosting a four-star conclave of top Air Force leaders at the thrice-yearly Corona leadership conference at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Following that meeting Moseley returned to Corona with Air Force public affairs chief Brig. Gen. Darren McDew.

Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England is en route to Wright-Patterson, sources said. He is expected to meet with Wynne and ask for his resignation.

It is not clear how quickly these changes could take effect.

Navy Capt. John Kirby, Mullen’s spokesman, declined to comment but did not deny the story.

It is not yet known who will succeed both men, but Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Duncan McNabb will likely become acting chief of staff.

Sources said other senior officers could also be relieved.

Thank GOD....had no use for either of them.

Just saw this on MSNBC.com. Things can only go up now...there's no imaginable way they could get worse!

I have been wondering and wondering where my stupid ballistic missile detonators went. :dntknw:

Just saw this on MSNBC.com. Things can only go up now...there's no imaginable way they could get worse!

Yes, they could. What if Rumsfeld came back? or if McNamarra was resurrected? It can always get worse.

"there's no imaginable way they could get worse!"

wanna bet?

wanna bet?

Return of McPeak? Could that have been worse?

Return of McPeak? Could that have been worse?

speaking from personal experience, yes, in a lot of ways it was.

Just watched the press conference by the Secdef. This is focused on all of the nuclear handling problems that have come up. For all of us who have ever been involved in the handling and control of nuclear weapons, the language used to describe this situation is earth-shattering and appalling. It is almost beyond comprehension that the situation has deteriorated to the level described.

on a more positive note - promotion opportunities within the USAF will be opening up soon...................

Well, Minot AFB failing their latest Nuclear ORI didnt help much. Especially after they were the ones who flew with lives nukes.

Personally, I'm glad these two are out. The above is a drop in the bucket as to the damage they've done to this Air Force. It will take years to correct it all.

Storm

I sincerely hope this is good news for our USAF brothers. I have learned too well there is no such thing as new and improved but I'm scared as hell of McCaine or Wacko Bama's "change". Heineuos! I Don't personally know anybody in a unit that failed an ORI / ORE. I can't imagine what it would be like.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Being at a base that has had several consecutive excellent and outstanding ORI's in a row, I personally can't fathom failing one. Especially when they had such a highly publicized failure and then had MANY months to rectify the issues.

Being at a base that has had several consecutive excellent and outstanding ORI's in a row, I personally can't fathom failing one. Especially when they had such a highly publicized failure and then had MANY months to rectify the issues.

concur. We always got ours done right.

after flying with the SAC guys at Offutt for several years to read of these problems is real mind-warping to say the least. I read one report where they failed their re-inspection because -

a security guard used an unauthorized cell phone to play a video game while on watch instead of paying attention to his post.

SAY WHAT?!!!!!!!

therein lies the failure of leadership there through that entire chain of command starting with and including the NCO in charge right on through the entire chain of officers above them.

:bad:

the SECDEF announced a board to review over a hundred GO's and Col's concerning various aspects of this and overhaul the systemic problems with the USAF revealed by the initial investigations.

a lot more heads are going to roll.

:whip:

I suspect something like the old SAC will get resurected before this is done.

on the postitive side -

promotion opportunities will be opening up eventually!!

i bet curtis lemay is turning over in his grave!!

Try being stationed at one of the spotlighted bases, this is not what I wanted to deal with, more BS. At least we can pass our NSI.

Holy crap, and I thought the Corps was getting bad publicity the last few years. WOW. We get bad publicity for throwing a puppy over a cliff, I mean, come on, seriously.

Edited by Jarhead1

i bet curtis lemay is turning over in his grave!!

I'm not sure when Curtis Lemay wasn't turning over in his grave.

:ph34r: CL

Moseley was the Second coming of McPeak, dude...think of it: random uniform changes, massive drawdown in force, misguided appropriations, disgruntled force, bad press, re-organization of re-organized organizations, maintenance and ops in the same squadron (again, again?)...the only thing he did not get around to was re-naming AFI (which, no doubt was in his plans)...oh, forgot completely disconnected from JCS / Force / reality...

Especially enjoyed his focus on fitness...look at the guy in a full-length shot...if they could fit him in the screen...

Hate to see someone lose their job, but this guy was awful for us...never knew why they picked him and let a handful of good 4-stars retire instead...

And the Sec? Nice...about as inspiring as Jell-O...at least Rosch was fun to watch

Cheers