Sign in to follow this  
column5

About Damn Time...

There seems to be an awful lot of prosecutions of military personnel performing their duties in a war zone, which after long and expensive judicial proceedings are found to be baseless. A great example was the trial of Marines for returning fire after a car-bombimg and ambush in Afganistan. The last newspaper article I saw, all those involved were absolved of any wrong doing.

This crap must really help the morale of our forces placed in harm's way.....

Soon there will be more solicitors (lawyers) on the battlefield than medics.

War is hell. Our armed forces are there to do a job. Let 'em get on with it. They are laying their bodies on the line every day on active deployment.

What they need is support, respect and thanks.

This kind of thing quite frankly makes me puke.

I'll say no more 'cos this riles the **** out of me.

A great example was the trial of Marines for returning fire after a car-bombimg and ambush in Afganistan. The last newspaper article I saw, all those involved were absolved of any wrong doing.

Another good example is the disproved accusations that were brought against Colonel Tim Collins.

You say that like it's a bad thing :wink:

as long as there are more bullets than lawyers it could be a good thing!

:biggrin:

as long as there are more bullets than lawyers it could be a good thing!

:biggrin:

To quote the old saying....

"First we kill all the lawyers"

Soon there will be more solicitors (lawyers) on the battlefield than medics.

War is hell. Our armed forces are there to do a job. Let 'em get on with it. They are laying their bodies on the line every day on active deployment.

What they need is support, respect and thanks.

This kind of thing quite frankly makes me puke.

I'll say no more 'cos this riles the **** out of me.

I'm feeling EVERY word! Every Freaking word!

First let me set something straight seeing as how I left Camp Pendleton in August of last year, I PERSONALLY worked with Lt. Grayson in Operation Phantom Fury in the 2nd Battle of Fallujah. I was tasked with supporting mulitple units in 3/5 and 3/1 and got to work for him and others including a Capt Kimber who was also on trial for this. Capt Kimber was Lt Graysons Company Commander. I KNOW FOR A FACT, 3/1 is an OUTSTANDING unit and was the tip of the sword and WOULD NOT have fired if they knew 100% that they were completely NON COMBATANTS. I want to see some senator or congressman go out on a patrol, see his buddy/buddies get killed in front of him, be taking enemy indirect(mortars) and direct(smallarms) fire and have all the time in the world to make the ideal decision WITHOUT getting his troops killed because of his incompetence. I am sorry, if I piss anyone off here with my commentary, grow thicker skin. This is what combat is like, IF YOU TAKE UR TIME MAKING A DECISION, PEOPLE DIE, hands down. AND IT WILL BE UR PEOPLE THAT DO THE DYING!!!!! When people start attacking the people that fight for their rights to bitch and whine and complain and moan, then maybe freedom of speech and freedom period shouldnt be for you and u should go to a country that is under communist rule and see how u like that. Thats all I have to say. Again IF YOU DONT LIKE MY OPINION, DONT READ IT. Because obviously the truth hurts.

First let me set something straight seeing as how I left Camp Pendleton in August of last year, I PERSONALLY worked with Lt. Grayson in Operation Phantom Fury in the 2nd Battle of Fallujah. I was tasked with supporting mulitple units in 3/5 and 3/1 and got to work for him and others including a Capt Kimber who was also on trial for this. Capt Kimber was Lt Graysons Company Commander. I KNOW FOR A FACT, 3/1 is an OUTSTANDING unit and was the tip of the sword and WOULD NOT have fired if they knew 100% that they were completely NON COMBATANTS. I want to see some senator or congressman go out on a patrol, see his buddy/buddies get killed in front of him, be taking enemy indirect(mortars) and direct(smallarms) fire and have all the time in the world to make the ideal decision WITHOUT getting his troops killed because of his incompetence. I am sorry, if I piss anyone off here with my commentary, grow thicker skin. This is what combat is like, IF YOU TAKE UR TIME MAKING A DECISION, PEOPLE DIE, hands down. AND IT WILL BE UR PEOPLE THAT DO THE DYING!!!!! When people start attacking the people that fight for their rights to bitch and whine and complain and moan, then maybe freedom of speech and freedom period shouldnt be for you and u should go to a country that is under communist rule and see how u like that. Thats all I have to say. Again IF YOU DONT LIKE MY OPINION, DONT READ IT. Because obviously the truth hurts.
And ANY Combat Soldier KNOWS that IF AND WHEN HESITATION ENTERS THE MIX DEATH IS SURE TO FOLLOW!! It is them or us! Jarhead1 you have ZERO reason to apologize for you dead on commentary!

Semper Fi Kevin

I'll second that. I've never been in that type of situation, but I feel (given the evidence), that those Marines did the right thing.

I personally KNEW some of those Marines, and I knew 2 of the Marines that were killed by the IED. Those SOBs are lucky thats all they got. I woulda been bringing in A/C with JDAMs personally but thats just me.

And if any of yall want to talk to me, I am on ICQ regularly, my ICQ number is 471-942-593. Drop me a line and add me as a friend and I will tell you "MY THOUGHTS" on things. LOL

Edited by Jarhead1

Well said Kev.

Spot on.

The only reason why these troops are being falsely charged is because there are dumb ass politicians who think it will make them look good for the moment, making it look like that they're "sympathetic" to the "victims" (a.k.a. insurgents/terrorists) that have been killed/maimed by our troops. They're hoping that the public will see this and have a favorable view towards these politicians who filed these false charges and give them, the politicians, more support for whatever agenda they have. Unfortunately, the majority of the public is easily bought by the false allegations, and what is even more unfortuante, once the truth comes out, it false on deaf ears. The public will continue to have this bad view of our troops based on a lie. What is even more discouraging, is that these politicians who had made these false allegations won't face any charges, or anything serious enough that would keep them or anybody else from doing this again.

Yeah, pretty much, and like I said earlier, I can vouch for alot of the guys including Lt Grayson. I got to work for em a little in Fallujah and they are professionals when it comes to target engagement and rules of engagement. The aquittals are proof positive.

You have to admit, 24 deaths is pretty excessive and no matter what, should be investigated, irrespective of whether charges are leveled at the Marines or not. What sh*ts me about this whole debacle is how even before the results of the trial have been investigated, the Soldiers in question have already been condemned. As far as I saw, nothing was revealed about the civilians involved in this incident (not just the victims) but what I have seen in articles in the past, some media outlets will still refer to civilians who fire at or return fire as civilians!

It just really bugs me how it's become "playing the man, not the ball" when reporting from war zones. If you don't like the procedures, fine, protest the procedure, but if they have a job to do and rules of conduct to follow... and they're followed, don't look to lynch the poor bastard for doing their job! It's easy to tar everyone with the same brush just as it's easy to assign fault and say "Yep, it's those Yanks fault", but in Journalistic terms, summary judgments like that're just a race against the Foxes or The Suns to the bottom...

Wow... That was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? :blink:

did you guys watch the movie?

given the overall direction the movie was taking right from the start, the thing i found surprising, was that several real marines who served in iraq played in it.

resulting in the immediate admission of false accusations and resignation by various Congressional representatives and Senators.

right.........................

You are on to something here Typhoid, veterans groups and current members of the armed forces should be demanding the resignation of Political Opportunists and traitors such as Senator Harry Reed, pressure should be applied to the extent that the media is forced to cover the facts of the issue. Imagine how the media would cover of thousands of veterans in uniform marching on Washington, is an idea who's time has come if you ask me.

Edited by Icarus999

Yet no charges against the real perpetrators of all of the fatalities at Haditha. Those that initiated the ambush and used civilians as human shields. Any investigation to find those people? No, I didn't think so. The day this was first reported by Americans posing as objective journalists I knew it was propaganda by those who support our common enemy. Over time, the truth always prevails while lies don't. Maybe I knew this from my time on active duty as a Marine Infantryman for thirteen years. Or maybe a lifetime of seeing how the American News Media has lied to the American public time and time again. The rules of engagement are rules of life or death. Deadly force rules are known by any infantryman before he ever gets deployed to an area of imminent danger. Usually an intense eighteen month training evolution for first timers. Only units that pass all combat proficiency tests are deployed into any potential combat area.

Roopod, Semper Fi, I am no 0311 or a grunt period, but i got my share of triggertime and then some in my 3 tours. Thanks for the support for these guys, but not ALL reporters are bad, as we had some imbedded media with us in OIF1 and they told the TRUTH.

Semper Fi. You don't have to apologize for anything. Your words are striaght forward.

Falcon

Im a reservist who has been deployed twice to Iraq for a total of 26 months and I know that when fear is involved people make alot of mistakes. Now I dont know the inner workings of this case and Im pretty sure nobody here does either so I dont have opinion if someones guilty or not. If the tribunal found the defendents are not guilty then thats fine becuase they had their day in court. But what I do know is that when you have an enemy that is indegionous like the majority of insurgents in Iraq. They have the ability to blend in with the local civilain population that threat of incidents like this rise. The world is not black and white its gray. Are guys are capable of horrible stuff to. So when this story first came out I didnt know if the Marines were guilty or of if it was Time just trying sell more magazines. There alot of stuff from my deployments that I will take with me to the grave. Things that Im not proud of. This post is not going to make very popular with alot you and thats fine. But what I do know that if you want to be the "good guys" then you have to take the high road. If military deemed it necessary to hold a court martial hearing than the most have been something there. About the partisan stuff, John Murtha might be a crook but he did spend 38 years in the Marines so saying that he thought that they were guilty couldnt have been easy for him. Im glad that some Marines were not found guilty. However I think the Majority have been given immunity so it seems there might be some convictions on the way. The first thing that I swore to defend when I raised my right hand was the Constitution and thats what binds us to the domestic and the international laws that we have agreed to adhere to. The right thing to do is hardly ever the easy thing to do.

John Murtha might be a crook but he did spend 38 years in the Marines so saying that he thought that they were guilty couldnt have been easy for him.

This is the only thing you said that I take issue with. Power and politics corrupt. Look what it did to Randy Cunningham. Murtha is a corrupt piece of crap who sold these Marines out for political gain.