F7U Cutlass

Vought F7U-3M Cutlass by MarcFighters

A Stand-Alone aircraft for SF/WoV/WoE/WoI

This is a General Release of Marcello's F7U Cutlass Beta -(minus), as such it IS an incomplete aircraft, with many parts of the physical model either non-functional (ie: control surfaces, etc), or semi-functional. Please consider this a "Beta - (minus)" type of release.

It is a complete aircraft, with respect that all the bits needed to unzip and fly away are included. It is fully carrier capable, and has been tested off various US carriers.

I've tried to do what I can, with ini edits and other 'tweeks' to make it more functional. I don't think they came out too bad. We can only hope that in the future, Marcello releases a finished version. I'm doing this, simply because many people want this aircraft in their stable, even with all the warts still on it :) I hope Marcello dosen't mind!!

So, please take this in the spirit given.

Said data ini edits make the aircraft fully carrier capable (!!), via a ''virtual'' tail hook. A full cockpit, based off the F-4Bs in included, as are all the inis. The avionics ini includes an audio-only RWR, beeping ONLY on the 'track sound'. These are basically missile-armed interceptors, with 2 of the 4 20mm guns removed. As such, it is still a fully capable ground attack aircraft, carrying rocket pods and bombs.

It has a new skin, representing F7U-3Ms from VA-116 , aboard USS HANCOCK during the 1957 time frame. It's one of the few squadrons that painted their aircraft in the gull-gray/white scheme; most of the Cutlass' were left natural metal. The skin was created from a template I drew up, based on the UVmaps supplied in the original limited release in 2006 (?). Templates ARE included, as I'm not real happy with the skin in some respects; it needs further work and there are some bits on the map I can't figure out. So, if any other skinners want to have a crack at cleaning it up; have at it my brothers and sisters!!! :) Panel lines need some additions, small vent details, etc, etc, etc.

New, historical decals are included for 25 aircraft; modex numbers and BuNums that ARE 100% accurate, as they are real serial numbers as issued by the US Navy BuAer. Those marked with a star (*) in the number list are actual aircraft from VA-116; the other are fill-ins. Meaning, I could find a listing (read: photo) of the others.

It is set up to use the Bunyap Pak, as only it contains the VERY early Sparrow missiles, and the drop tanks. I've set it to use the drop tanks from FoxMontor's F3H Demon, as they have nearly the proper shape and size. Loadout configurations are a 'best guess' in some cases; there is an extra set of pylons built into the aircraft, that I've used for rocket pods in the CAS and Armed Recon mission assignments. In real life, the -3M that this 'represents', only had the fuselage and wing stations. So, consider this something between the F7U-3M and A2U, even though the A2U never went beyond a planning stage, and had 4 more stations for air-to-ground ordanance.

A revamped, newer, cleaner version of my really old Cutlass Hangar Screen is included.

It it advised that if you are using the Mirage Factory Pak, that you copy/import the necessary early style weapons. I've supplied all the necessary bits; they and the accompanying text file with the weapons' data, are in the /weapons folder in the "xtra_stuff" folder.

As it is a complete aircraft, it should also be usable in WoI, although this particular aircaft has not been tested as such -- BE ADVISED, that WoI handles flight models differently, and I (and the folks that originaly built this) cannot be responsible for "adverse handling conditions, leading to uncontroled flight into terrain". Be that as it may, it should work passably! However, it's my considered opinon, that it NOT be used in WoI.

As usual, read the enclosed readme, all the necessary instructions are included. As well as an extensive Notes & Comments section. Many explainations, hints, other informative goodies are there!

With thanks to Marcello for putting this out several years ago, and wishing him a speedy recovery. This one's for you man!

Enjoy!

Wrench

kevin stein

Great work Wrench. Can't wait to simulate engine flame out and crash into the groud.

I love this Era of military aviation and this is a great addition to my SF fleet.

You should contact PappyChkSix - he have excellent skin for same modell, with very good high rez decals.

Oh thanks ! it's gonna be a cool playground. Are the ailerons, stabs etc inert or is it just a matter of data.ini ?

AWesome!

I was just reading about this plane the other day and thought, "yeah, sure, this one will never get built/finished, it's too obscure," and here it is!

Thanks Wrench!

:clapping:

Thanks for the addition of this somewhat weird plane, so advanced, so let down by the engine builders....

Actually it flies quite sweetly and with the engines more than 60% more powerfull than the originals it's probably indeed what the designers had in mind .

I'm gonna try it out at a somewhat lower weight and with adjusted engines and see what happens :close_tema: :fie:

Aju,

Derk :bye:

I'm hoping Pete will release his skin, now that there's something to put it on!!

Fouga: it's all explained in the readme, if you'd bothered to read it. It's an incomplete model ... there are LOTS of things not working: leading edge slats, rudders, wing fold, alerions/Elevons, the mentioned flaps, etc, etc, etc

Derk: that's why I put it out! Like I said, the engines are waaay to powerful for the real bird. So, if someone wants to 'de-tune' it to reality, go for it!!! :biggrin:

Wrench

kevin stein

Derk: that's why I put it out! Like I said, the engines are waaay to powerful for the real bird. So, if someone wants to 'de-tune' it to reality, go for it!!! :biggrin:

Yes, if someone wants to detune the engines toward a more realistic lower power, please tell me about or post it.

I have multiple color cockpit photos of the Cutlass. Wrench's F-4 cockpit is a good stand in. In reality, photos show that it has just a black instrument panel and not the F-4 gray color. Someday, if I am not busy with something else, I might rework it to a black color and do some other cockpit changes....but nice job Kevin.

Good fun this one and the templates make a quick Royal Navy bird possible...

RNCutlassFAW1-02.jpg