Sign in to follow this  
super61

B-2 crash vid

WAS THAT VAPOR COMING OFF THE WINGS JUST WHEN THE CAMERA PANS TO THE AIRCRAFT OR PARTS? Its kinda hard to tell,

Edited by gwar

The crash on takeoff of a 509th Air Wing, Air Force B-2 Spirit bomber, February 23 operating at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, was caused by water in the aircraft's sensors, according to an Air Combat report issued Thursday. Specifically, moisture in three port transducer units "distorted data introduced by a B-2 Spirit's air data system" which led to flawed information entering the bomber's flight control computers. The aircraft was reacting to inaccurate airspeed and a "perceived" negative angle of attack. This resulted in an "uncommanded 30 degree nose-high pitch-up on takeoff," according to the Air Force.

how this water appear there?

Billion dollar plane goes up in smoke, that's gonna be someone's ass! I missed this story I think. The crew ok?

MSN had said there was a known "fix" for this issue by heating the sensor in question which would evaporate the moisture. However, this was unofficial and known 2 years back, but was never quite communicated to the rest of the line.

That said, glad the crew got out fine.

Billion dollar plane goes up in smoke, that's gonna be someone's ass! I missed this story I think. The crew ok?

Yep. crewmen ejected safely.

Guam is hot. Guam is wet. Electronics don't care for either. :wink:

However, I see this problem all the time...knowledge that becomes "common" to some people but isn't properly communicated. Those at the bottom will likely tell those at the top and assume it's then redelievered to everyone else. Those at the top assume that in addition to being told themselves, the info was also distributed amongst those on the bottom. Bottom line, everyone thinks the other guy is getting the word out so no one does.