Sign in to follow this  
Doc_uk

Great Game But?

1st things 1st, just want to say high to all.......

Just got myself a new thrustmaster hotas cougar, have got lock-on and il2 flight sims, but i was looking for something a bit different

Then i came across this, and got to say, its got the wow factor

So far i have only been messing about in the quickie, fly part of the game, and so far ive managed to get blown out the air, by flak, and i got to say the sounds of the flak are great and shot down, by some real baddies :)

So anybody got any Tips for me, about shoting down the enemy, how close should i be, and so on

Allso is it possible to put out a engine fire, by going into a steep dive?

Anyways great game, and well done to all the modders out there

regards

Doc :cool:

Hi Doc. Welcome to CombatACE! :good:

Since you have Il 2 I'll assume you are familiar with basic flying maneuvers and deflection shooting. FE is a bit different in that speeds are slower and turn radii are smaller. I suggest flying some single missions and spend some time getting used to the flying characteristics of the planes. Also getting CLOSE is a must. I rarely fire at distances over .1 NM (about 185 meters) and most often hold fire until much closer (probably 100 meters or less). I always try and aim for the center of the fuselage where the pilot and fuel tanks (for most planes) are located. You will get quite a few kills by taking out the pilot. Also, IMHO, good deflection (lead) shooting is essential in this sim as the planes are pretty quick and getting a good firing postion on an opponent's six can be difficult.

Since you have Il 2 I'll assume you are familiar with basic flying maneuvers and deflection shooting. FE is a bit different in that speeds are slower and turn radii are smaller. I suggest flying some single missions and spend some time getting used to the flying characteristics of the planes. Also getting CLOSE is a must. I rarely fire at distances over .1 NM (about 185 meters) and most often hold fire until much closer (probably 100 meters or less). I always try and aim for the center of the fuselage where the pilot and fuel tanks (for most planes) are located. You will get quite a few kills by taking out the pilot. Also, IMHO, good deflection (lead) shooting is essential in this sim as the planes are pretty quick and getting a good firing postion on an opponent's six can be difficult.

Thanks so much for the tips, nice one

regards

Doc

Learn to use the missiles. Plenty of help in these forums on how to do that.

Hmmmm....I wonder if you can put a IR seeker head on a La Prieur? :rofl:

Then the rocket would simply fall down after launch. If you could take off with the extra weight of 8 IR seekers.

1st things 1st, just want to say high to all.......

Just got myself a new thrustmaster hotas cougar, have got lock-on and il2 flight sims, but i was looking for something a bit different

Then i came across this, and got to say, its got the wow factor

So far i have only been messing about in the quickie, fly part of the game, and so far ive managed to get blown out the air, by flak, and i got to say the sounds of the flak are great and shot down, by some real baddies :)

So anybody got any Tips for me, about shoting down the enemy, how close should i be, and so on

Allso is it possible to put out a engine fire, by going into a steep dive?

Anyways great game, and well done to all the modders out there

regards

Doc :cool:

Have to agree with a previous poster. Get in as close as you can and pump as many rounds as possible into the pilot/engine.

Also, have a serious look at the add ons produced by the FE gaming community. For me, they turned the game from being an expensive also ran into a very close contender to RB3D. Unfortunately, the campaign game is still rubbish, but that's the fault of the designers, not the modders. The Bloody April add on campaign is excellent and if it had been produced by Third Wire would probably have won awards. It still makes my list of fecking marvellous additions to a standard game, in the same way as the Western Front Patch in RB3D.

As for putting out an engine fire by diving - I appear to end up dead long before I can even think of trying this, but there again I am a completely crap pilot, so that might explain it.

As for putting out an engine fire by diving - I appear to end up dead long before I can even think of trying this

No wonder - in those planes they tended to keep all the heavy stuff close, so pilot would sit on, below or right behind the fuel tank :biggrin: And wood + fabric +oil build isn't the best environment for putting out a fire. In one of the documentaries (IIRC, flying coffins) they even caught on camera a case of minor spontaneous combustion on a replica DR.I in flight.