Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

More Corsairs, anyone?

Just killing some time.,,,,, :haha:

Took the TMF F4U-7 (which IS essentially a -4B), reskinned, redecaled, with some data ini tweeks and came up with this:

f4u4b_vf53.jpg

VF-53, USS ESSEX circa 1950

and this

f4u4b_vmf214.jpg

VMF-214 'Blacksheep' same time frame. Just haven't figured out the prop hub, as it needs to be red as well.

If released, as a 'stand in' whilst waiting for the official TMF release, they'd be 'incomplete' aircraft; just inis, skins and decals. All the F4U-7 bits (lods, damage tgas, cockpit) would have to be transfered over from the Aero Naval version.

Any interests???

Wrench

kevin stein

I wanna fly as Pappy, hehhehehehe

img002.jpg

Thought of the same thing Saturday. What mesh does the Marine aircraft number go on? Fuselage got me a Wonder Woman effect.

Definately want them, guys. The more bent wings from Korea, the better.

Czech6: you mean the Bureau Numbers???

Looking at the screenies, you could have a faulty tga...had this meself cause I goofed on the Alpha channel

In any case, this is the set up I have for the VF-53 bird (you'll have to, of course, changed the pathway names to fit, your number sequence may vary ie: DecalXXX), but this'll give you the position:

[Decal019]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=F4U-4B/VF53/D/BuNum

Position=-3.65,0.10

Scale=0.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal020]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=F4U-4B/VF53/D/BuNum

Position=-3.65,0.10

Scale=0.5

DecalMaxLOD=4

This set up is for the front gear door:

[Decal021]

MeshName=LeftTrappe

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

FilenameFormat=F4U-4B/VF53/D/Num

Position=-1.75,2.28

Scale=0.30

DecalMaxLOD=4

[Decal022]

MeshName=RightTrappe

DecalLevel=2

DecalFacing=BOTTOM

FilenameFormat=F4U-4B/VF53/D/Num

Position=1.70,2.28

Scale=0.30

DecalMaxLOD=4

Remember, even though "they say" 4 decals per mesh, I never go over 3, and the set up I have for VF-53 is at the 3 limit for the fuselage.

If you plan on releasing the Iron Angels skin, I can re-do mine for another squadron. I also plan to leave the BuNum.bmp in, which has the "F4U-4B" and "Navy" tags, with the blank area below so you can insert the actual numbers in. Think of it as a template for the number.

If you look closely, you'll also see the Star/Bar is modified -- there's no blue surround, so it blends right into the paint scheme

Wrench

kevin stein

Love it! Looking forward to D/Ling it.

Greetings from Espana!

Storm

Wrench,

My decal settings were pretty similar. I was talking about the aircraft number under the cockpit on the Marine Corsair. It's probably the four decal limit thing, since I'm using one decal for the star & bar; one for the unit number; one for the serial number; and now trying to move the aircraft number onto the Fuselage. I'll try removing the serial number and see if that works.

Please release yours. I'm not a skinner. I've been using the F4U-1D mod you made with some re-skins I did and using everyone's decal sets that would work. I decided to switch to the F4U-4 after installing it to check out the great cockpit. I just re-colored the MF French Navy skin and drop tank and used the same decal set I was using (some of which are yours). I'm more of a bondo body job skinner.

I do have a radial engine sound file that I really like. I converted it from a CFS2 file and did some tweaking. It's several years old and the download didn't have a readme so I can't give credit to the originator, but someone will probably recognized the file name as I used the same one. Here it is if anyone wants it.

Also, a converted CFS2 merlin/packard sound file from the same CFS2 set:

I also substitute the B-29B slowprop .bmp for all my four prop aircraft as it has more of a blur at slow rpm's, and a good fast disc look.

That's basically what I did...these are 'Frankenstein' skins, using peices and parts from all the TMF Corsairs!! I'm sure Sundowner won't mind me tacking on bits here and there...I just didn't want to re-create the whole templates, so I just added layers where I needed them, redrawing lines and/or rivets as necessary.

The really odd thing is, NONE of my profiles or photos in 5 different books show the BuNums on any of the Marine squadrons!

Ok, so it looks like it's almost time to start writing the readme...got one more skin to finish for VMA-332 "Polkadots''; again, using salvaged parts from another skin, from another TMF Corsair...so there'll be 3 skin set in the package. Take this as a 'thank you' to TMF, Sundowner, and the fact that I'm not including 80% of the needed bits (lods, cockpit, some other inis, damage tgas). But it WILL have a Korean Era Hangar screen!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Here's the 3rd skin, VMA-332 'Polkadots'', again salvaged from another skin (all credit to Sundowner!!!) I just make decals!

f4u4b_vma332.jpg

Sharp eyes will notice the new, Korean-era pilot figure, nearly completed. Just some detail work to finalize. It won't be nearly as good as Diegos, but it'll be something usable

This one is odd -- i've got pictures of 332 with "marines'' only under the port wing, no data on the upper starboard; some with "MR and Number" on the wing...so I don't know which way to go. I"ll probably go with the standard, squadron Letter+number. I'm lazy....

Wrench

kevin stein

Remember, even though "they say" 4 decals per mesh, I never go over 3, and the set up I have for VF-53 is at the 3 limit for the fuselage.

Yep, it was the 4 decals limit. Remove the serial number and the aircraft number under the cockpit shows up without the Wonder Woman effect. Back to work on these this weekend.

Excellent!!! That helps imensely in finished off the TBM-3E -- at lease now I know where they were flying from!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Oops! That P-51 engine wav is the wrong one from some experimenting I was doing. Here's the correct one: