Sign in to follow this  
Dave

You Want Fear

Image:Peacekeeper-missile-testing.jpg

I used to do this for a living. ICBM maintenance. We called this the "Fingers of God"

To give you some reference each one of those would have been 1.7 MT had them been live. That come from one Peacekeeper. At the time there was 50 of them on alert alone.

All I can say is...

Duck, Cover, then kiss your butt goodbye

sq1263.jpg

Amazing pic btw

Edited by ironroad

There's some pics around here from Ascension Island that look like that, from the NOTU shots taken off the cost here.

Gulp!!

:blowup:

I used to do this for a living. ICBM maintenance. We called this the "Fingers of God"

To give you some reference each one of those would have been 1.7 MT had them been live. That come from one Peacekeeper. At the time there was 50 of them on alert alone.

So is that a "star sighting system" in effect there?

It doesnt look like missile fire trails - wouldnt they fade out?

Edited by MigBuster

So is that a "star sighting system" in effect there?

It doesnt look like missile fire trails - wouldnt they fade out?

those are the RV trails as they come in.

in wartime, they would each be followed by "a blinding flash of the obvious".......

:cool:

those are the RV trails as they come in.

I'm not easily scared but that image is more frightening than seeing the obligatory mushroom cloud.

Conveys a real sense of power, dread and forboding.

Good, innit !

It makes me feel proud.I just hope we don't shred the missile force,you never know when you'll need it.

It makes me feel proud.I just hope we don't shred the missile force,you never know when you'll need it.

all one third of it that is left...........

not to sound like some crackpot or Ron Paul but with humanities luck the day after "world peace" is achieved and the last nuke is gone will be the day that an Alien ID4 style invasion will happen. :wink:

not to sound like some crackpot or Ron Paul but with humanities luck the day after "world peace" is achieved and the last nuke is gone will be the day that an Alien ID4 style invasion will happen. :wink:

:rofl::haha::good:

might be a tough sell in Congress!

"World peace",,,hmmm

Something in my opinion the world hasnt known since that one monkey picked up that bone and beat the other monkey with it, and sadly, will probably not know again,

"World peace",,,hmmm

Something in my opinion the world hasnt known since that one monkey picked up that bone and beat the other monkey with it, and sadly, will probably not know again,

That was in 2001: A Space Odyssey, right?

all one third of it that is left...........

And you and I know what that 1/3 could do too. Not to mention the Boomers we have running around.

That was in 2001: A Space Odyssey, right?

Yup, a famous scene. Great flick, even if it doesn't conform to modern ideas of what an SF film should be (namely SF now = SF action, very few SF only like Day the Earth Stood Still or 2001 made now).

I think Gattaca was the last great "pure SF" film I remember. AI tried to go there, but I just didn't get the same feeling from it. Oh, Bicentennial Man, too.

And you and I know what that 1/3 could do too. Not to mention the Boomers we have running around.

I have a vague idea........

:wink:

Don't clearly understand the pic: it's a launch of ICBM? Does not look like...

No, that's the other end. When a MRV separates in orbit and re-enters for impact, each separate warhead takes a slightly different path. This is a test of the entire system using inert warheads (no radioactive materials or explosive to go "boom") showing the impact site in the ocean.

It's a time lapse photo so it looks like lasers or launches but it's really all of the re-entry trails superimposed together.

All right!

How close are they from each other?

It's the first time I see such pic, very impressive and interesting!

Ironically nukes didn't work in the movie so wether we have nukes or not from the "ID4 Alien Invasion" POV is a moot point - in the end, the right application of just a small weapon would do the trick I think (I don't think there had to be other kamikaze attacks on all the other flying battlestations around the world to bring them down, Russel Case was the only one to "go back" :haha: ) .

TBH I thought that after 9/11 Bush was going to push the little red button and let all of Afghanistan disappear under a mushroom cloud - don't think there'd be too many outcries against it, since so many people from all over the world died in that horrendous attack... And sometimes I wonder if in that godforsaken place it wouldn't be better to make more use of tacnukes...