Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

TRON, Tron 2.0, Tron Legacy

So, who admits that the movie TRON affected them in a profound way when growing up?

Mostly, this means anyone under about 35 probably has no idea what I'm talking about...

It was so profound...I never did watch E.T. like everyone else did...

Funny enough, I found out decades later that my wife did the exact same thing when she was a kid!

Recently reading the TRON:Ghost in the Machine comic miniseries...which caused me to watch the movie again...which caused me to boot up TRON 2.0 again. And btw, using the DX9 HDR effects addon alluded to in another thread has nicely 'tweaked' the game...

gallery_12105_43_397025.jpg

gallery_12105_43_568385.jpg

gallery_12105_43_20616.jpg

Monolith really does an FPS right...

FastCargo

Guest USNadpc

I wonder what it would look like if you saw it in the theatres back in 1982 while on LSD?

BTW, what was the name of that other movie that came out at the same time starring Kurt Russel as a merk? He was trying to save the president after being shot down over NY from manhatten because it was a fenced in prison?

TRON was cutting edge at the time. I kind of remember it... J/K Etched in my brain and will never forget the experience.

Reminds me,

Wish I could find Zaxxon for the PC. Although it wasn't a movie I used to love playing that video game. Both were released in 1982/1983 and I have good memories of both.

USNadpc

Edited by USNadpc

i have to see this movie.

i like sci-fi, i loved matrix. and i am a pc-maniac.

so, this one has all the requirements to became my favourite movie.

I wonder what it would look like if you saw it in the theatres back in 1982 while on LSD?

BTW, what was the name of that other movie that came out at the same time starring Kurt Russel as a merk? He was trying to save the president after being shot down over NY from manhatten because it was a fenced in prison?

TRON was cutting edge at the time. I kind of remember it... J/K Etched in my brain and will never forget the experience.

Reminds me,

Wish I could find Zaxxon for the PC. Although it wasn't a movie I used to love playing that video game. Both were released in 1982/1983 and I have good memories of both.

USNadpc

The Kurt Russel movie was Escape from New York.

I remember watching Tron with one of my friends, kind of a hazy memory from childhood. I'm guessing I might need to check it out again.

I only saw TRON when I got the special edition DVD (don't think I'd have much in mind back in 1982, I was probably only about 1 year old when it came out)... When I saw it of course (21st century already) there wasn't anything special about it except for that obvious 80's cheezyness... Curiously I also saw "The Last Starfighter" at the same time in DVD, and was more impressed by that... :pilot: Never seen ET though... and LOL, I just recently bought "Escape from NY" in DVD, just for the fun, Kurt Russel's coolness is great, and no matter how cheesy John Carpenter's movies are, I can't help but love them...

I was a teenager in the 80s and I remember TRON, it was pretty cool, those were cutting edge graphics back then.

As for Escape from New York, I loved that movie! Snake was awsome, be sure to checkout Escape from L.A. Its not as good as the 1st one, but still good for a laugh.

Speaking of The Last Starfighter, i had almost forgot about it until i found a VHS version at a fleamarket a few weeks ago, Funny Movie!

Along those same lines of 80s cheesiness, look for Battle Beyond The Stars!

I've got the movie and the game. I clearly remember seeing it when I was 9 in the theaters. I remember kids going around calling each other "programs" for weeks afterwards. Everyone loved Bit, too. "No no no no no no no!!!"

While it was nice they got the 2 main stars other than Jeff Bridges to do the voices for the game, it wasn't the same without David Warner as the bad guy.

The main thing is Tron was the first of its kind. We've had things like the Matrix and the 13th floor and Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity and stuff come later, but Tron was the one that introduced the idea of people living inside computers. It also had that unique visual style and the soundtrack was fresh for the time. By the end of the 80s, we were all sick of that kind of synthesized "music", but again it was new for Tron.

That said, I also liked E.T. and The Last Starfighter quite a bit. Always thought Robert Preston should've sang in that movie, too. :biggrin: However, even when I was young I saw Battle Beyond the Stars for what it was--a cheap way to try and cash in on the Star Wars craze. Only Sybil Danning's outfit made it worth watching. :wink:

I have the special edition DVD. Still one of my favorites to watch. Anyone remember Megaforce?

Barry Bostwick in skin tight lycra (ugh!) riding tricked out motorcycles and dune buggies,

with no plot.....Hell yeah I remember....That was great!!!

Barry Bostwick in skin tight lycra (ugh!) riding tricked out motorcycles and dune buggies,

with no plot.....Hell yeah I remember....That was great!!!

Funny, I don't recall Barry Bostwick in Tron.....he was in another 80's film that I enjoy very much, though... Red Flag, the Ultimate Game.

Funny, I don't recall Barry Bostwick in Tron.....he was in another 80's film that I enjoy very much, though... Red Flag, the Ultimate Game.

He was referring to Megaforce ;) Which I still watch on occasion while drunk just for giggles!

TRON - A CLASSIC!!!! Never gets old, and I'm only 27

The Last Starfighter - Good for a laugh as well!

The main thing is Tron was the first of its kind. We've had things like the Matrix and the 13th floor and Lawnmower Man and Virtuosity and stuff come later, but Tron was the one that introduced the idea of people living inside computers.

Exactly my man! Long before terms like 'cyberspace','virtual reality','the matrix', etc entered social discourse, TRON pioneered the concepts on screen.

Also, things like 'The Last Starfighter' were pretty, but still used the same old 'lone star pilot against incredible odds' concept in Star Wars...and so I felt it was just a ripoff.

TRON was unique in that 'man against computer' was done before...but never fighting the computer from the inside...the idea of an entire world inside the computer. In addition, it was a sing out to the emerging gamer population...those youngers who watched the movie and played those arcade games as kids were all the ones who later became the movie CGI, special effects, game console and computer game designers of today. It's amazing how many of those of my generation who are gamers find that movie to a defining experience...for all it's cheeziness.

FastCargo

Megaforce? Yeah! Motorcycles with missiles...and 80's Rock Hair...awesome!

Tron was cool...played the PC Game...awesome!

I have the special edition DVD. Still one of my favorites to watch. Anyone remember Megaforce?

oops....sorry guys...Dave got me off topic with the Megaforce comment.

....Red Flag: the ultimate game.....was that Barry Bostwick and William Devane? Yeah! I remember watching that when I

was a kid.

Sorry....did I just attempt to hijack the thread again? Damn.

I LOVE Tron. Got me the 20th anniv. DVD set. It took me two times to really 'get' the movie, but I think its great. Also a fan of the game Tron 2.0 (Lightcycles rawk). I can't believe it didn't get best effects because the board thought the team had "cheated" by using a computer. Now, everything's CGI, and the computers don't break every 30 minutes!

Edited by Caesar

Greetings, programme :biggrin:

Saw it in the theatre originally, got the DVD, got the game & of course it didn't hurt that Journey were involved with the soundtrack (seeing them live in 8 days :good:).

Journey with their new leading man...have a rather mildly interesting story regarding that...

waits with bated breath ...

He seems to be going down quite well with the crowds going by the reviews so far.

I'm still waiting for my US Import version of Revelation to turn up. :(

The idea of a bunch of outlaws who destroy the whole system was very attractive, probably that's why i became a trashy punk some years after (and i'm still a trashy punk at 40)

AD, if you haven't already, then for the reason stated you have to check out Blake's 7 (as we are talking 80's trash here :yes: )

Back on topic:- TRON the movie, I have 2 DVD versions on the shelf, the game is a permanent install on my so-called "business" laptop, and yes, the lightcycles ROCK :ok:

Edited by Baltika

you can't call Blake's 7 trash ... :nono:

Servalan & Soolin were hot :idhitit:

blakes7.jpg

you can't call Blake's 7 trash ... :nono:

Servalan & Soolin were hot :idhitit:

blakes7.jpg

Nice Liberator shot :biggrin:

Personally, I had a permanent crush on Jenna Stannis from series 1 & 2 :yes:

I've heard rumors of a Blake's 7 remake/sequel. Not sure how reliable they are.