Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

I'm officially the worst sim combat pilot ever!

I've been downed in a F-15 by a libyan Mirage F-1... :blush2:

That´s usual

remember that these mirages ate tomcats in Iran-Iraq war

In middle 80s, f-15s from Zaragoza AFB were beaten often by spanish and french mirage F1 in dissimilar comabt training

Thats not that worse i get downed in an F18 by an MiG-17...

I would like to say "shame on you! ahaha" but but when flying an F-14 sweep, i downed mig-25, 23 & 21, in BVR, dogfight and even a "combat manouver kill" (a mig-23 tried to dive at me- 30ft AGL!) and then, a s**t-17 killed me above their runway (i was bragging em, low speed and altitude)

i think i beat you. About 80% of my shot downs are from ground fire. i can't seem to avoid those Surface to Air missles.

i think i beat you. About 80% of my shot downs are from ground fire. i can't seem to avoid those Surface to Air missles.

Thats probably about right - depends which SAMs though - in WOV for example only the SA-2F model 5 will get you most of the time without chaff unless you dive to the deck - and sticking the defence on heavy means about 20 - 30 fired at you every mission (in 1972) - even if you can avoid 1 good luck holding your ground and trying to beat 3 at a time!

Thats probably about right - depends which SAMs though - in WOV for example only the SA-2F model 5 will get you most of the time without chaff unless you dive to the deck - and sticking the defence on heavy means about 20 - 30 fired at you every mission (in 1972) - even if you can avoid 1 good luck holding your ground and trying to beat 3 at a time!

Which is why the only Linebacker campaigns I've ever survived were flying A-7's on the deck.

I take out the targets I'm supposed to, then, as long as I have fuel, I stick around for as long as i can to help everybody else out. I've downed MiG-21s after a bomb run in an A-7! However, I usually run out of fuel on final and just barely make it back, or I get in too big a dogfight for my bomber and I get my tailpipe full of missile or guns.

I take out the targets I'm supposed to, then, as long as I have fuel, I stick around for as long as i can to help everybody else out. I've downed MiG-21s after a bomb run in an A-7! However, I usually run out of fuel on final and just barely make it back, or I get in too big a dogfight for my bomber and I get my tailpipe full of missile or guns.

Yeah done that so many times - but im a lot better at fuel management these days - still, there should be a tanker waiting- like in RL - so thats one excuse I use! :biggrin:

My biggest killer are those damn Shilkas, I shoot down a flight of Su27's(mind you, my modern Soviet A-A missiles are un-lamed and no joke at all) I evade several SA6's and then the darn Shilka cut's my F-15E in halfwith 0.5 sec burst when I get to bomb their runway....

Which is why the only Linebacker campaigns I've ever survived were flying A-7's on the deck.

Using the stock set up the floor is the only place to be if you want to live if sa-2fs are around - better off taking chances against the red laser fire than the sa-2F - even with the QRC-160-1 - which is c**p. The sa-2b/c are easy to avoid - but i have rarely beaten the sa-2F without diving to floor - you could try turning inside it - but its not that easy - particularly in a Phantom - when you realise you are doing about 210kts, have the brakes on and all your bombs still (note: not a good place to be)

From what ive read the NVA negated the QRC-160-1 by creating a "home on Jam" mode for their SA-2s in 1968. This brought the QRC-160-8 (AN/ALQ-87) pod into service which jammed the missiles guidance signals - so they would take off and crash into the ground - hence my game now has one of these with a noise jamming strength of 77 -which allows for them to take off and occasionally score - but eliminates the totally pathetic scenario where my flight climbs to meet the migs but gets decimated by about 7 sa-2fs in 3 seconds flat

I use these from 1970 on the F-4D_Late and F-4E_Late - of which ive created later versions of for post 1970 engagements (when the sa-2f was supposed to come into Vietnam service!) - and this means I dont have to give them chaff and it can be a bit more like what ive read in a 1972/73 Mig Killers book - where SAMs dont seem to be an issue at any altitude (as in they didnt fire when Migs were about much or were just jammed) - or should I say thay are not constantly flying at 400ft worrying about going up to high!

Now I just get shot down by Mig-21s instead :good:

btw not to sure what the F-4J used - some internal ECM possibly but no info on it yet - so they just get whacked still :blink:

My biggest killer are those damn Shilkas, I shoot down a flight of Su27's(mind you, my modern Soviet A-A missiles are un-lamed and no joke at all) I evade several SA6's and then the darn Shilka cut's my F-15E in halfwith 0.5 sec burst when I get to bomb their runway....

Well a tip from me would be fly fast below 1000ft and dont fly in a straight line - if you are over an airfield turn a lot more than normal while changing altitude if you can.

Using the stock set up the floor is the only place to be if you want to live if sa-2fs are around - better off taking chances against the red laser fire than the sa-2F - even with the QRC-160-1 - which is c**p. The sa-2b/c are easy to avoid - but i have rarely beaten the sa-2F without diving to floor - you could try turning inside it - but its not that easy - particularly in a Phantom - when you realise you are doing about 210kts, have the brakes on and all your bombs still (note: not a good place to be)

From what ive read the NVA negated the QRC-160-1 by creating a "home on Jam" mode for their SA-2s in 1968. This brought the QRC-160-8 (AN/ALQ-87) pod into service which jammed the missiles guidance signals - so they would take off and crash into the ground - hence my game now has one of these with a noise jamming strength of 77 -which allows for them to take off and occasionally score - but eliminates the totally pathetic scenario where my flight climbs to meet the migs but gets decimated by about 7 sa-2fs in 3 seconds flat

I use these from 1970 on the F-4D_Late and F-4E_Late - of which ive created later versions of for post 1970 engagements (when the sa-2f was supposed to come into Vietnam service!) - and this means I dont have to give them chaff and it can be a bit more like what ive read in a 1972/73 Mig Killers book - where SAMs dont seem to be an issue at any altitude (as in they didnt fire when Migs were about much or were just jammed) - or should I say thay are not constantly flying at 400ft worrying about going up to high!

Now I just get shot down by Mig-21s instead :good:

btw not to sure what the F-4J used - some internal ECM possibly but no info on it yet - so they just get whacked still :blink:

Without being in front of my gaming comp, is the -87 pods availabe in the weapons pack or are they something you've cooked up for yourself?

Storm

Without being in front of my gaming comp, is the -87 pods availabe in the weapons pack or are they something you've cooked up for yourself?

Storm

I found a skin and lod for it in the version of the pack I have (which may be old) but didnt find an entry for it in the given weapondata.ini

so in this case just made a copy of the qrc-160-1 - they look quite similar anyway tbh (http://www.f-111.net/models/ECM/index.htm)- although I could of course just use the ALQ87 skin and LOD if I want.

To copy just use the weapons editor to open up your weapondata.ini - highlight QRC-160-1 - then hit the "copy weapon" button - which will put a copy at the bottom of the list.

highlight the new entry - click edit and change the TYPE to QRC-160-8 and the NAME to AN/ALQ-87

Only changed Strength to 75 (now ive looked ) and the service year is 1970 - mainly because its an equaliser to the sa2F - which I have also set to start in 1970 - and I dont need it before then - although no reason not to put a reduced strength version in if it bothers you between 1968-1970.

then hit OK then Save.

Would be nice to have my EB-66 providing some jamming for me - but that aint gonna happen without making custom single missions etc

Ive got plenty of pics of F-4Ds and Es from the Linebacker period and there are about 3 different types of pod used (mainly) in the forward left sparrow bay(an easy mod) - although only ALQ-87 and ALQ-101(this does not look similar to the 101 pod used on 70s Brit jets btw) are mentioned in text - so do what you like really - if I get more info it will probably be changed again. :good:

I pulled one of those "Ooh look at that" deaths.

Doing a campaign mission in an F-8E. Took rockets to hit this target. Flew over the target and shot off a bunch of rockets - didn't hit a thing except the ground (and that's only because gravity had a hand in it). Came back in for a second pass and fired off the rest - missed again. Came around a third time (in a grievous violation of the "One Pass, Haul A$$" rule) and strafed the target. At least I can get bullets to hit what I aim at. I order my wing in on another target as I come off low in a turn to the right, trying to get feet wet and away from the AAA. Then, I switched views to watch my wingman's attack.

Bad idea. Kaboom! I augered in while I was enjoying the show.

Refly, please.

Also was doing a recce mission in the Tomcat. Came over the target and got lit up by the SAMs. I'm dropping chaff and maneuvering, nothing too hard and I'm spoofing all the missiles. Did my over-flight and started out, about 2000' maybe. Suddenly, another "launch" warning tone in my ears, and before I can see what's going on, parts of my aircraft are falling to the ground around me. SA-2 mod 5 ate me for breakfast. Sux.

BTW, I've got WOV, and I know it's kinda old. Would anyone recommend trading up to WOE, or possibly WOI?

Edited by gbnavy61

BTW, I've got WOV, and I know it's kinda old. Would anyone recommend trading up to WOE, or possibly WOI?

Although its old WOV should be brought to the same level as WOI with the next patch - so you will still have an up to date game which is unique in being the SEA theatre.

You could get either or both WOI/WOE for the different stock jets/cockpits/terrains/campaigns - or you could just mod multiple versions of WOV (a lot).

At the mo WOI is the most advanced and well worth getting IMO

post-22093-1214471392_thumb.jpg

That's me crashing into a Flogger that I had just gunned down at point blank range.

If that doesn't qualify for the title of Worst. Sim combat pilot. Ever. then I don't know what to say.

Edited by Gocad

Oh, I've done a couple of those, Gocad...

And the Shilkas love to rip me to shreds as well...

But what REALLY surprised me the first time I went against some soviet bombers was... how nicely their tail gunners ripped me apart! :yikes:

Seriously, I was so shocked by it that I got shot down by them on my two next reflys as well! :focus:

Ended up trading in my F-14 for the F-16XL with uber-Sparrow-load... :blush2:

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Even the IL-28 is lethal if you approach from behind it with guns only - you need to fly level to one side of it then turn into its side (easier with a trackir) or attack from the front.

TU-16s are a nightmare - so its usually a mixture of things including diving down or climbing from below them at high speed!

TU-16s are a nightmare

couldn't agree more. i remember when i bought WOI i got a mission to intercept some badgers. okay no prob, i say. my 4 ship formation gets to the intercept area nice and high and then my jaw drops to the floor.

there's a dozen badgers spitting fire like there's no tomorrow. i mean, there's literally a wall of gunfire coming from them. the first impression was: sweet lord, this is the death star!

but i buckle up and dive in anyway.

needles to say the got me on my first pass trying to slash through them from above.

couldn't agree more. i remember when i bought WOI i got a mission to intercept some badgers. okay no prob, i say. my 4 ship formation gets to the intercept area nice and high and then my jaw drops to the floor.

there's a dozen badgers spitting fire like there's no tomorrow. i mean, there's literally a wall of gunfire coming from them. the first impression was: sweet lord, this is the death star!

but i buckle up and dive in anyway.

needles to say the got me on my first pass trying to slash through them from above.

One problem is that if you have to go guns on a large flight - you don't always have the time to take out enough of them by setting up proper attacks - so its easy to get shot down panicking because you are trying to rush things!

The AI wingmen are hopeless - they attack straight from behind - with the normal results!