Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

RAF defeats USAF ...

That is funny as hell!

Top 'tache :biggrin::good:

Here was me thinking, this is another one of those, "Single Eurofighter shoots down 17 F-22" threads, fnar, fnar :wink:

:salute: I guess it's fair to say that this guy's certainly earned his 'bars' :rofl:

Look out RAF pilots, Iranian pilots grow beards also. :rofl::biggrin:

IIRC, beards were disallowed for RAF pilots on security grounds. Bone of contention, or mickey-taking, with the Senior Service, who were allowed beards on account of no barbers being available at sea, or some such excuse.

As Ian Fleming put it, in Moonraker, I think, "Grow a beard and shave your head, and your own mother won't recognise you."

I'm Startled! I thought the only member of or assigned to the United States Air Force that was able to grow a mustache was Robin Olds.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Mustaches actually are fine in the USAF...just the size that matters....so to speak.

The biggest issue with any facial hair is getting a proper seal on the oxygen mask, especially with the newer style where there is an inner 'lip' inside the mask.

Unfortunately, any mustaches I've grown...look like crap. I look much better with a goatee...but can't have that in either job for the same reason as above...

Anyway, congrats to our exchange bretheren...glad he's around!

FastCargo

Mustaches actually are fine in the USAF...just the size that matters....so to speak.

The biggest issue with any facial hair is getting a proper seal on the oxygen mask, especially with the newer style where there is an inner 'lip' inside the mask.

Unfortunately, any mustaches I've grown...look like crap. I look much better with a goatee...but can't have that in either job for the same reason as above...

Anyway, congrats to our exchange bretheren...glad he's around!

FastCargo

Yup! Thats how we lost our beards in the Navy. Told facial and scalp hair had to be cropped for proper fit of flight, DC, and such gear. Not because Cap Weinburger didn't want sailors to look like they could scare women and small children. Of course when Petty Officer 2nd class 9 letters of the alphabet and the rest of the USN, was directed to shave beard off on the first day of 1985 (Correct me Navy Bros) with the lovely logic about flight gear fit. Of course and predictably, Petty Officer 2nd Class 9 letters of the alphabet smartly replied "Bitchin I'll grow my hair out like Petty Officer Bambi Bolishnikov flying off the beech at Cubi Point". Good laugh. All I flew with knew if If I had more then 1/4" hair under my SPH-3 brain bucket I'd be more comfortable as a student at SERE school then have hair long enough to qualify as an identifiable hair style. Our Squadron's skipper, Lt Commander 4 letters directed all members to muster in the hanger on News Years day. Not 1 UA. We all showed on time in compliance with the new directive. No order for a parade formation or such. Lt CDR 4 letters was in the Coffee Mess Shack serving us cups of an adult beverage way more unauthorized then our beards were. Of course 2/3ds of us didn't recognize each other untill about an hour of conversation and 2 or more of the adult beverages. Clean shaven I should of auditioned for a Hollywood bad guy. I could / can scare alot more women and children facial hair free, then in sailor uniform and red beard.

Currently bearded and wearing Nomex. There is alot of technology out to tell us about the temperature. The best one is free. When I smell my beard or mustache getting a hot curl, It's time to bump out.

Edited by charlielima

I grew a mustache when I was in Iraq, then told to shave it off 'cause I looked like Stalin. I can't help it if the middle part doesn't grow any hair. :dntknw:

Thats awesome!

Relaxing the regs a bit during a deployment, not only helps with morale, but also shows that the focus is actually on the war. There are several Sr NCOs and E-9s that need that small reminder.

BTW, I've refueled that dude over the 'Stan. He's a nice chap.

Hi All ,

Yes its mad how much the military have some stupid rules , when i was in the armed forces we were told to merge with the local populance ......dont stick out . However we still stuck out as certain hair styles were not allowed and slightly different but still along the same lines of merge with the local populance . I used to live of camp and so had to come to work in civilian clothes , but obviously had my uniform in my locker at work , this was because of the threat of the IRA at the time . However it was decided that we would have to wear uniform to work but to make it less obvious wear a jacket over the top of it !!! . Which was great in winter but in summer i was that weirdo wearing a jacket on a hot day all red faced and sweating like a suicide bomber !!!! military madness lol

Nathan :good:

charlielima, right you are. 0001, 01.01.1985. All facial hair had to be removed. I was a 1st class then and if we wanted to grow back a moustache we had to submit a request chit up the chain of command. The reason given for no beards was for a tighter seal on DC gear, gasmasks and proper fit of flight gear. The others I could understand, but, my flight gear fit just fine. We even had to submit a chit when I was an E1 for a stache and it had to be approved by CMC and was checked 30 days later to decide if you could keep it. Of course I put no facial hair on sailors right up there with Adm Zumwalt's memo, (infamous Z-grams) about changing our uniforms to suits. Of course my wife wanted my jumper top, looked a sight better in it than I did. Made everybody mad. Only Chiefs wear 'the hat'. Facial hair has been a time honored tradition on sailors of all nations since they went to sea. Why mess with it?

C2

When we where directed to remove beards I distincly remember the lingo: can scare women and small children in the logic somewhere.

From the George Carlin Memorial thread:

Here's my beard

Aint it weird?

Don't be scared

It's just my beard

C2Aaircrew, were you a Rubber Gulf?

Edited by charlielima