Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Yet another airborne oddity...

Since Timmy was kind enough to make the APS-4 radar pod, I just thought I'd try and see what it'd look like on the Lightning

p38m-1.jpg

p38m-2.jpg

Not too shabby; still we'd need to create the hump where the radar operator sat, but that's above my paygrade/skill level.

Still fiddlling!! Got all the accurate serial numbers, too.

Wrench

kevin stein

Looks good W. I always thought a library of basic geometric 3D shapes of various sizes, all with a simple skin, would allow some interesting mutant modding.

btw...your 1024 MiG-17 skin is fantastic. I use it in 512 form but I always try to save memory or performance. I figure it all builds up in very small pieces. Funny, I used to be able to load and run SF in a few seconds after running it the first time -- it all stays in memory. But if I run the 6M map, I lose that memory storage and it always takes about the same time to startup and loadup a mission as the first time.

Man that brings back memories from way back of the Monogram P-38 model kit. It came with the parts to convert it to the nightfighter version with the radar pod and the rear seat and canopy. :biggrin:

You know, TS, I was thinking the same thing when I was working on this!!! I had just about ALL the Monogram 1/48th birds.

There ARE a few actual model of the M out -- you'll be seeing the box art on the Hangar screen, provided I can entice a 3d modeler to build the 2nd pit and then add it via ini edits like the pod or maybe FastCargo's xtra pilot fix ala canards.

I have a couple of drawing of the cockpit pod...so if anyone is brave enough.....

Wrench

kevin stein

That Tamiya one is one of the boxarts that'll be on the Hangar Screen!! :yes:

Here's how it stands now, for VS-23:

vs23_tbm3e.jpg

New template by me, redrawn panel and rivet lines; completely NEW decals -- ALL the markings are decals! Pilot figure's from the -4B Corsair I just released. More period looking than any other right now. I even re-routed the canopy animation, so it opens and closes with landing gear retraction/extension.

I just may attempt that FAA one...the Suez Stripes are gonna be a beeeaayatch!! (some possible mapping issues) Wonder if I can reuse the one's off the FAA Skyraider??? Hmmm......time to break out the old templates from Monty's SPAD....

Have to match that color...off to SimmersPaintShop!!! :rofl:

I could actually have the USN version out by mid-week; just waiting of final permissions.

Wrench

kevin stein

That´s terrific :biggrin: !!!! I´m counting the seconds to see the striped Suez version!!! Wrench, find more details about the RN version in the NET cuz it had a big ´ROYAL NAVY´ letters just below the wing in the fuselage. I´m very excited!!! :clapping: