I've been seeing a lot of pictures on these forums showing water in PF that has high-detail waves, shine and shimmer effects, things like that. I can't find an option to enable that anywhere, and yet, I have a fairly decent graphics card and machine. How does one enable this?

You need a couple of things. First, you have to set terrain to "perfect", that's a must.

Second, you need an nvidia chip-powered video card. Anything else won't do it because Oleg's team only got the support they needed from nvidia. Therefore, the coding only takes advantage of their cards.

Third, you need to go into the conf.ini file and find the line water=x. I think water=4 is the best water you can get.

Hmm. That's really odd. I reinstalled IL2 1946 last night and couldn't find "perfect" terrain. I'm running an Intel dual core at 3.0 gig with 4 gig ram, video card is an 8800 gtx 756mb and 64 bit vista home version. I tried both OpenGL and Directx modes. Any ideas? Oh almost forgot, I patched it up to 4.08m

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

I somehow got the perfect setting this afternoon. Weird. I put in the water=4 entry into the config. I noticed theres a effects line. Anybody fooled with that? Speaking of which, I didn't see any propwash efx while flying real low. EFX glitch?

Falcon

I know I see a "wake" if I fly low enough over the water. I think to see dust blow on the ground I have to fly lower than treetop level, so if it's not flat terrain it's risking a ground flop!

Not sure what that effects line does, but there must be a breakdown of the conf.ini settings somewhere. I think =0 turns off shadows for effects, and =1 has them on, but don't know if 2 or higher has any meaning.