Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Question about adding air units to Red Lightning

Hi all,

I've been able to add air units to campaigns before, and then make them flyable. Simply paste in the data at the bottom of the air-unit section of the campaign data and give it the next available number. Then go into the campaign.ini and add another air unit. However, I've been having a problem with the Red Lightning campaign in WOE. I've been able to change the aircraft for the existing air units, however, I have a problem when I create a new air unit and try and make it flyable.

For example I coppied the data for one of the player flyable F-4E units and pasted it at the end of the air units. I assigned it the next available number (airunit093, I thin it was) and then added a new player flyable unit in the campaign.ini. When I go into the game, my new squadron is available in the dropdown list, but when I select it and start the campaign, the game always either defaults to the F-15 and changes the squadron to the Bunyaps...?

I've done the same thing in custom built campaigns, and not had any problems. I can also simply change the aircraft type of an existing unit in Red Lightning and not have any issues. Does anyone know what the problem may be? Is there some limit on the number of air units or player flyable units?

Thanks!

OK, here is the .ini and data.ini files. If someone would try these out, I would appreciate it. There is one air unit added at the bottom (093) and it is set to be a USN unit. When you start the campaign, you get switched to the 7th TFS... ?

woeCamp2.TXT

WOECAMP2_DATA.TXT

I've seen campaigns with more than 93 air units, so I know I must be missing something. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!!!

Hi malibu :biggrin:

Your problem is in UnitID line in woeCamp2.TXT:

[uSNUnit001]

UnitName=VF-84 "Jolly Rogers"

ForceID=1

UnitID=93 <------------ HERE

StartDate=1979

DescFile=woe2Start.txt

StartText=woe2Start1.txt

Change it to:

[uSNUnit001]

ForceID=1

UnitID=45

StartDate=1979

DescFile=woe2Start.txt

StartText=woe2Start1.txt

VF-84 is 45th unit in UnitID=1 order.

Explanation...

See first unit with UnitID=2:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

//---- WP Air Units

[AirUnit045] <-------- 45th in order of all squadrons, but first in UnitID=2

AircraftType=MIG-27

UnitName=3 IAP

ForceID=2

Nation=SOVIET

Last unit in UnitID=1 was (before you added VF-84):

[AirUnit044]

AircraftType=F-4F

Squadron=JBG36

UnitName=1/JBG 36

ForceID=1

You added VF-84 on the bottom of Units list.

So, your VF-84 is 93th unit in all aquadrons order, but 45th in UnitID=1 squadrons order.

This mean that we haven't got just all squadrons order. We have UnitID=1 order and UnitID=2 order (and if there is third nation with UnitID=3 we have UnitID=3 order etc...). We need distinguish between UnitID squadrons orders.

Probably complicated explanation, but I do not know say it easier. I am not english man :no:

After change you can fly VF-84:

VF-84.jpg

VF-84II.jpg

Edited by kukulino

Hi malibu :biggrin:

Your problem is in UnitID line in woeCamp2.TXT:

[uSNUnit001]

ForceID=1

UnitID=93 <------------ HERE

StartDate=1979

DescFile=woe2Start.txt

StartText=woe2Start1.txt

Change it to:

[uSNUnit001]

ForceID=1

UnitID=45

StartDate=1979

DescFile=woe2Start.txt

StartText=woe2Start1.txt

VF-84 is 45th unit in UnitID=1 order.

Explanation...

See first unit with UnitID=2:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

//---- WP Air Units

[AirUnit045] <-------- 45th in order of all squadrons, but first in UnitID=2

AircraftType=MIG-27

UnitName=3 IAP

ForceID=2

Nation=SOVIET

Last unit in UnitID=1 was (before you added VF-84):

[AirUnit044]

AircraftType=F-4F

Squadron=JBG36

UnitName=1/JBG 36

ForceID=1

You added VF-84 on the bottom of Units list.

So, your VF-84 is 93th unit in all aquadrons order, but 45th in UnitID=1 squadrons order.

This mean that we haven't got just all squadrons order. We have UnitID=1 order and UnitID=2 order (and if there is third nation with UnitID=3 we have UnitID=3 order etc...). We need distinguish between UnitID squadrons orders.

Probably complicated explanation, but I do not know say it easier. I am not english man :no:

After change you can fly VF-84:

Ahhh... I think I get it. Basically, the unit ID isn't just the whatever nth air unit you want to use, but it needs to be the nth air unit with ForceID=1...

Thanks!

Actually, one more question while we're at. Do all the air units need to have different squadrons? In other words, what happens if I have to units with the same "squadron=__"?

Thanks!

Actually, one more question while we're at. Do all the air units need to have different squadrons? In other words, what happens if I have to units with the same "squadron=__"?

Thanks!

It shouldn't cause any problems, after all, you can replace 'squadron=' with 'unitname=', which you have to do anyway if that unit is not included in the Squadronlist.

The 'squadron=' entry has two functions, one has to do with the planning map and the other has to do with the stock skins.

It shouldn't cause any problems, after all, you can replace 'squadron=' with 'unitname=', which you have to do anyway if that unit is not included in the Squadronlist.

The 'squadron=' entry has two functions, one has to do with the planning map and the other has to do with the stock skins.

Ah... Did not know that little tidbit of info. That will be good to know.

Thanks all!