Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Where Do You Prefer To Get Your News?

Topic says it all. What internet outlet of news do you use and why?

Usually the BBC for me. It's simple yet effective, I have a pop-out tab in firefox that gives me the latest news at any time of the day from them. Also anything that isn't a tabloid website since they are full of crap. For an example read anything from the Daily Mail or Mirror.

The BBC normally - in an unlimited flood of information ive no idea what the most trustworthy sources are - so settle for one that may be 50% trustworthy :beta1:

Havnt bought a newspaper for about 8 years either tbh

Varies, often I just click on the news link under google or yahoo and just browse. Mostly I listen to talk radio (WTOP in the DC area) and or read the paper.

If I want to see stories not reported by mainstream media outlets, I'll go to these websites such as newsbusters, drudgereport, frontpagemag, wnd, debka, michellemalkin. But if I want to hear the same news stories reported in the same biased, subjective way I can watch or listen from any of these corporate news sources such as CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, ...etc. Flipping back and forth you can see the same stories almost in the same order every night. So much for a free press. But I'm always looking for new sources of intel.

I go to most of them. I get my news Rashomon-style, get all the different takes and build your own picture from that.

I go to Wikinews, as I support the idea of user-based information, which can be more efficient than a traditional news source since every member can be a reporter.

Guest pfunkmusik

www.wbap.com

pfunk

I go to the Drudge Report for my news. http://www.drudgereport.com/ From there, Matt Drudge has links to about every news source on the planet, plus links to most all the major news reporters and journalists. You can't ask for any more than that.

I watch Fox CNN and ocasionaly MSNBC to get a feel for whats going on.Fox is the closest to fair followed by CNN and MS bring up a distant third.I watch CNN to get "the other" side.I do lots of internet reading from multible sources and even get news right here from you guys.reading any big paper is like masterbating with sandpaper it just rubs you raw with opinions and junk.heck I even listened to Air "america" when it was first on the air for a few minutes before becoming ill.it's nice to be in an exclusive club,me and 2 other listeners were tuning in that day. :slow:

Edited by whiteknight06604

Essentially anywhere I see or hear a headline, most frequently my cable service homepage where I check my main email from, who do a pretty good job of posting articles just by the facts without the analysis or opinion.

Fox is most certainly the farthest from fair. Enter the law of averages, the clustering of scores around the center with few extreme scores. Is it more likely that the one network vastly different from the rest in their coverage is really at the center, or at the extreme? They do a terrible job representing anything even marginally towards the left, usually meek nobodies that just get shouted over and used as a whipping post appear and when they do get to say something, its usually in response to a loaded question. Not to mention how they outright blame liberals/democrats for things.

MSNBC for their liberal pundits like Olberman and Mathews, also have their conservative pundits, like Pat Buchannan, tucker Carlson or Joe Scarborough(who was a republican congressman), so they're by far more balanced as a whole(even though a particular show may not be) than Fox, who has no liberal pundits.

But all cable news is a joke to begin with, trying to keep a news feed 24 hours a day leads to such wasted non-news (*cough* spears family drama *cough*) with only passing mention of international events. And even when they do cover something international (like all the hell in Africa or Myanmar) they just drop their coverage as soon as anything new(however stupid) comes along when there are clearly more serious developments still going on.

Fox is most certainly the farthest from fair. Enter the law of averages, the clustering of scores around the center with few extreme scores. Is it more likely that the one network vastly different from the rest in their coverage is really at the center, or at the extreme? They do a terrible job representing anything even marginally towards the left, usually meek nobodies that just get shouted over and used as a whipping post appear and when they do get to say something, its usually in response to a loaded question. Not to mention how they outright blame liberals/democrats for things.

People don't like Fox because they are in your face, tell you like is, pull no punches reporting. So since the rest of the world finds that kind of "behavior" over the top, and even offensive at times, you get reaction like yours eraser. It goes beyond news (to get on my soap box), people anymore don't like the crowd that isn't afraid to hold nothing back. It’s not PC. "Oh my god, did you hear what he said?" "Dave, I can't believe you said that." "Are you REALLY going to tell him that?" You bet your ass I am. People do not like to be uncomfortable, they would rather just sit idly by, pretend that what happens in the world matters to them as long as it doesn’t affect them. Its people with an opinion anymore that are the outcasts. While the rest are just droids waiting on their next paycheck. (off my soap box).

I love you man, really I do! :good:

You put a lib in a situation where they have to justify what they say and all of a sudden they are being treated unfairly! Just goes to show that for libs, the fairness doctrine really means liberal monopoly on the news where they never have to defend themselves from criticism.

:rolleyes:

Criticism is one thing, which you see of both sides on most channels. But giving the right the benefit of the doubt and proceeding to pile on the liberal like Australian rules football and reporting partisan opinion as fact?

Criticism is one thing, which you see of both sides on most channels. But giving the right the benefit of the doubt and proceeding to pile on the liberal like Australian rules football and reporting partisan opinion as fact?

lol

Pot kettle black.

"MSNBC for their liberal pundits like Olberman and Mathews, also have their conservative pundits, like Pat Buchannan, tucker Carlson or Joe Scarborough(who was a republican congressman), so they're by far more balanced as a whole(even though a particular show may not be) than Fox, who has no liberal pundits."

all i can say is reallity must really suck for you,oh and lol

I go to most of them. I get my news Rashomon-style, get all the different takes and build your own picture from that.

I'm with the Jedi. Although the MLH on PBS is comprehensive if you have the time.

Eraser.......brother.....................Lefty = commie............commie = lefty. From the shadow of Attila the Hun two steps to his right, I am willing to admit that I am a bit over the edge, but I'll have to admit it feels good over here. LOL

I don't get "opinion" shows. Who CARES? I don't care what the anchors or whatever you call them FEEL about a situation, I just want to know what HAPPENED. I can form my own opinions, I don't need to hear someone else trying to give them to me. The "shouting down" the other guys and the "turn off the mike" crap is so childish. These are adults? They don't want to hear opposing viewpoints or have a discussion, they want someone on their show who has an opposing viewpoint so they can keep them from talking and belittle them to make THEM look big.

When there's a CENTER channel, I'll watch that.

The idea that so many of them seem to be on the left that we needed one way out on the right to balance it, like news channels are on a damn seesaw, is retarded.

BTW--Fox News lost all credibility with that "terrorist fist jab" comment. I mean really, WTF was that? That's not "telling it like it is", that's "telling it the way you want it to be."

GET RID OF THE OPINIONS, THEY ARE NOT WANTED. NEWS IS ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON, NOT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

24 hour cable news networks = 5 minutes worth of news 23 hours 55 minutes of flashing graphics and gas bags. So I don’t even waste my time with them.

I tend to jump around the major wires from AP, Reuters, McClatchy, Knight Ridder and so on. Also the established sources of "journalism" from NYtimes to Haaretz and so on. Most of the time the real news in article is buried in few sentences of the article away from its headline. I tend to stay away from blogs because It doesn’t do me any good to filter my news into ideologically friendly perspectives and become detached from reality. I also feel that I don’t need somebody else to redigest the news for me. The internet however has opened the way up for alternative news sources. I also don’t believe in liberal or a conservative press I believe that the press wants to make money. They want to promote the views of their major supporters and advertisers. Some of the major news networks are starting to trend more positive towards the Democrats but that’s because the approval ratings for Republicans and the President are rock bottom. Those same networks were all pro-administration when the Bush's approval ratings were sky rocketing after Sep. 11th. I also believe its important for the press to be critical of everything because an informed public is healthier for our republic than an ignorant and happy politic body. If I wanted to have propaganda forced down my throat I would move to North Korea. I think that the press is to friendly with whoever is in power. I mean just look at the NYtimes scandal with Judith Miller and Gordon and Fox News's Tony Snows transfer to the White House then back.