Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

What to do about corrupted file?

Hey all,

I was trying to copy a Third Wire game folder to back it up, and I got the message that one of the files couldn't be copied because it was corrupted. Did some investigating and found that a lod file was corrupt, and when I try to move or delete it, I'm told that it has an invalid directory or filename. I was able to rename it, and reinstall the file, so everything should work fine. However, when researching how to delete the corrupt file, I found that the only solution may be to reformat the entire drive! This is something I really don't want to do right now. Chkdsk and Safe Mode were not able to help me delete the file. So, now I have some questions:

1. Are there any other options for getting rid of the file other than reformatting the drive?

2. Do I need to be concerned about the corrupt file? It's totally renamed, so the game should run OK, right? Is there any reason for me to need to delete the file? Or can I just let it be?

Thanks!

Well I'm not sure you need to worry about it, but if you want to remove it you can always boot to a command prompt. Then change to the directory of the file and remove it. More than likely it's a 0 Byte file. Do some googling on some step by step instructions. That way I'm not liable if you remove something you shouldn't. LOL

E

I encountered a similar problem when I could not delete a file - it was "in use". I located a file on the net known as fileutil.exe, which is a remove on boot utility. You select the file, close the application, restart, and it's gone. Also allows a rename option instead of delete. Worked for me.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

Mike D.