Sign in to follow this  
Dave

George Carlin Dead At 71

I was out in the back yard when I heard on the radio, total bummer,,

guy joked and insulted his way to the top.He made me laugh more times than I can count.He was 71.

Yeah I hear it this morning, that was one funny, no BS, straight to the point man...

"Right before they give a lethal injection, they use a F!@#$@ alcohol swab!?"

"Life can be boiled down to this...

You get up go to work

Come home

Eat

Take a good Sh#!

Then go to bed

Repeat...."

Sad, he will be missed. I remember as a teenager loving the "seven word" routine. I was impressed that he had a flair for adult comedy, but would do voiceovers for kiddy shows and movies.

Rest In Peace

He was in Bill and Ted - thought I knew who he was!

I was just listening to him on XM yesterday in an interview with Sonny Fox. Then this. Just so sad.

When I was on the The View, I met and sat next to him in the "green room", had about a 20 minute conversation with him... What a genuine and unassuming guys he was.

Gave us all a signed copy of his last book.

... Will be missed. There are so few intelligent comedians out there...

I was stunned when I heard this. Such a shame...

I heard this first thing in the morning (bad enough it was at 0300). At least I got to see him back in '99.

Never liked the guy or his brand of so-called humor. Not going to miss him.

As if it wasn't a s**tty day to begin with :sad:

Just like Tim Russert, so sudden, you'd never expect it from the way they were on camera. Didn't he just do voice acting for the latest 3d animation movie?

So many great routines....

Yeah, I heard about this this morning, really blows.

Well another one of the greats is gone, "Lets all get small" :rofl: While his brand of comedy was not for everyone, I thought he was good. In any case he did have a long career. RIP my man.

That's a shame. Hadn't heard until just now. He will be missed.

He wasn't looking too good in some of the things I'd seen on TV in the last few years, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

He took some things a bit far for my liking, but all in all, I was laughing my @$$ off more than I was shaking my head. I picked up one of his books once - it was a riot.

He was quite the unique guy.

I can't say it was expected or unexpected...

But I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed almost everything I have ever seen him in... stand up routines, movies, and more recently hearing him tell Thomas the Train stories that my son enjoys so much.

I don't really know what kind of guy he was off stage/camera... but I love his stage presence/wit/sarcasm.

The only thing to knock him for might be excessive use of profanity... and having grown up hearing Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy, etc., I don't see where he could be cited as being any worse... but I enjoyed all of them, too.

Of course, some of the greatest comedians of all time managed to get plenty of laughs without being "dirty", "raunchy", or foul-mouthed... there are simply different types of humor and some are a little more universal than others. I am a big fan of British humor such as Benny Hill and Monty Python. My parents on the otherhand loved Benny Hill but didn't get much of Monty Python.

I don't know which category George Carlin really falls into since I am strongly biased.

But I guess he is more of a dark, sarcastic, adult humor rather than a lighter more universal one.

One of his standup bits that I love the most is one about the invention of flamethrowers:

“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”

For the full version:

To me most of humor was more intelligent than foul-mouthed... and I can laugh at any humor regardless of its political or religious slant, so I don't take any of the viewpoints he presents in his routines or movies seriously or get offended by them in any way.

The only stand-up comic I can think of off-hand that I might like more is Steven Wright... now there is dry, sarcastic humor delivered with a dead pan delivery.

Carlin and Pryor had the unique ability of "cleaning" their routines and performing them on Carson with out losing the punch or humor. The Seven Words are what made him infamous, his talent for observing the world at large is what made him great.

Two things of the many he said....

On his heart and Richard Pryor:

First Richard had a heart attack then I had one. Next thing Richard sets himself on fire, I said F*** It and had another heart attack.

And a short poem from Class Clown:

Here's my beard

Aint it weird?

Don't be scared

It's just my beard

BTW, "Let's get small" is Steve Martin , not George Carlin.

George Carlin.

You will always be in a place for my stuff.

Will they put the 7 words you can't say on radio on your tombstone?

:ph34r: V/R, CL

I'm most impressed by his longevity... Mind you, he started his comedic act in the 60s. Most modern comedians loose their ability to write funny material within a few short years. Most just disappear into obscurity... few get out while their names are still good and make the leap into TV or movies (Read: Jerry Seinfeld)

Like most, I didn't always agree with his opinions... but I almost always found them funny non-the-less.

His observation of the obvious was what made me laugh the most... Far to many to remember, let alone relive here.

:biggrin:

"Fussy eater." We used to say that in my house. "He's a fussy eater."

"Fussy eater" was a euphemism for "big pain in the ass."

"I don't like that." They tried to corner me with logic! "How do you know you don't like if you've never tried it?"

"It came to me in a dream!"

Glad I got to see him in '96 an '04. I've been a fan of his stuff for so long it's kind of like losing an old friend. No one will ever be able to find humor in the English language like he could.