Sign in to follow this  
Velo

How to use AGM-45/78? in WOI

i play WOI for few days, so, has some questions.

when i search enemy radar targets with AGM-45 or AGM-78 (on F-4E), i dont kown how to capture radar signal for Locking on.

i have read the whole manual, but i just can`t find any section showing me how to use this weapon system in game. F-4E`s radar only have Ground Map Mode to scan surface targets, but it can`t lock on like Search Mode. Even i go straight to ground target ahead, put the gunsight reticle on the enemy radar exactly and go very close, it still can not lock on. :dntknw:

so, how to use the AGM-45/78 in WOI?

wait until one of the enemy guns or sams lights you up with radar, as soon as they do, fire a missile at them. it will track into their radar beam, not yours.

It's a point and shoot system. Point the ARM of your choice towards the offending radar, and let loose. This same question came up at Third Wire. Here's some additional info from TK:

The Range of AGM-45 Shrike should be around 18 km for A version, and 46 km for B version. AGM-78 Standard ARM has much longer range, at 65 km for A version, and 90 km for B version. You generally want to use the Shrike in self-defense against enemy radar that already has lock-on on you, and use StARM for stand-off targets, against known radars far far away.

The principle is the same for all of the TW sims.

Now, with a real ARM, would that trick from flight of the intruder work? IE an aircraft had a radar lock on you and you let one off in their direction (even though most mig-17s like the one they showed don't have radar?

Now, with a real ARM, would that trick from flight of the intruder work? IE an aircraft had a radar lock on you and you let one off in their direction (even though most mig-17s like the one they showed don't have radar?

The scene in question from Flight of the Intruder showed them using a Shrike to kill the ground control intercept (aka GCI) radar site that was guiding the MiG on to Cool Hand's tail. This was because the NVAF trained to Soviet tactics and the Soviets had thier figther pilots trained to only fly under GCI control to interception. It was so bad according to things that I have read thatthe NVAF and Soviets couldn't even fire thier missiles until the GCI operator told them so. Yes if you think you were close enough to a GCI radar you could cut loose with an ARM to kill the eyes which might be guiding the MiGs on to your tail. It has been a few months since I have played WOV/WOE/SFP and I can't remember off hand if there are GCI radar sites coded in to the game for the Red forces.