Sign in to follow this  
eraser_tr

Any automotive experts here?

I've seen a bunch of these devices being advertised around that uses electrolysis on water and uses the seperated oxygen and hydrogen to improve the efficiency of a plain old gas engine to increase gas mileage.

Are there any mechanics or auto experts familiar with these things that can weigh in as to whether its a load of BS to sell something or if it actually works?

They're BS.

Agreed. As are the magnets that you place on your fuel lines, the little metal fans that you put in your air intake, etc.

I believe that Mythbusters tested one of the electrolysis devices and it busted big time.

One thing that might improve your milage is to get a custom computer chip with a more fuel efficient program. It may rob some power, but that is the trade off. Depends on what kind of car you have as to whether they are readily available, and I'd still do plenty of homework before buying.

the biggest part of reducing gas use and increasing milage is the weight of the car. Buy a small a car with a very small engine and then drive very (don't choke now!) conservatively.

:biggrin:

that way, when I want to drive over you in my big SUV, you will be a smaller bump in the road....

:rofl:

Hi All, HHO(Browns Gas) is public domain an has been for 90plus years so far. 1litre of distilled water a tspn of baking soda an 1-3v charge and you make HHO (storing it for later is another story). What the experimenters have found is that after installing a unit, for the first 2-3 refills (of petrol/deisel) they got the fuel savings they were after. Then lost the lot..why....Apparently the fuel management systems that have been a legal requirement in all new vehicles since the mid-ninetys have been predesigned to revert to default settings (14.5/1 ratio) if it thinks you might be cheating.....so the oxygen sensor was the problem. A small card can be made by anyone who can read a diagram&use a soldering iron) to tell the FMS it has plenty of oxygen meanwhile allowing the hho unit to do its thing. The Hydrogen on Demand systems if set up right just provide a fine particle enviro for your fuel to explode in...all fuel savings are relative to the condition of your motor and the quality of your fuel.