jomni

Bad Graphics

Here are my specs:

Intel Core Duo

2GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400

Latest DirectX Drivers

Falcon 4.0 AF Patched to 1.13

Why are the textures dithered and the models have low polygon count?

I can only crank up the detail settings to 5 or 7 only.

These are a far cry from the Falcon 4 screenshots I see around.

What's wrong? :blink: how to max out the graphics?

Edited by jomni

If you are talking about AF screenshots - To improve the ground Most people use Hitiles which is a payware add on - basically a high resolution with 4 different seasons for Korea and the Balkans - well worth it

The graphics on the planes/weapons themselves can be improved by changing the skins - for F-16 skins try Redbirds (from the gamers tools) or from Janhas- you need to get the skin pack installer - also at gamers tools.

Not many of the other jets have been done - if you look in the downloads section here there are some for some of the jets that have missing skins.

There is a free 3d pit from zerk to replace the stock one

If you already have these - then you may need to change the Anti Aliasing /Anis Filtering etc settings on your graphics card in the advanced settings.

The best resolution for AF is probably around 1600x1200 - but most people probably dont have a monitor to support that.

Thanks for the comment Mig Buster.

My problem is the polygon count. You can clearly see no round edges as compared to the screenshots. Changing skins is not the solution there. How to improve this? Is the seting for textures and models up to 5 and 7 max only? I'll paste a screenshot when I get a chance.

Edited by jomni

Could it be that all screenshots that I see around are taken using 1600 x 1200 resolution?

I can only do 1440 x 900. It's a bummer how they concentrated on making the larger resolutions prettier as opposed to the lower ones. Other games are pretty in 1440 x 900.

Here are some shots from Allied Force in 1280x1024 on a GeForce7600 - You must remember that AFAIK the game uses a slightly enhanced version of the original Falcon 4 graphics engine from 1998

2008-05-06_22_30_32.jpg

FA-18F_43.jpg

If you have seen better graphics than these then you have been looking at shots from Red Viper I imagine

My concern is that my graphics is not at par with that screenshot despite having a decent rig.

I'll show you some when I get home. Makes me wonder how to get that result.

Edited by jomni

Go into your graphics card software (Nvidia control panel) and force or alteast turn on AA (Anti aliasing) on to x4 or above. Do the same for AS (Antistropic filtering) atleast x4. Then you will have sexy smooth curves.

Preach

Found some pics from a while back with and without AA and AS

With AA+AS

afag3.th.jpg

Without AA+AS

noafql8.th.jpg

Ignore my paint scheme, I was feeling creative when I joined a squadron...

I've also got the hi-res ordinance installed.

Preach

Ok cranked up AA and AS and it indeed looked better. But I guess you need vertical pixels of more than 900 to get the best out of it.

Looks like most reviews use 1280x1024. My widescreen can only go up to 1440x900. I'm totally content now. :clapping: