Sign in to follow this  
"Slick"

Gee Whiz...

My "member#" is in the 5,000's (Out of 30 or 40 thousand) and I'm still a classified as a "New Member"? Hey ref! What gives?

"I remember the good ol days flying F-15 Strike Eagle (By Microprose NOT Janes) and Mig Alley Ace (Another Microprose Title "and" one of the first flight sims where you could fly H2H or Co-op) on my C-64... Yeah nowadays you young whipper-snappers have it easy... try visually I.d.'ing a target consisting of unshaded polygons! "Sticks" were new technology, throttles were the "+" and "-" keys, and rudder control was wishful thinking... :dntknw:

f15.gif

(Above: A F-15C from the 58TFS closing on and acquiring a BVR lock on a Mig 23 (couldn't you tell?)

God bless Maj. John W. ("Wild Bill") Stealey!

"Slick"

Edited by "Slick"

don't worry, slick. It seems like only yesterday that I was the resident new guy, searching the forum for a place to post and raise my status. before you know it, you'll be a valued member. Although it is strange that you've been around for three+ years and you're still "new".

Think 24 posts classifies you as being a newbie still :beta1:

Good old days! - I dont think so - the dark ages more like - its alright being nostagic but I really dont want to go back to things like that ever!!

Those classes are based 100% on post count, nothing more. So you can have a "new member" that's been here since Day 1 if they only post 2x a year. :grin:

Anyway, I played F-15SE on the C64 as well. Take my F-15E off from my blue-triangle carrier (a carrier? for an F-15?!?), fly from blue water to brown land, attack brown triangle enemy base, fight wireframe triangle MiG, fly back to blue-triangle carrier.

Those classes are based 100% on post count, nothing more. So you can have a "new member" that's been here since Day 1 if they only post 2x a year. :grin:

Anyway, I played F-15SE on the C64 as well. Take my F-15E off from my blue-triangle carrier (a carrier? for an F-15?!?), fly from blue water to brown land, attack brown triangle enemy base, fight wireframe triangle MiG, fly back to blue-triangle carrier.

How many rivets did the blue triangle carrier have on it though - that what I want to know :biggrin:

Yeah I remember when Mig Alley Ace came out, begging family and friends to fly co-op missions with me... somehow most just didn't seem to grasp the thrill of ACM team work (or just didn't care...).

I had been flying Jane's U.S. Navy fighters for a year or so when FA and JOGC came out... Now those truly were the good old days. Squads hanging out and chatting in the Jane's lobby.... flying 2v2 and 4v4 engagements with other squads, not to mention going IP and flying missions with your squad mates til all hours of the morning. At the hieght of my o/l days we had 20 dedicated and highly trained pilots in 4-squadrons that comprised the 366th(V) Fighter Wing.

Regards,

Slick

Ahhh looks like someone made his 30th post and graduated to a "Junior Member". Looks good on you too.

Erik

Gee thanks Erik... Only 2,105 to go to catch up... LOL!

Slick

BTW; Thanks for the great site Erik!

-S-

Slick

Aiit it scary though, how we look back to that old stuff and think how we could have ever thought that it was on the edge of the envelope of what was publically available for simulation of military jets! I thought those bricks and blobs would one day teach me what I needed to know to jump into a rl fighter bomber but am sooo lucky to have been a kid that grew up to see Ace Combat one before I grew a goatee, much respect to all you guys who stuck with it in the era of blips and blocks cos without you we would most likely not be around here discussing flight simulation in any way as we are today :clapping::ok:

Flight sims brought what as a kid (I'm now 45) what I could only day-dream and fantasize about doing to a more "personal" and achievable level. Though I did obtain a private-pilot license (SEL/IFR), and still fly on occasion, I can honestly say that I enjoy the challenge of shooting an ILS approach into Aspen Colorado, flying a Cessna 421 in FS2004, more than I enjoy cruising around So Cal in a real Bonanza.

Due to the complexity (and realism) of modern day sims, I’ve been given the opportunity to get a "small taste" of what heroes like Rickenbacker, Boyington, Preddy, Olds, and the thousands of others that strapped into a cockpit of a fighter aircraft must have experienced.

The best thing about the evolution of flight simulation is that the real world pilots of today (and tomorrow), can train in a "virtual" world to better prepare for challenges that they may someday encounter in the real world.

(On a more personal note; the friendship and camaraderie that I experienced over 8 years ago flying Fighters Anthology with a bunch of guys (that I never met in person) wasn't virtual, it was "real").

Slick

Ah, good old 'Strike Eagle.' Used to play it on the C-128 (in C-64 mode). Those triangles didn't stand a chance.

I'm glad the complexity and the eye candy has improved over the years. But at the time, it was a blast!