Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

US withdraws Nuclear arsenal from the UK

Wasnt sure there were that many over here - now I know!

WASHINGTON: The United States has removed its nuclear arsenal in Britain, ending its half-century deployment there and reducing its European nuclear deployment to six locations in five countries, a report said.

The withdrawal follows the removal of nuclear weapons from the Ramstein Air Base in Germany in 2005 and Greece in 2001, according to the The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) Strategic Security Blog, citing unidentified sources.

The United States now has an estimated 150 to 240 B61 nuclear bombs scattered in Europe -- at the US Air Force bases at Aviano AB in Italy and Incirlik in Turkey, and at four European bases, in Belgium, Germany, Holland and Italy, the blog said.

In November 2000, then president Bill Clinton authorized the Pentagon to deploy 110 nuclear bombs at the Royal Air Force Lakenheath air base, 113 miles (70 miles) northeast of London, the report said.

There were 480 atomic bombs in Europe at the time, it said.

President George W. Bush updated the authorization in May 2004 with an apparent order to remove the nuclear weapons from Ramstein, the blog said. The directive might have also authorized the pullout from Lakenheath, it said.

Asked by reporters Thursday if the reported withdrawal was true, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said: "I haven't gotten that question since I've been secretary of defense, but I think I'm not supposed to talk about that."

From Article

"according to the The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) Strategic Security Blog, citing unidentified sources."

right...............

and this comes just as I'm watching Dr. Strangelove. :)

Like it really matters where they're stored...you can get them anywhere on the planet in hours anyway.

Like it really matters where they're stored...you can get them anywhere on the planet in hours anyway.

we can deliver anywhere in 35 minutes - or the second one is free.....

:biggrin:

wonder when we are going to pull the flying saucer parts out of there as well?

wonder when we are going to pull the flying saucer parts out of there as well?

As soon as I can get them back together in my garage.....I need another person and a couple cases of beer to get it done.

Fine, but I am not sanding the paint off this time...gives me the sneezes

Fine, but I am not sanding the paint off this time...gives me the sneezes

I got a sand blaster with a vacuum this time. You going to prime it?

Of course...but I want flames instead of racing stripes...you always want that deuce-strip down the top and you know how that clashes with my shades...let's go with Blue and Silver flames this time...maybe sell some ad-space to either Pepsi or USAF, what think ye?

Of course...but I want flames instead of racing stripes...you always want that deuce-strip down the top and you know how that clashes with my shades...let's go with Blue and Silver flames this time...maybe sell some ad-space to either Pepsi or USAF, what think ye?

Flames are fine.....but no advertising space....I am no corporate puppet.

Flames are fine.....but no advertising space....I am no corporate puppet.

right.... "dance puppet, dance"

The acceptable term is "marionette."

"The United States now has an estimated 150 to 240 B61 nuclear bombs scattered in Europe -- at the US Air Force bases at Aviano AB in Italy and Incirlik in Turkey, and at four European bases, in Belgium, Germany, Holland and Italy, the blog said."

funny, when i was discharged, i had to sign a piece of paper that was punishable by imprisonment, not to disclose the ware abouts of any of our nuclear B-61s or other bombs.

Yes, but civilian officials are allowed to reveal these things "off the record". Or at least, they do it ALL the time.