Sign in to follow this  
gbnavy61

Picking up a slow roll...

Anyone else experienced a problem in flight like this?

Playing a single mission recce flight on the Range map in the new MF A-7C (Awesome jet, btw - though there's no radar, unless I don't have the right AvionicsXX.dll in WOV?). Got overhead the range and started blasting stuff, had two BLU-1's and two of the twin 2.75" rocket pods loaded. Proceeded to nape, rocket and strafe targets until I felt like an RTB was in order. On the way back I notice that when I let go of the joystick, I get a slow roll to the left, unless I engage the wing leveller. This gets to be a real pain as I get slow for landing, having to hold right stick in to counter the roll. I end up on the left side of the runway often right next to the edge lights.

I have the Saitek X52 stick/throttle combo. I have set the deadband in the Saitek control panel to that I don't have any errant aileron inputs from the stick when it is in the neutral position. I also DON'T have the rudder controls mapped to the twist (can't stand the twist function) so I'm not getting stray rudder inputs that would account for the roll either.

I've also experienced this with other jets, like the MF F/A-18A. However, on takeoff and the initial climbout, everything is normal. I pick up the roll after dropping ordnance.

Anyone know what's going on?

Edited by gbnavy61

That sounds like a symptom of an asymmetric load. Did you have any unexpended ordinance on the left wing? Even a slight imbalance will cause this. The lack of trim makes it a pain in the ass to fly like that, I agree.

Regarding the radar, the new A-7s are designed for use with the WOI+ avionics70.dll. Basically, your radar problem will be fixed when WOV gets updated.

Wind? I've experienced things like this with FM on hard.

EDIT: Forget it, C5 is probably right

Edited by Longestpants

I do have FM on hard, but as I changed direction, the wind should have also been coming from a different direction - whereas the jet always wanted to roll left.

I thought about the asymmetry and I have noticed the effect in game, but I highly doubt that is it since in each instance I've had a symmetrical load.

Does the in-game joystick deadband and sensitivity override other settings? Maybe that is a culprit.

Edited by gbnavy61

Did you get hit? I've sometimes landed and been surprised to find out that Ace Pilot was wounded and hospitalised.

Nah. Nothing shoots at you at the Range and I don't think I ever got low enough to take damage from my own stuff going off.

Edited by gbnavy61

Had it for a very long time with my F16 MLU. Let it go with wing leveler and while landing it gives you something to do. I'm curious though about what might be the cause....

Aju,

Derk :unsure:

At least it's not just me then.

I've experienced a slow-roll issue with some third-party A/C right from the mission outset, i.e. on takeoff, with a symmetrical load. Stock A/C have never given me any problem. Damned if I know why.

Edited by Tristan

Someone posted about the same issue a couple days ago. The answer was that this is a known issue with the TW series. Once you drop all ordinance, the aircraft tend to want to roll to one side.

The way you can get around this is to allow aircraft "trimming". Go to your controls folder and open the .ini file for your control profile. there is a value somewhere that corresponds to the rate at which control surfaces return to neutral when using the arrow keys. If you set this to 0, using the arrow keys acts as a trim now. There is also a value that defines the sensitivity of the arrow keys, and you'll want to lower this (to like, .25, I think...) to allow changes in smaller increments.

Sorry I can't be more specific right now, but I don't have my game folder on this laptop, and I can't remember all the details. But if you go into the .ini file, you should be able to figure it out.

Someone posted about the same issue a couple days ago. The answer was that this is a known issue with the TW series. Once you drop all ordinance, the aircraft tend to want to roll to one side.

The way you can get around this is to allow aircraft "trimming". Go to your controls folder and open the .ini file for your control profile. there is a value somewhere that corresponds to the rate at which control surfaces return to neutral when using the arrow keys. If you set this to 0, using the arrow keys acts as a trim now. There is also a value that defines the sensitivity of the arrow keys, and you'll want to lower this (to like, .25, I think...) to allow changes in smaller increments.

Sorry I can't be more specific right now, but I don't have my game folder on this laptop, and I can't remember all the details. But if you go into the .ini file, you should be able to figure it out.

Interesting.

The ability to trim the a\c is really quite fundamental and if this pseudo-trimming works that'll be great. I'll give it a go.

I've experienced the roll a few times but it doesn't seem consistent. Sometimes does it, sometimes not even with the same a\c & loads. I was blaming my joystick and even putting it away carefully after use lest I disturbed it any. Doh !

Or if you are lazy like me - just jettison the bomb racks (ctrl+J)- it should trim out ok then

Ive had the issue with stock AC too -

have just put up with it - like having no braking parachute when pressing ctrl+B :tumbleweed:

Or if you are lazy like me - just jettison the bomb racks (ctrl+J)- it should trim out ok then

I'll often carry a jamming pod which you can't jettison so I still endure the roll.

I'll often carry a jamming pod which you can't jettison so I still endure the roll.

Good point - I always stick 1 on each wing in the default loadout (apart from on the A-10)- probably because the lack of trim control annoys me! :cool:

Oh, I suppose you could alter the loadout .ini to accomodate a sidewinder, say like the A-10.

Just don't fire it !

Thanks. That works well enough. Much appreciated.

Oh, I suppose you could alter the loadout .ini to accomodate a sidewinder, say like the A-10.

Just don't fire it !

hmm - what would I do without you babe :biggrin: