Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Attention stephen honey

Hi stephen. You didn't go into much detail about your problems with pilot skins so if you've already figured this out...well nevermind. :biggrin: Anyway, I decided I'd experiment with it. Looks to me like although you can alter the 4 stock pilot.bmp's you cannot copy and rename them to make "new" pilots. I tried it every way I could think of and no go. The game simply reverts back to the basic 4. However you can add 3rd party pilots such as the WWIGERPILOT (Sorry, I don't recall who did this one....somebody help me out here. :blush: ) with no apparent limit. Here's somes screenies of "Manfred" and "Lothar" with a couple of squadmates.

ml1.jpg

ml2.jpg

ml3.jpg

Manfred is the WWIGERPILOT model and Lothar is actually a British pilot model WWIPILOT from another addon...just to illustrate the different models you can use. Hope this helps you in your work. :good:

TS

Hi stephen. You didn't go into much detail about your problems with pilot skins so if you've already figured this out...well nevermind. :biggrin: Anyway, I decided I'd experiment with it. Looks to me like although you can alter the 4 stock pilot.bmp's you cannot copy and rename them to make "new" pilots. I tried it every way I could think of and no go. The game simply reverts back to the basic 4. However you can add 3rd party pilots such as the WWIGERPILOT (Sorry, I don't recall who did this one....somebody help me out here. :blush: ) with no apparent limit. Here's somes screenies of "Manfred" and "Lothar" with a couple of squadmates.

ml1.jpg

ml2.jpg

ml3.jpg

Manfred is the WWIGERPILOT model and Lothar is actually a British pilot model WWIPILOT from another addon...just to illustrate the different models you can use. Hope this helps you in your work. :good:

TS

Yes, it seems you've encountered the same problem, but I didn't realise about adding the 3rd party pilots maybe there's a possibility there, thanks for that. The idea initially came about when I was working on some Alb DIII skins for an April 1917 Jasta 11 group. There was a request for the 'red' squadron sometime around last Christmas, (sorry can't remember who posted). It was then that I thought it would be good to take advantage of the more detailed pilot bitmaps that came out with the FE updates and have the individual aces to accompany their aircraft. Unfortunately other work has slowed the project down. Researching paint colours and schemes for accuracy also takes a lot of time. I have one that is 99% done, Kurt Wolff ( with red sock hat) and his green tailed Albatros. I'll put up a preview pic in the next few days.

Sorry i havent been around much (RL) :blush:

actually its fairly easy to make newly skinned pilot models

make a copy of the old pilot lod and rename it (eg. WWIPILOTNEW.LOD to MYWWIPILOTNEW.LOD)

and then hexedit the new MYWWIPILOTNEW.LOD and search for the string xxxpilotskinname.bmp and then rename that xxxpilotskinname.bmp to yourxxxpilotskinname.bmp (the yourxxxpilotskinname.bmp is your reskin of the original pilot)

save the lod

you need to do it for each new pilot/skin

here are some quick repaints i did a while ago (only the face)

I wont post the altered Lods (sure you guys can manage that) :wink:

newpilotskins.rar

and heres a slightly smaller pilot i made a while ago for those tight cockpits (lod and skin) unfortunatly he predates the addon and could probably be higer poly now i've seen TK's great new figures

smallpilot.rar

ThanksP10ppy, these are nice variations.

sinbad

Ahhh...the old hex editor. Thanks P10ppy. :biggrin:

Very neat. Thanks for posting.

wwiPilotNewF4 is now my default French pilot. Great improvement. Luv that mo!

Cheers

Edited by peter01