Sign in to follow this  
Dave

A Good Sim You Aren't Playing

Anyone playing BOBII? I just bought it and I am having a blast with it. A new patch is coming out going to add a ton of stuff. The AI is great. I can't believe I haven't flown this before.

hurri.jpg

spit.jpg

So far I have got gotten 3 in my campaign, 2 110's and a Stuka. Great for $19.99.

i got it as a birthday gift, but i didn't play it much...

btw , its Marcelo stuff on it :D

The AI and the Shockwave cockpits are outstanding - with 6DOF you can open the canopy and stick your head out while landing! Anyone who's into flight sims would love this one. First class support and regular patch updates too - all this from a very small but dedicated group.

Edited by deep

I've actually really been wanting to try this out, but I doubt my computer will be able to run it efficiently for the price I'd be paying...

I didnt even know about. Ill have to check it out. Thanks Dave.

I've been looking high and low for that game. Where'd you find it, and what do you need to run it?

i have been playing it for a while a year ago. amazing what the shockwave people did with that old rowan bob engine.

it's not too taxing on the hardware, any new pc in the last 2 years should probably run it with graphics maxed out.

the one thing i didn't like is that the game forces the strategy part on you. i would prefer that as an option and only fly.

water shader is very nice too.

I owned Rown's BoB at one time. It was ok, but the planes were fairly blocky, escpecially the bombers. Maybe this is different in the II version.

Its main appeal was the monster furballs over the channel. Almost certain death if you couldn't keep focus.

So I wonder just what was improved. Because from the screen shots it almost seems the same to me. :yes:

A new patch is coming out going to add a ton of stuff.

Some more info about upcoming patch? Which version or few more details? Please :yes:

But classik campaign is missing in this game - mean "one man in one unit". There is patch 2.07 with beta campaign version I think over internet.

I tried it few months ago. Great game :good:

EDIT: ok, not needed. Found it: http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/bob2news.htm

Edited by kukulino

Yup BOB and BOB2 are wonderfully immersive sims. I remember rushing to the store to buy the first (back when you could still buy sims in retail stores). Been playing it and the sequel ever since.

The new AI is un-freakin-believable. And the campaigns have to be seen to be believed. The huge number of aircraft in a raid is staggering. You really get that "holy crap am I gonna get through this alive?" feeling. Nothing quite like flying into hundreds of bombers plinking at everything with a black cross on it, hoping to get out in one piece. And quite often, you won't.

You can't really compare BOB2 and Il-2. BOB has the better FM and AI, but Il-2 has the entire war to fight in. BOB is obviously limited to, well, the BoB!

:biggrin: Graphics wise, it's a toss-up. BOB's clouds are much better IMHO, but I like the landscape in Il-2 better. That's just a personal opinion as the landscape in BOB is very detailed.

I like both, really...for different reasons.

I owned Rown's BoB at one time. It was ok, but the planes were fairly blocky, escpecially the bombers. Maybe this is different in the II version.

Its main appeal was the monster furballs over the channel. Almost certain death if you couldn't keep focus.

So I wonder just what was improved. Because from the screen shots it almost seems the same to me. :yes:

The eye candy is only limited by your machine. BOBII has a lot of graphics options.

Dave, you know I have to ask...how does it compare with iL-2 ?

BOB2 doesn't have uber AI planes like IL-2. The furballs are incredible, just huge, planes everywhere. The multiskin pack for those that have a 256 MB vid card really make it stand out. A good 19.99 spent.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?...164#Post2542164

Check out this thread over at SimHQ about the new patch. That is what convinced me to buy it.

Man O man I was ready to charge out the door and get this sim. I

found out at the last minute that it has no multiplayer. Just a solo

sim. That's a shame :sad: It is a beautiful looking sim nonetheless.

I bought it few months ago, I think it's underrated solid simulation, good revamp of an old gem (Rowan's BoB). However, there are few issues that bothers me:

Strategy -Like kesegy pointed out, I'd prefer "simple" pilot's point of view, squadrons and resource managing through all the windows is still hard and confusing thing (have been flying Mig Alley since 2000)

Graphics are very good minding the core engine years, apart those multiple layered top clouds, which tends to disappear on my ATI (newer GeForce works ok)

It's really, really hard one on full realism, first few missions I wasn't even able to pursuit and intercept bombers :bad:

Some objects (ships) are straigh from original BOB, may change with patch

In fact it's stable from 2.05 up (currently playing 2.06).

And things that shine and makes it worth buying:

AI!

Pits -have that good old EAW feel, good detail and performance

Dogfights -it's best at portraying WW2 furballs, had Pacific Fighters for a short period of time, that battles compared to BoB 2 are tiny

Radio and ground control -declaring emergencies, leader calls ("That's it! Shoot him!"), many many excellent voices

Clouds and lighting are nice, aswell as that watershader

Developers seem to include best from user made content into it, as seems by the 2.08 preview

This topic makes me wanna launch it this evening :smile:

And I look forward to their new upcoming title focusing on Burma and P-40 + a new terrain engine

Post Scriptum:

Don't know if you are aware but there is an action sim called "Air Battles: Sky Defenders" which is in fact BoB 2 without campaign (only BoB 2 customizable instant action missions), switchable action-style HUD display and different terrain textures, plus few others tweaks, have it too.

I like simple pilots point view too :biggrin:

And another plus for BOBII for me: can fly No. 310. Czechoslovak Squadron (and No. 303. Polish Squadron too :biggrin: )

And their oponets of course too :yes:

Historical backgroun is important for many players, I think :yes:

Edited by kukulino

To those who don`t like the whole strategy aspect of BBII (like me), there is a way you can play as just a pilot and let the computer take care of the campaing. I remember reading about it last year. You`d have to go to the official forum though, there are a few steps to follow.

Man O man I was ready to charge out the door and get this sim. I

found out at the last minute that it has no multiplayer. Just a solo

sim. That's a shame :sad: It is a beautiful looking sim nonetheless.

Don't let that stop you. Even if it had MP you aren't going to get a sky filled with as many planes as this puts up in the single player. The sim is hard and if you are looking for a challenge then this is your sim.

IL2 = best online, BoB2 = best offline.

IL2 = best online, BoB2 = best offline.

That is a perfect summing up I would say.

To hell with my underpowered graphics card. After reading everyone's posts and looking up the game and reviews...

I'm getting it. As soon as humanly possible.

The film Battle of Britain is so awesome, and from what it sounds like, the game is just as epic, am I right? I like the descriptions of the dogfights you guys have posted so far...

Yes, dogfight are epic, even in quick mission mode :good: