Sign in to follow this  
geezer205

Wheel Spats And White Scarves

While taking a break from learning how to UV map and texture a First Eagles model, I started experimenting with an era of aviation that has always fascinated me - the 1930s. I wound up focusing on the air war in China (1937) as some really interesting aircraft were used by both sides, particularly the Chinese (who seemed to have a dozen of just about any military aircraft available for export). Shots below show progress on models of the Northrop Gamma 2E used by China, and the Nakajima A2N (the standard Japanese Navy fighter during the early stages of the conflict). Also, a sample of just some of the aircraft used by China - not shown are Boeing P-26 fighters, Martin B-10 bombers, and Curtiss A-12 attack aircraft.

Composite-1.jpg

CAFColorProfiles.jpg

I think I love you!Geezer you bring these into the game and I'll be happy as a man can be.I always loved the 30's era in general and the Spanish civil war and the war in china are really somthing I love.China fielded some of my all time favorites.

A Curtiss Condor!!! How cool is that!!! With gun turrets, no less.

We have the BF2C/Hawk III, I believe MontyCZ made it maaaannny moons ago; it could use a little FM upgrade. The I-16 is in Wolf257's WW2 Planes Pak.

The A2N would be a PERFECT addition!!! (remember, the FM is different in FE than in the SF/WoW/WoE sets)

Absoluteley!!! Please continue with these.

Wrench

kevin stein

I am realy looking forward to fly in China in 1930

3DS file for Aichi is somewhere on my disc

HawkAichi.jpg

and how about a sparrowhawk and Macon ? can you imagine that?

I think I love you!Geezer you bring these into the game and I'll be happy as a man can be.I always loved the 30's era in general and the Spanish civil war and the war in china are really something I love.China fielded some of my all time favorites.

Well, I'm still learning the ropes but I have every intention of completing a number of China war aircraft - I think they are fascinating. I am deliberately avoiding the later war years because I love the stuff used in the first six months of the conflict (late 1937) - lots of wheel spats and open cockpits.

Once I get the models working ingame I will need some help with FMs. etc. Also, I spend most of my limited free time making this stuff instead of flying and following the forums - is Wings Over Israel a better game system? I have the impression that WOI is essentially the same as First Eagles, but with more modern aircraft and systems. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

When finished, these models probably won't perform very well on older computers as I want to push the limits and see how detailed I can make both the models and textures. An example is that I am modeling the scalloping of fabric covering on the models' 3D surfaces, rather than painting the shading into the textures. Two more shots below...

A2N-7.jpg

Northrop2E-17.jpg

I am realy looking forward to fly in China in 1930

3DS file for Aichi is somewhere on my disc

HawkAichi.jpg

Let me know when/if you find them, and maybe we can trade stuff? I would love to make new textures for them - I used to be a professional illustrator, and have made textures for a number of mods. Shots below of some work I did for a Call Of Duty mod - most of the shading is painted into the textures, rather than created by the game engine..

Kubel-1.jpg

Kubel-2.jpg

Kubel-3.jpg

In my experience so far with WoI and prop planes, I'd have to say no, not at this moment. I can't speak to FE after the expansion pak, as I couldn't afford to buy it. But FE is still limited, unless this has been fixed, to it's original or made-only-for-FE terrains. With Edwards China and Burma terrains for SF/WoV/WoE, we have the theatre already to go (although they could use some target upgrading...).

I know that most of us (the 2 dozen or so) flying WW2 are using SF/WoV/WoE. As to the forthcoming Patch, I'm hoping it dosen't damage their FMs as WoI has done (trying flying the S-199/109G10 mod I did and you'll see what I mean). I'm also hoping that TK does to some 'repairs' in this respect.

Monty: I wondered what happened to that Aichi!! Would still love to see that finished, and in game! That screenie is from like, what? 4 years ago??? :wink: Along with Pasko's Grumman 'Barrel' Fighters (F3F).

The I-152/53 I think were recently released by the Dev A-Team (for the un-prejudiced that follow that).

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok, very quick and dirty NC Peashooter skin:

china_peashooter.jpg

need to figure out numbers; positions and such. It should be easy enough to do the OD green as well

I just LOVE having the templates!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok, very quick and dirty NC Peashooter skin:

need to figure out numbers; positions and such. It should be easy enough to do the OD green as well

I just LOVE having the templates!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Would it be possible to obtain the model? I would like to make multiple bmp templates, like First Eagles, to produce highly detailed skins. This would require new UV unwrap mapping which can only be done if I have the model. Also, the Chinese P-26s were not equipped with radios so there would be no antenna masts or wires for a Chinese version.

image009a.jpg

image007.jpg

Edited by geezer205

It's Bunyap's old model. He's not around much anymore. I have no idea on how to get ahold of him. Maybe Dave would know???

As it stands, it's mapped to 5 bmps; the OUT file is available, so maybe the antena and wiring could be 'moved' via data ini edits.... I myself have never done it on a full airplane (only a few cockpit moves) Figuring out which object is what would be the hard part

EDIT:

the wire, guides and posts ARE listed in the OUT as seperate meshes, so all I need do is try and figure out the MOVE sections..

But aren't some of them the 'flying wires' for wing support???

Now, I'll have to find the 'how to...' around here somewheres....

Wrench

kevin stein

It's Bunyap's old model. He's not around much anymore. I have no idea on how to get ahold of him. Maybe Dave would know???

As it stands, it's mapped to 5 bmps; the OUT file is available, so maybe the antena and wiring could be 'moved' via data ini edits.... I myself have never done it on a full airplane (only a few cockpit moves) Figuring out which object is what would be the hard part

EDIT:

the wire, guides and posts ARE listed in the OUT as seperate meshes, so all I need do is try and figure out the MOVE sections..

But aren't some of them the 'flying wires' for wing support???

Now, I'll have to find the 'how to...' around here somewheres....

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the info about the model. I had not DL-ed the model, so I just assumed that it did not have multiple maps - the old joke about assuming seems to apply here! :rolleyes: Where can I DL the model?

Those old, low-frequency radios required long antenna wires - often called "aerials". Below is a multi-view drawing that shows the radio masts and aerials highlighted in pale orange - these should be deleted. The wires that are NOT highlighted are the structural bracing wires.

P-26Aerials.jpg

Got some more work done on the A2N last night. Looks like the wingtips are a bit too thick?

A2N-8.jpg

Excellent mate!! Capun have an amazing Fiat Cr.32, with a skin another excellent plane!

You can get the Peashooter here, at Buny's site:

http://www.bunyap2w1.com/

I fiddled with some data ini edits, tyring to 'move' the mast and ariels, but came up with them still there.

Anyone want to esplain how I"m supposed to effect this change???? I thought I was just as simple as the cockpit moves, but not.

Wrench

kevin stein

Don't forget the Gloster Gladiator. I've flown it in other sims. It's a blast to drive. The P shooter was also flown by the Republic of the Phillipines. There is a skin or 2 out there for WOV / SF.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

And the F3F. With retractable gear and canopy this might be off topic. It's a 30s biplane tho.

Like many gruman products back then, the landing gear was raised up by a hand crank.

Some details @ http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f3fsb_1.htm

Edited by charlielima

I fiddled with some data ini edits, tyring to 'move' the mast and ariels, but came up with them still there.

Anyone want to esplain how I"m supposed to effect this change???? I thought I was just as simple as the cockpit moves, but not.

have a look at this long winded exterior "move" http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=28472

can't actually move exterior stuff but we can hide it and replaces it with a dummy weapon or pilot replacement (or just leave it missing)

define the mesh as a weaponstation is the short answer :-)

@geezer205, looking really nice

very under modelled era (Hawker Hart/Fury is a sweety as well :wink: )

how many poly doing the "scallops" if you don't mine me asking?

very under modelled era (Hawker Hart/Fury is a sweety as well :wink: )

how many poly doing the "scallops" if you don't mine me asking?

10,371...and climbing. :biggrin:

The A2N was a small and simple airframe, so the final poly-count (when finished) shouldn't be too outrageous. Dunno how practical this concept would be for a really large aircraft - such as a Curtiss Condor - but it should work OK for single engine aircraft.

Edited by geezer205

Don't forget the Gloster Gladiator. I've flown it in other sims. It's a blast to drive. The P shooter was also flown by the Republic of the Phillipines. There is a skin or 2 out there for WOV / SF.

I haven't checked my references, but I'm fairly sure that the Chinese operated Gladiators - they seem to have operated just about everything else! :biggrin:

At that time, China was a patchwork quilt of competing factions, governments, and warlords - bribery was the accepted way for an aircraft salesman to land a government contract. I suspect that was the background reason for the purchase of so many different types of aircraft.

I haven't checked my references, but I'm fairly sure that the Chinese operated Gladiators - they seem to have operated just about everything else! :biggrin:

At that time, China was a patchwork quilt of competing factions, governments, and warlords - bribery was the accepted way for an aircraft salesman to land a government contract. I suspect that was the background reason for the purchase of so many different types of aircraft.

Oh yah! A flight simmers delight.

The Nationalist Chinese did fly gladiators.

I think they were total green.

I have a request to the skinners who will be involved with this. The logic escapes me but there was this neutrality act marking BS where the roundel was placed on the upper forward surface of the fuselauge. That seems like fru fru to me. Visualize a large or chunky plane like a PBY, F4F, TBD, SBD, or F3F with a yellow wing and large national symbols on both wings. I think thats sufficient enough for the aircrews from another flight to determine if they are friendly, hostile, or neutral. So no neutrality act markings please. Hmm? The charlie lima hostility act? I don't think anybody on this site is neutral. We are all hostile and friendly.

Nearly finished. Just needs a few more widgets, like foot rests and lights. Then I can start the mapping.

A2N-10.jpg