Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Trying to diagnose a problem

I've posted this to the Tech guys at CH, but havent heard back yet and thought I'd give it a go here as well.

I've noticed lately that the rear Y axis seems to cut out when in use in FS2004. I'll be trying to land, and it will suddenly catch, causing a sharp pitch up. The other axis' are also acting up. They wont always engage. The weird thing is that the mini-thumb stick on the throttle works fine and will override the main stick.

I immediately thought it was my potentiometers going out, so I tried a recalibration to see if something was cutting out there. Everything worked fine and calibrated ok. So I tried swapping out my USB connections and moved the stick and throttle to two other USB ports. Still same results. So finally I tried another game. I fired up WoI and yanked and pulled on my stick, so to speak ;), and it worked fine. No loss on any of the axis'.

So... what do you guys think?

Jeff

Guest 531_Ghost

What do I think? FS2004 can be a real pain in the butt to configure as far as controller settings. The fact that your controllers are working in WOI tells me that the problem is with FS9, not the controllers. Have you got Control Manager installed?

I never did get a decent reply from the Tech guys at CH. They said that it could be a problem with an aftermarket product I installed in FS9 and that I should try a fresh install. That will take days as I've got alot added, not to mention all of the Traffic.

Yes I've got the Control Mngr installed and up to date. No problems there, so it has to be with FS9. Figures...

Thanks for asking though Ghost. It will wait until I get back in November and I'll mess with it then.

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest 531_Ghost

Okay, I was thinking that it may be an after market add on in FS9 as well. Sometimes they can throw stuff outa whack. As you've noticed, not fun when they do. I realize what you were told may be painful, but is probably needed to track down the problem. You wouldn't believe how many times I've installed, uninstalled Control Manager, and BETAS of it, just to break things. Fun!

If the axis are fine in calibration and in another game as well then there really isn't much else to look at other than MFS 2004.

If your Sensitivity and Null zones are set correctly then you have a issue with something you have "added on" to MFS 2004. Even Microsoft will tell you that a full 70% or better of the "problems" that users report as bugs or glitches are directly caused by add-ons.

I keep two installs of any game I mod.

1) is clean and never used

2) is modded and edited

When install #2 acts up I dump the directory and copy over the good one :)

Guest 531_Ghost

Thank you Michael. Welcome aboard!

Thanks Michael. This is the first time I've ever had conflicts in the 6 years I've been using CH products.

How are you guys able to get a second copy of FS9? Is it as simple as copy and pasting? I thought it would be a problem with the registry.

Thanks again all,

Jeff

The second copy is really easy since I don't play that copy so to speak.

In the Microsoft games folder I create a new folder I call "MFS backup", then I copy ALL of the FS9 folder contents into that backup folder after I do a CLEAN install. Then I can mod the installed MFS all I want.

On some of the games I have I wait to copy the "installed" folder contents until after I have patched and changed the video card settings and controller configs... but it depends on if I am going to "tweak" them to a semi unstable state or not.

In fact I think I have three folders for CounterStrike Source :) and I can't tell you how many times I have used the copy and paste on Stalker ;)