Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Need help of former or current US Navy personnel

Guest pfunkmusik

When my Mom and Dad divorced, my mom took all of my Dad's ribbons and medals and the citations that went with them.

She either hocked them or gave them away, but she doesn't have them and doesn't remember what she did with them. We've since reconciled and we get along a lot better (grandkids always help in this regard), but I've always been mad at her for losing those records.

Now it wasn't like Dad got anything amazing like the Navy Cross, but he did get a couple of Air Medals and at least one PH and I believe he was one of the very few men in his Air Wing who held a CIB (he didn't get it on purpose, so the story goes).

Anyway, I thought about for his birthday, trying to track down these citations and possibly going to a surplus store I know of that deals in old medals for collectors.

Does the Navy keep track of this stuff and would they still have these records and who would I need to contact to get the information and what would I need to have in hand in order for them to release these records to me?

pfunk

Edited by pfunkmusik

His form DD-214 (discharge papers) would include a list of everything he was awarded while in the Navy.

In theory, the Navy would have a complete copy of his records stored somewhere.

If they do, you should be able to get help accessing them, but you will need his service number.

When I was in the Navy, my SSN was my serial no. (circa 1989) but someone who served some time before that might have a unique number assigned by the Navy when they joined.

I am not sure who you would contact, but a good start would be any YN (yeoman) on any active ship or shore station who might be aware of the process you would need to follow to get the info you need.

On the otherhand, if your father kept his complete discharge paperwork and/or registered a copy with the local government's clerk (as I was directed to do when I was discharged and returned home), it would be easiest to start with the DD-214.

Good luck.

The Navy moves slow but steady.

If you keep bothering the right people and wait long enough, you can get what you need...

Unless they lost everything.

I have helped a couple people in regards to this, records can be obtained BUT you have to have his written permission and as far as the medals go, you can get "copies" fairly easy, oh ,they charge you for the records too. I cant recall the exact website, but it only took ME a couple mouse clicks, so its gotta be easy, lol

P.S. like streak said, "unless they lost everything", there was a fire that destroyed alot of records, i think it was records bfore 1950-something, it says which years at the .gov website.

Edited by gwar

PFunk:

The Veterans Administration should be able to help you also.

Almost everyone who was discharged was supposed to contact them after they got out and was to supply them with copies of their DD-214.

The VFW or American Legion might also be able to help if he was a member.

pfunkmusik,

Here's a link that should start you on the correct path.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-...d-form-180.html

All retired/former military personnel records are kept at the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), St. Louis, Mo. Just request form SF-180. Please be patient as the process is very slow moving. One thing though, as your father is still alive he may have to do this himself. Usually family members can request records after the veteran is deceased. Hope this helps. Please extend my heartfelt gratitude to your father for his service to our great nation.

Yours in Honor, Duty and Service,

C2