Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Are there any runners here...?

...or anyone else really who knows anything about this. I've recently joined the defence forces here in Oz and have currently in the midst of training like a mofo to stay healthy and keep fit I've run into a bit of a snag. I've just been told I have splints and it's making my life hell at the moment, at least, the part of it that does the running (because you know how they like to make you run! :tongue: ).

Does anyone have any tips about how to overcome this, or how to recover more quickly?? I'd be very appreciative for any insider info. Sprinting is okay-ish, but I've been finding I can't sprint as far as I used to be able to. Jogging is next to impossible and walking is perfectly fine, as though there's nothing wrong. The last doc I spoke to was quite vague about it all... but I think it's because he had more teeth than brain cells...

yeah...i run a lot Cross Country and Track. What I do for splints has worked perfect for me splints. Take an Ice cube (usually i use the little barrel shaped ones) or makes ice cubes using little dixie cups. While your just hanging out watching T.V. or such, rub the ice against the side of the Tibia (shin , more elaborate, on the front of you shin, the bone is almost triangle shaped, rub the ice on the front 2 sides of the triangle. )i usually go an ice cube on each side. I have also had coaches tell me to do things such as, take a towel or shirt and, while sitting down, hold the towel with both hands so that the towel runs underneath your foot at either the bridge of the ball and just tug slightly to flex you calf muscle. Another idea is similar to what I just told you and that is to tap you toe, if the towel inconveniences you. The last thing i was told is check your shoes. you may need to get some insoles that have more support for the bridge of your feet. try all of those, as the first and last ones should work for you because they have worked for me.

tony

edit: icing and stretching are things that need to be done everyday. once they are gone, i'd still do them for a few days.

Edited by GodSaveTheUSA73

I cant run to save my life but in the water its something else.

Have you tried swimming-its just as good for cardio, and it will be far easier on the bones.

We do a lot of running for conditioning for crew, so we also run into this problem occasionally. If you'd like to stay in shape while recovering, try using an indoor rowing machine (rowers call them ergs) instead. It works about the same muscles used in running, as well as some others, and is zero impact. I hope this helps.

Cheers guys! Yeah, I've been walking on my heels in a controlled manner as well as walking down hill a lot as this is supposed to help. I haven't tried the icing because Mum keeps hitting me with the spoon! (Bad joke, I know! : :doh: ) I'd heard conflicting accounts from different people on remedies for this so I haven't known which way to jump. Some have said to ice my calves down immediately after exercise, others have said to only do it when I begin to feel the pain (way past that point! :tongue:). I haven't been doing that since it's the depths of winter here at the moment and because I've been doing warm down exercises to offset this.

I've tried something similar to the towel exercise GodSave and I could certainly feel it stretching, so I'll give that a go more often I think. Cheers Arf, I'll give the rowing machine a try too since no one at my gym is ever using it. Although I've spoken to a former DI who's going to show me another type of stretch that should allow me to work the muscle while avoiding the impact too.

What's really been confusing me is that I have people on both sides here saying that I should stop completely for a few days and rest up, whilst I have others telling me to power through (and from what I've heard, that one's pretty counterproductive.).

ps. I used to swim a bit too, Stick, but more so for when I younger and my respiratory system was a bit crap. It's kinda hard to find a pool around here that's open during winter...

Stretching, bicycle training, swimming and running in place in water up to your chest. Or any cross-training that varies the stress on those shins. Too much pounding exercises can sometimes do some damage that is hard for the body to repair. Also remember to do a warm down after strenuous exercises such walking for 20 minutes. I used to get them when I was still growing as a teenager but then never got them again after that. Running every other day or so while doing other types of exercises may give your splints time to heal. It can take 48 hours for your body to fully bounce back from a sustained series of exercises. We would train hard for 3 or 4 days in a row and then a day before do a real easy short slow run before the next days competition. The day of the competition our bodies were ready to race. Diet and hydration of course too.

Edited by Roopod

have run three marathons, and usually run daily as a means to prevent judicious application of firearms on the deserving

shin splints are a matter of form...supposing that you have shoes that are comfortable (does not mean expensive, just what works for you). I have friends that do the new shoes a month...whatever...I have a pair of Nikes that cost $65 on sale and have put over a thousand miles on them...

Best advice I can give you...and you will all laugh...watch a nature show on Wolves...they have been recorded running literally for days on end...its all in their stride...they use a "loose gait" that basically involves a forward-fluid motion and low impact...they hold their feet through the entire stride rather than slamming it down into the ground like I watch 98% of people do...takes practice, but you will know when you get it right...

if this is unclear or you want to know more, send the PM to me

cheers

Wolves also tend not to run on hard surfaces such as pavement, concrete sidewalks, ...etc. Running on non-compacted surfaces decreases the risk of damage to your body. Trying to modify your stride or gate can be alittle more difficult without shape shifting your body though. Oh, and stay away from doing marathons, biatholons and the such. Those can do alot of damage to your body over the long run. I heard a story that the first guy who ran the marathon, well, he died.

there are people that do extreme marathons...one fellow ran one hundred miles to the start of a marathon...then ran the marathon.

wolves also do not wear shoes...that is why shoes that work are important since they help reduce the effect of the pavement...then again ever do a grass run? I dont mean soccer I mean find a lot of green and run through the wilderness like God intended...it is MUCH harder on the body...seems those fertile valleys are not as smooth as the picture on your desktop indicates...

and again, if you read the entire paragraph I clearly stated that some of you would laugh...every one has their own ideas about exercise and for Americans it is like religion and politics and supermarkets...only their ideas are the right ones and all other ideas are contrary to the light and therefore worthy only of disrepute.

Every person's body responds differently to the stress of physical exertion. I'm not going to speak for anyone else's experiences with marathons and related sports activities. I'm merely speaking of my own experiences with track, cross country running, and thirteen years in the military as an infantryman. Which, by the way, had to be cut short due to a couple of arthritic knees. I have nothing against anyone who wants to wear down their bodies within a decade or so. Maybe if I had four legs instead of only two I would still be able to run today. Yet walking does let me see more of my surroundings. Good shoes may reduce the stress but again, if you run continually on hard surfaces, eventually it begin to hurt you more. Especially those in the military who have to carry heavy loads and endure heat stress whilst covered with body armor, or sometimes chemical suits for days or even weeks at a time. This is totally different then wearing two pounds of clothing or a nice coat of fur. If you catch my drift.

Okay, I've given the running a little break and the calf muscles feel fine, although I'm having random people put their hands on my belly and ask when I'm due now. :tongue: No pain when I run/jog short distances, but it's definitely foot related. I've got fallen arches so I'm gonna have to get inserts (plus better running shoes would help). Oddly enough, I've been trying the different surfaces thing already as I live about 10 mins walk from the beach. I've gotta head up to Mt. Lofty (which is about 45mins away in the foothills) and go for a run in the hiking trails. I've heard uneven environments will help as I'll be utilising muscles I wouldn't normally use when running on flat zones.

wait...you live 10 minutes from the beach and are running on the road? Eh...stop wasting time and run on the beach, absolutely nothing is better than a beach run...except swimming...which an open water swim is the finest of all...so stop reading a forum about airplanes-in-Tron and go work out on the beach

When you run or hike power off with your toes and calf muscles a bit. Also if you can't avoid hard surfaces try wearing wieght lifter or cross trainer shoes. They have more padding. I've been running in my Blackhawk warriors lately cause my cross trainers are a bit worn. I use to get some wicked shin splints, but these have all worked for me. I use to swim alot but no lap pool here within 1 and a half hour. Just as well. My temperment is in no mode to see a perfectly good lane being wasted by some alternative aquatics non swimmer type.

:ph34r: CL