Sign in to follow this  
column5

Got iPhone?

ANyone get their 3G iPhone? I had to wait about an hour and a half but was able to get one at my suburban AT&T store. The online activation is down right now though. Silly Apple...

ANyone get their 3G iPhone? I had to wait about an hour and a half but was able to get one at my suburban AT&T store. The online activation is down right now though. Silly Apple...

1 Hour?!?!?

LOL here i'll have to wait till next year!

1 Hour?!?!?

LOL here i'll have to wait till next year!

My coworker and I got there an hour before they opened, and were about numbers 25 and 26 in line. I think there were about 100 people lined up when they opened.

Im getting mine today. now i just got to realize if im bringing the white or the black home...

Only in this country...we have the iphone but the costumer support aka apple virtual store is still inoperative here....go figure!

Never intend to get one. I hate is**t and AT&T's service sucks here. I don't roll with the starbucks crowd so my phone is old and just makes calls and sends text messages.

I'm sticking with it until it gets lost or doesn't work anymore. I'd rather spend my money on going out or games.

I carry a personal cell phone, a company blackberry, and an iPod. So its going to be very nice to consolidate onto one device.

I carry a personal cell phone, a company blackberry, and an iPod. So its going to be very nice to consolidate onto one device.

I got a Motorola Q (does the exact same thing a Blackberry does) and a 60 GB Video iPod. The Q plays music too but not foudn of the bluetooth head set. If Sprint got the iPhone I would get one. Would love to have it all on one device. My iPod is a must with me everywhere I go. From music to movies, waiting in line never is a problem much as along as I have that.

Never intend to get one. I hate is**t and AT&T's service sucks here. I don't roll with the starbucks crowd so my phone is old and just makes calls and sends text messages.

I'm sticking with it until it gets lost or doesn't work anymore. I'd rather spend my money on going out or games.

"I don't roll with the starbucks crowd so my phone is old and just makes calls and sends text messages."

I have a new found respect for you. :good:

"I don't roll with the starbucks crowd so my phone is old and just makes calls and sends text messages."

I have a new found respect for you. :good:

I don't roll with the Starbucks crowd.

Who are those people?

i got an Nokia N-95 some months ago.... it's pretty cool, but.....i still want the Iphone xD

I love technology!

Who are those people?

Lame yuppie metrosexuals who follow every trend without any intent of developing their own taste in anything. And are addicted to paying gas-like outrageous prices for coffee with incomprehensible names like a french-vanilla frappa-mocha-java-latte-chino or whatever coffee associated prefixes and suffixes they can string together.

I see the utility in having an all in one device, but I've seen a hundred adds for better phone-camera-gps-email-internet-kitchen sink-pdas than the iphone, with better carriers. Still have no idea just what to call such combinations. I'm just waiting for them to add car remote control like from james bond. :biggrin:

Hmmmm, are you sure about that?

Its funny becuause where I live, ATT has the best coverage and the service at (some of) their stores is more than satisfactory. I've been with them since they were BellSouth, then Cingular and now ATT.

i have the regular iPhone for the time being.. very pleased with it.. does the job and more! :)

I've got a cheap Motorola that I use to make an occasional phone call. It gets text spam every once in awhile. I find I have no desire for anything more in a phone...because it does what a phone is supposed to do.

I have a Zen for my MP3s and it's great, no proprietary format crap. MP3, WMA, WAV support.

I have a cheapo Nokia, battered and bruised but does the trick.

It doesn't even have a camera on it, if I want pics I'll use a real camera.

That's the luddite in me. Mobiles (cellphones to you of an American persuasion) with frills on, I can take em or leave em.

They're all hype!

As long I can can talk or text that'll do me :blink:

I am typing this on the iPhone. The browser on this thing is sick!

I have a cheapo Nokia, battered and bruised but does the trick.

It doesn't even have a camera on it, if I want pics I'll use a real camera.

That's the luddite in me. Mobiles (cellphones to you of an American persuasion) with frills on, I can take em or leave em.

They're all hype!

As long I can can talk or text that'll do me :blink:

True say, after all, that is why it's called a phone. To do all the other stuff (listen to music, take pictures, video, internet etc), I would anyway get something that's dedicated to each task. Some of these gadgets strike me as a jack of all trades and master of none.

Some of these gadgets strike me as a jack of all trades and master of none.

A bit like an F-4 eh :biggrin:

Only joking...or am I :blink:

Hey, I'm not saying these gadgets aren't convenient for some. I'm sure they're great.

Just not for me. (caveat: yet :wink: )

I am typing this on the iPhone. The browser on this thing is sick!

What ?

With your big stubby fingers C5 ! :biggrin:

What ?

With your big stubby fingers C5 ! :biggrin:

:wink:

Lame yuppie metrosexuals who follow every trend without any intent of developing their own taste in anything. And are addicted to paying gas-like outrageous prices for coffee with incomprehensible names like a french-vanilla frappa-mocha-java-latte-chino or whatever coffee associated prefixes and suffixes they can string together.

I see the utility in having an all in one device, but I've seen a hundred adds for better phone-camera-gps-email-internet-kitchen sink-pdas than the iphone, with better carriers. Still have no idea just what to call such combinations. I'm just waiting for them to add car remote control like from james bond. :biggrin:

LOL you sound just like LB :biggrin: Couldnt agree more mate I have some wierd Motorola knockoff-of-a(-krazr / razor-)knockoff...and a older model 30GB Video...and im just fine with it...(though more memory wouldnt be a bad thing...only got 1GB left...) :haha:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And to silver...someone'll probably make one...eventually...probably...maybe...lol

Edited by i90807065

No I-phone here, because of the national day. All will be closed, so in order to avoid a catastrophic launch, they decided to report it to next week.

By the way, I'm quite conservative with phone, still using a good old black and white screen nokia who can only be used... as a phone! I do prefer a phone-only thing, but hey! I'm in the rear-guard! :grandpa:

OK, after using it for nearly two full days, here is a "first-impressions" sort of review.

First, to set up the context of this review, I am coming from a Motorola Razr which I consider to be among the worst phones I have ever owned from a usability and interface standpoint. Doing anything with it other than basic phone calls is not worthwhile. I also carry a company Blackberry to get my Exchange email and a 5th gen iPod 30-gig. My objective in buying the iPhone was to combine all three functins into a single, easy-to-use device.

In short, mission accomplished.

The user interface on the iPhone is one of the best I have used. Its responsive and intuitive. None of its functions are difficult to access or use.

The phone is straightforward and easy to use. The "buttons" are large and easy to target.

The phonebook is also easy to use and manage. This was a major pain on the Razor and I'm very happy with what the iPhone offers in this regard.

The iPod functionality is very nice. Using coverflow to browse through albums is not only easy, but kind of fun and cool. The drawback here is that the highest capacity iPhone is 16-gig, and you have to pay $100 extra for that capacity. I have ~20-gigs of my CD collection currently ripped so I can no longer carry all of my music with me like I can on the iPod. Just means I have to be more selective (maybe I don't need to take Adam Ant and Thomas Dolby with me everywhere).

Using Safari on the iPhone is quite cool, and is the first web browser on a handheld device that I would call useful. The multi-touch controls do a nice job of helping you navigate and zoom in/out on the small but very sharp and clear screen. The iPhone can connect to 802.100b/g networks in addition to the 3g network, so as you roam around and add WiFi networks (such as at work, home, the gym, Starbucks) you start to build up a fairly wide area of even higher performance Internet access.

Finally, iPhone 2.0 supports Exchange ActiveSync so I can access my Exchange mail, calendar and contacts. This all works very nicely and takes less than 2 minutes to set up. The major drawback is that when syncing with exchange, you cannot sync any personal calendars or address books from other services--ActiveSync overwrites them.

I guess the thrust of this overview is that Apple has done a nice job putting all these features together and making them easy to use. That is really the key IMO and makes the iPhone worth the price if you need all of these features.