Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

USS Cabot question

I dont think Stratos should be discouraged from doing this mod and campaign.

Sorry, don't get me wrong. I'm all for Stratos doing his mod. :good: One of the beauties of the TW series is being able to do ''what ifs"................ I've done many myself (attempting to land F-4's on a WWII MAC ship, for example).

Just trying to imagine what it would be like to land jets on such a small flight deck............. and the consequences.

I think the most I would want to land on the Dedalo would be an A-4, props would be great but I think it will be cool regardless what he does.

Edited by MAKO69

Personally I do not like what ifs, especially fictional planes :blink: But if it is possible, so why do not make them :biggrin:

BTW, all campaigns in WOE for example are what if, so they are fictional.

This what if scenario looks good to me :yes:

And small deck is danger for plane, but it is possible land on it in SFP1 series world, of course. If somebody like some reality and want land just in cockpit view, it is really controlled crash...

Happy landing on small carrier deck depends on good method. Various planes have various pits in SFP1 series (Thanx to God and modders). Skyhawk has ideal view from cockpit, Crusaders view from pit is not so good. I tried many times put Crusader on small deck. The only safe way was hit key for "remove" cockpit, and see just gunsight reticle... Than was happy landig :biggrin:

But I like some reality, so tried put him on deck with standard cockpit view. After dozen crashes I concluded, that good method is: landing from curve. Crazy formulation, but my english is not best.

This is example. Actor. F4U Corsair (bit different from F-8 :haha: )

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=idfFUQEPwgg&...feature=related

You can see carrier deck from Crusader cockpit longer than in classic landing (so easy with Skyhawk). Still danger, but good adrenaline after exciting mission :yes:

Edited by kukulino

Roger that

Personally I do not like what ifs, especially fictional planes :blink: But if it is possible, so why do not make them :biggrin:

BTW, all campaigns in WOE for example are what if, so they are fictional.

This what if scenario looks good to me :yes:

And small deck is danger for plane, but it is possible land on it in SFP1 series world, of course. If somebody like some reality and want land just in cockpit view, it is really controlled crash...

Happy landing on small carrier deck depends on good method. Various planes have various pits in SFP1 series (Thanx to God and modders). Skyhawk has ideal view from cockpit, Crusaders view from pit is not so good. I tried many times put Crusader on small deck. The only safe way was hit key for "remove" cockpit, and see just gunsight reticle... Than was happy landig :biggrin:

But I like some reality, so tried put him on deck with standard cockpit view. After dozen crashes I concluded, that good method is: landing from curve. Crazy formulation, but my english is not best.

This is example. Actor. F4U Corsair (bit different from F-8 :haha: )

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=idfFUQEPwgg&...feature=related

You can see carrier deck from Crusader cockpit longer than in classic landing (so easy with Skyhawk). Still danger, but good adrenaline after exciting mission :yes:

I dont think Stratos should be discouraged from doing this mod and campaign.

I'm not! I'm all for it! That's what great about this sim and this crowd!

he did ask what the feasibility would have been.

Don't worry, I really want to have this one, as a True "what if", I want to add a fleet defender version of the A7 Corsair with Afterburner, search radar, 4 Sidewinders...

Asked for help to Wrench, If not will try to mod by myself, unfortunately no topics about it in the KB :(

The A-7F was a real plane, and adding extra heaters wouldn't be that big a deal. I just don't know what kind of specs an AA radar in that nose would have. Maybe 40 mile range max? Without RH missiles it really doesn't matter too much anyway, it's not an interceptor.

Stratos hows this project going?

Would JATO have been safe to use on those carriers?

Asked by Jedi Master

-28 APR48 2 PV2-2 Neptunes launched, both using JATO aboard a wood planked unangled deck of USS Coral Sea

-'49 JAN Composit Squadron 5 formed, took delivery of 12 P2V-3C.

4 March 1949 Carrier trials and quals aboard USS Coral Sea

April,May,June 1949 carrier trials and quals aboard USS Midway unangled wood planked deck using JATO and logging 182 arrested landings.

-Sept 1949 then Safe for:

Sec of Defense Louis Johnson

Sec of Airforce Stuart Symington

Chair joint Chiefs Gen Omar Bradley

climbed aboard a Neptune for a demo bomb run from USS MIDWAY using JATO on takeoff run

A P2V-3C weighs just under 50,000 lbs empty, loaded w/an "A" bomb between 68,000 and 74,000 lbs in scale and theory Dedalo should be able to handle a smaller plane like an A-4 Skyhawk or similar jet.

Edited by MAKO69

Has it been used since 1950?? :grin:

JATOs used all the time :biggrin:

Edited by MAKO69

No, I just meant "on a wooden-decked A/C carrier."

Now i see the Demon at column5 i remeber I heard something about the

possibility of using f3h Demon, but project was cancelled considering it out of budget

and technically "worthless". ¿Anyone heard anything about export the Demon?

Edited by macelena

I think it's fair to say that no jet aircraft (except for VTOL jets, of course) could have operated off the Dedalo due to the rather small size of its flight deck.

Has Dédalo wooden or steel deck? Original deck was wooden I think. But was her deck reworked or not in Spanish Navy?

Her flight deck was steel. In 1980 she sailed past the Saratoga while we were stopped in NS Rota. You don't know how small she is until you are on a Forrestal class or later ship and you look DOWN on her flight deck. Now I know why they were called Jeep Carriers.