Sign in to follow this  
Guest 531_Ghost

50 years ago? Holy crap!

Guest 531_Ghost

An e-mail I recieved today...

I am pleased to announce that the House of Representatives passed H.Res.1067 last night, a resolution that Congressman Joe Courtney introduced earlier this year to honor the 50th anniversary of the USS Nautilus’s crossing of the North Pole -- or “90 North.” The resolution passed unanimously by a vote of 375-0 (Roll 486).

Congressman Courtney led the debate in the House on the resolution. You can find a link to the video of the debate here, a transcript of the debate here, and finally a list of the 90 North crewmembers that Congressman Courtney entered into the record here.

Congressman Courtney introduced the resolution on April 1, 2008 with the support of twenty original cosponsors, including House Armed Services Committee Chairman Ike Skelton (D-MO) and the entire Connecticut Congressional Delegation. The resolution eventually received the bipartisan support of 35 members of Congress, including many from the House Armed Services Committee.

“The history and the legacy of the Nautilus is not only meaningful to my Congressional District, but to the entire submarine force and our nation,” Congressman Courtney said during debate. “Too often the critical achievements of our submarine force, our ‘Silent Service,’ go unnoticed. The resolution today rightfully honors not only the officers and crew of the Nautilus, but all those who played a part in her success from the highest levels of our government, to the countless support ships and personnel who helped her along the way, and finally the talented workforce at Electric Boat who gave us the ‘first and finest’ submarine in our history.”

As you may know, today the Nautilus serves as the cornerstone of the U.S. Submarine Force Library and Museum in Groton, where she serves as a museum where visitors from around the world come to learn about both her history-making service to our nation and the role of the submarine force in securing our nation. Last month, the museum unveiled an exhibit commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 90 North crossing. The exhibit runs through March 2009 and includes rare artifacts and previously unpublished images of the journey. The Nautilus will also be the site of the official ceremony marking the anniversary on Sunday, August 3, 2008.

“The Nautilus truly helped set the tone as the standard bearer for the submarine force,” Courtney said. “Achievements like the crossing of 90 North both proved the capabilities of our nation at a critical time in our history and raised the bar for all those who came after her. This resolution is a much-deserved recognition of the important role the submarine force plays in the security of our nation, and I thank my colleagues for their strong support.”

Thank you all for your help and support in this effort!

Neil

Neil McKiernan

Senior Legislative Assistant | Congressman Joe Courtney (CT-2)

Dude that is awesome!