I would like to feedback on the MiG-27D, K and M. There shouldn't be the red lines on the nose and the red star is incorrectly(partially) displayed, almost like its distorted. How do I fix this?

What you are seeing is decal bleed. Also a little tip, convert your pictures to a jpeg format, they take up a lot less bandwidth and thus loading times.

Don't take Jimmy's advice as a tip -- consider it an ORDER.

Convert the damn things to jpgs...mmmkay?? It helps reduce bandwidth usage here at the site.

And he's right, it's decal bleed. If you'd been paying attenion to a hundred million threads, its mentioned coutless times. It's caused by an 'open mesh' in the 3d model. Since decals sit ON TOP of said model, it's like paint running into a crack on the wall. Can only be fixed by the original modler, going back in the Max, and fusing/welding/ or however they do it, the offending meshes together.

BTW, didn't we give you a whole thread to place your questions into??? Lets try and use that one, shall we?

Wrench

kevin stein

Can only be fixed by the original modler, going back in the Max, and fusing/welding/ or however they do it, the offending meshes together.

You are absolutly right, Kevin. This can only be fixed by the modler. There is a pretty easy, but not always working way. The TW exporter tool gives you two options to export the model. One with and one without decals. Most models are in fact exported without decals, as this provides a smaller (in filesize) and more stable LOD model. If you export with decals, all bleeding is eliminated, but you get in danger that the model causes heavy FPS drops/CTDs and other stuff we all enjoy. :biggrin:

Depends on how good (in this case, how bad!) the model was built. I just had the idea of making an agreement with all modders to add both LOD versions in future downloads. Would be nice if older mods would get an update, but first lets establish a standard for future mods.

What do you think of this?

Thanks, Florian!

considering that statement was almost my entire knowledge on 3d modeling... :wink: I can't even make a box in Anim8tor!!!

I wasn't aware of the with or without decals options... but I can assume with, as you say, creates a larger, heavier model. Makes the poly count go up, perhaps?

As to differening models, I LIKE idea; of course, I'm not building them (oh, gods-do I wish I had that talent!) With modern machines, the highter poly count may not have much effect on frame rates. Doing the FlightEngine ini mod probably is a large plus -and should be the first mod anyone makes, on any machine

I guess, in the end, it all boils down to how much time the modeler wants to invest -- I'm pretty sure some of these birds take nearly forever to build correctly! There as sooo many older models that could use a little lovin' as they say!

Wrench

kevin stein

Errrhhhh, no. The model itself isn´t changing at all. It´s also just a several-seconds-job to make these two LOD files. The exporter works more like the "Save as" buttons in explorer. You push either the "with decals" button, or the "without decals" one. Then you choose the folder where to save and you´re done. So my thought was, in case someone runs into bleeding decals he could copy the "with decals" LOD and replace the one without to avoid this. Polycount would be the same for both.

Edit:I will do this in my next releases and see who follows. :wink:

Edited by AmokFloo

point noted on image. So from my understanding am I right to say that only the modeler can fix it?

Edited by CaptainCA