Sign in to follow this  
gbnavy61

TMF Crusader Questions

First off, love the MF Crusaders. Just a tits airplane and well done by TMF. BZ, lads.

Now onto the unpleasantness...

Running Vista, using WOI w/ latest update, and TMF Weapons Pack for WOI (May '08).

I experience this problem w/ some Crusaders but at times the starboard side Y rail appears upside down. Actually, it's more correct to say that the starboard rail appears to be the port rail, just just rolled 180 degrees and stuck to the starboard side. I think this is a glitch and not designed into the model on purpose. Every photo I found seemed to indicate that the rails on each side should mirror each other (on both sides the upper AIM-9 is slightly forward of the lower). It's not a major problem - she still flies like a dream (a Mach 1.7+ dream), but as one who appreciates the aesthetic qualities of the Crusader, it bugs me.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and if so, is there a way to fix it?

img00001zn8.png

Also, not sure what that black bit is on the starboard side. Is it related, or is that supposed to be there?

Lastly, anyone know if a true photo recce version is being pondered?

Edited by gbnavy61

Hi,

The reversed sidewinder rails was a minor glitch in the first release - simply copy and paste the data.ini listing for the starboard side rails from a later release (F-8J etc.) into your file and you'll be good to go.

The "black part" was simply black paint often used to hide APU exhaust stains - some squadrons would paint it up, others wouldn't.

SB

First off, love the MF Crusaders. Just a tits airplane and well done by TMF. BZ, lads.

Now onto the unpleasantness...

Running Vista, using WOI w/ latest update, and TMF Weapons Pack for WOI (May '08).

I experience this problem w/ some Crusaders but at times the starboard side Y rail appears upside down. Actually, it's more correct to say that the starboard rail appears to be the port rail, just just rolled 180 degrees and stuck to the starboard side. I think this is a glitch and not designed into the model on purpose. Every photo I found seemed to indicate that the rails on each side should mirror each other (on both sides the upper AIM-9 is slightly forward of the lower). It's not a major problem - she still flies like a dream (a Mach 1.7+ dream), but as one who appreciates the aesthetic qualities of the Crusader, it bugs me.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon, and if so, is there a way to fix it?

Also, not sure what that black bit is on the starboard side. Is it related, or is that supposed to be there?

Lastly, anyone know if a true photo recce version is being pondered?

The reversed sidewinder rails was a minor glitch in the first release - simply copy and paste the data.ini listing for the starboard side rails from a later release (F-8J etc.) into your file and you'll be good to go.

The reversed sidewinder rail is in fact a model issue that affects the F-8D & E, thus using the F-8J's data.ini will not change the shape of the rail itself, just the placement of missiles and rocket racks.

The reversed sidewinder rail is in fact a model issue that affects the F-8D & E, thus using the F-8J's data.ini will not change the shape of the rail itself, just the placement of missiles and rocket racks.

Yes, I did find that out, after I attempted the suggested fix. At least, it's slightly better.

We will get out a small update for the D and E to fix that problem. No ETA but hopefully soon. Sorry for the oversight.

We will get out a small update for the D and E to fix that problem. No ETA but hopefully soon. Sorry for the oversight.

Thank you! :good:

Cool. Thanks. I look forward to it.

my time is limited ... and the work is big (not the the side pyls for all stuffs)...

i will release planes soon.... but i don't know when ... until yesterday i'm working IRL, now i have 2 or 3 weeks off.. perhaps i will have time.

:biggrin:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

It's not often we see you post here so, I'm sure I speak for everyone, your work is superb!

CANAF-8E03.jpg

Ok, here's a new one (for me at least). I noticed on some models, the canopy open/close animation works fine, but the view from inside the cockpit doesn't show the canopy opened/closed, while others do.

I think it works fine in the B and J, but the D and E show a closed canopy regardless of the animation. Is this another issue related to these two being the first F-8's released, or something else?

Edited by gbnavy61

Nope, the cockpit view is the same for all versions, you are not able to see whether the canopy is open or not. But unlike the inverted missile rails I do not consider this to be an issue that needs to be addressed.

i will release planes soon.... but i don't know when ... until yesterday i'm working IRL, now i have 2 or 3 weeks off.. perhaps i will have time.

:biggrin:

:notworthy::wink:

Edited by Gocad

Nope, the cockpit view is the same for all versions, you are not able to see whether the canopy is open or not. But unlike the inverted missile rails I do not consider this to be an issue that needs to be addressed.

:notworthy::wink:

Well, the issue may not need to be addressed. Still, it would be interesting to know what causes it in some and not the others. Perhaps it's a quick-fix .ini edit or something we could do ourselves - not requiring a whole new download.

Either way, something is different between the versions because you are able to see the canopy open or close from inside the cockpit on certain F-8's. Try it out, I'm not making this up. The mirrors are on the canopy frame, not the windscreen frame - you can watch them go away as the canopy opens.

If a canopy opens or closes as seen from the inside depends on several factors.

First, the traditional way is there are two separate canopy openings...one on the external model and one on the cockpit model. Both have to be animated and then the animations 'linked' in the cockpit.ini file. This works for models designed before First Eagles and WOI.

A second method involves the external model being visible from the cockpit. There are two ways of doing this. One, is reducing the clip distance to within a meter. The problem with this method is that you can get severe flashing faces on external objects...especially buildings.

The second method only works on FE and WOI. Adding the line 'OpenCockpit=TRUE' basically reduces the clip distance just for the cockpit view. See an example of the difference in the 'Thunderwarrior' thread by Wrench.

In either case, the idea is actually using the external model for part of the cockpit. And you still need to animate the external model canopy...if the model has an external model canopy to animate.

FastCargo