Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonRoamer

Beriev Be2500 super heavy (WIP)

You may remember my previous thread

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...=27715&st=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-2500

however I ran into some problems, but after learning a little more I've gotten back to basics.

post-24797-1216547019_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216547056_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216547066_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216547099_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216547107_thumb.jpg

After taking a look at the C-5 I redesigned the gear and bombay.

Now could I some feedback. which should I build, a clamshell rear door like the last one, or a loading ramp like the C-130

Edited by CrimsonRoamer

how big is the pit like a living room?! this will be a great plane and a nice tanker...

I hadn't given much thought to the cockpit put it probably would be somewhat ridiculous to keep using the same on B-17G cockpit.

I'll be spending all my time trying to get this airborne, so maybe if one of our pit builders felt lik making a simple modern cockpit.

Right now I'm working a cargo/bomber configuration. maybe afterwards there'll be a tanker and/or AWACs

EDIT

I made a simple awacs dish for testing and started skinning the wheels.

post-24797-1216559473_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216559510_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1216559534_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrimsonRoamer

What was more standard Soviet Doctrine on cargo aircraft doors around the time this was being built?

A modded C-130 pit could work.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

What was more standard Soviet Doctrine on cargo aircraft doors around the time this was being built?

Well considering it's at a similar stage of development as the nuclear powered car, it's anyone's guess. Personnally I prefer the clamshells.

And I forgot we had a C-130 pit, d'oh

Clamshells are cool although, when what's inside is cooked they are even better. :biggrin:

I would think an An-124 style door in the rear would make the most sense.

My main concern is that plane looks like it would tip over in a strong wind! That landing gear is very narrow track for a wingspan that large. I mean, the Bf109 had issues with tipping over and its gear was proportionately a much wider stance.

Maybe some outrigger gear ala B-47/52 underneath the point where the wings switch from anhedral to dihedral?

At the very least the fuselage itself would be bulged out at the bottom where the gear goes, like on the Il-76/C-17/C-5/An-124/etc giving it a more triangular cross section in that area. Oh, and I would add even more wheels. That sucker must be HEAVY. :grin:

I would think an An-124 style door in the rear would make the most sense.

My main concern is that plane looks like it would tip over in a strong wind! That landing gear is very narrow track for a wingspan that large. I mean, the Bf109 had issues with tipping over and its gear was proportionately a much wider stance.

Maybe some outrigger gear ala B-47/52 underneath the point where the wings switch from anhedral to dihedral?

At the very least the fuselage itself would be bulged out at the bottom where the gear goes, like on the Il-76/C-17/C-5/An-124/etc giving it a more triangular cross section in that area. Oh, and I would add even more wheels. That sucker must be HEAVY. :grin:

The real deal is actually designed to be a seaplane, and saves weight by not having sturdy landing gear, which is only meant for flying from the factory and back for maintenence

Edited by CrimsonRoamer

Oh dear, this is turning into a very realistic development program. drawn out and over budget.

Modelling is mostly done, animations are done and its sufficiently skinned for testing, now the only problem I have is getting it to work in game. If anyone has some advice I'd be happy to hear it.

And now for the only you're reading this. the pics

post-24797-1220221254_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220221296_thumb.jpg

Try borrowing an FM from another aircraft (preferably something large) to test it out, then slowly work your way there.

First, read the exporter notes (they are located somewhere...I just don't remember where)...

Mainly, make sure you have the parts as a heiarchy in links (ie the ailerons are attached to the wings which are attached to the fuselage).

For parts that needed to be animated by the game engine (the ailerons, rudders, nosewheel steering, etc) make sure the rotation axis is aligned properly.

Oh, and for animations, make sure you are using TCB! Otherwise, they probably won't work...

Those tend to be the big issues to get it flying in game.

If you want, PM me. I might be able to get it in game for you relatively quickly (enough so you can take over)...

FastCargo

FastCargo you are incredible, thanks a lot

EDIT: Inflight pics

post-24797-1220352915_thumb.jpg

"This your first time in a heavy?"

post-24797-1220352926_thumb.jpg

The size is simply astonising, the ingame camera has difficulty keeping up.

post-24797-1220352937_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220352951_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220353036_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220353081_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220353111_thumb.jpg

The internal bomb bays might best be described as cavernous, there's room for several BLU-82s and a Tsar bomb to spare.

post-24797-1220353130_thumb.jpg

post-24797-1220353139_thumb.jpg

As a conventional bomber it could probably level a city, the design payload is a million kilograms.

The are still some problems with the flight model to sort out. It tends to pitch down uncommanded, and the large wings should generate more lift. I'll get to work on those, but great job getting it into the game FastCargo.

Maybe I'll incorporate flaps and slats,

How would you guys feel like a gunship version? a next generation flying fortress, with howitzers and autocannon like the Spooky

Edited by CrimsonRoamer

That is REALLY BIG.

Can this thing even store some of the smaller jets? It's huge.

With that payload it should be able to carry about 4000 500-pounders.

Dang!

That would make it capable of wall-to-wall carpet bombing!

:biggrin:

i can only imagine it as a flying carrier. nothing else. it's just big enough to be only that

So kinda like that giant thing from AC6, Agamemnon or summut? :dntknw:

I honestly cant remember, maybe its cuz I havent been able to play my 360 in a month

"How would you guys feel like a gunship version? a next generation flying fortress, with howitzers and autocannon like the Spooky"

Now thats a killer idea, and on top of that it could still retain the capability to drop bombs and launch missiles the freaking thing is huge and has 2 bomb bays right?. We need a better gunsight/targeting simulation for the AC-130 I have the Yap version and while it is cool it leaves a lot to be desired. what we need is something like the AC-130 targeting system they built for Call of duty 4, that mission totally rocked We also need to find a way to get gunships to work

correctly with the AI. I have seen my yap AC-130E actually hit things when being flown by AI... i do not know if it was a fluke but it happened multiple times in a mission- a ground object would open up on the AC-130 and the spectre

would hose the object with 20mm and 7.62 as it flew by. But if i assign the AC-130 a target it will normally dive "nose on" the target while firing wildly at a 90 degree angle off target.

Edited by Icarus999

post-24797-1220619975_thumb.jpg

It's not winning any beauty contests, but nothing comes close (they get shot down first)

Now if only it could shoot at ground targets

Edited by CrimsonRoamer

Would it be enough to defend itself against aircrafts first?

Would it be enough to defend itself against aircrafts first?

Oh yeah, souped up 30mm autocannons with radar gunsights to fend off anything that gets within visual range of the formation.

Edit: And on the more mundane side of things, I made the engine pods a more realistic size and added thrust reversers, since cargo craft to stop quickly and usually don't have air-brakes

post-24797-1220644593_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrimsonRoamer