I've been trying to create a bit of variety in my gun sounds, of which the default sounds are a bit limp to say the least. Lately I went nosing in the new Falklands War mod sound files and found a whole Aladdin's cave of .wav sounds for the Soviet NR-30, Gsh-23/301, 20mm Mk13 for the A-4 Skyhawk; the list goes on....

So here I am rubbing my paws at the thought of a more interesting sound scheme in my dogfights (think of Homer Simpson: Mmmmmmmm....gun sooouuunds! :biggrin: ) and I get to work on my Gun Editor:

I open the Gun Editor, select the GunData.ini file and open it. I then select the gun type I want to edit and typr in the .wav sound I want for that gun. I then save my changes in the Gun Editor and start up the game, when to my surprise, there's no sound at all!

Forgive me for the biographical explanation, but I just wanted to record the steps I took for everyone to see just in case I did something wrong.

If not, can somebody help me out on this? :dntknw:

Is your gun editor set for Win95 compatability???

Wrench

kevin stein

Is your gun editor set for Win95 compatability???

Wrench

kevin stein

Nope. Win98/ME compatibilty.

you need to add your sounds to soundlist.ini

Tried and tested it my friend. No luck I'm afraid. The soundlist is supposed to be in the Flight folder isn't it? I needed to ask that just in case it's supposed to be somewhere else.

yep, Flight folder.

check that the numbering sequence is not broken

yep, Flight folder.

check that the numbering sequence is not broken

Done and dusted. No problems there. I never knew before that the soundlist.ini had to be amended every time I added a sound file to the sounds folder. Until recently I used to just whack the .wav file in and then amend the aircraft data file/gundata file without any hiccups

check the name of the soundfile and the entries in the soundlis tini, they must be all identical, e.g. :

Cannon.wav in sounds folder

[soundList]

SoundFile001=Cannon <---

[Cannon] <-------------

Priority=NORMAL

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=FALSE

MaxDist=1000.000000

MinDist=50.000000

InsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=0

then check the name in the gundata ini

Done and dusted. No problems there. I never knew before that the soundlist.ini had to be amended every time I added a sound file to the sounds folder. Until recently I used to just whack the .wav file in and then amend the aircraft data file/gundata file without any hiccups

Don't feel bad,

A few years ago, I uploaded a sounds "megapack". The readme included with it detailed the necessary steps to add new sounds. Despite this, more than a few people (who's names I shall not mention), had issues installing gun sounds, namely, the Gsh sound. Right, Kevin? :haha:

You just HAD to bring that up, dincha ya????? :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi again guys. Just back from alittle experimentation. I totally forgot that I still have my original Flight folder in the main directory which I renamed 'Flight_Default', after I downloaded the fabulous environmental mod recently. It turns out that I was amending the soundlist.ini in that original folder, which the game has been told to ignore. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again guys for all your help. It's good to know that it's only a click away :good:

Hmmm, and I work at Sound Pack 3, I have sounds...

Hmmm, and I work at Sound Pack 3, I have sounds...

Great stuff my friend. I'm always up for some sound experimentation. Do you have any sneak previews? :wink:

Great stuff my friend. I'm always up for some sound experimentation. Do you have any sneak previews? :wink:

I modify files: bulletobject.ini and missileobject.ini.

@ Signum your sounds are great, but when you spool up the engines it sounds a bit to "high" don`t know why but in iddle position it`s ok only when you increase the RPM it`S hard to use your soundpacks.

And this is the same? :dntknw:

I know it's to short.

Edited by Signum