Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

A Quick, Neat, Little Mod

Here's something that'll be easy enough for the noobs to accomplish, allowing them to get their hands dirty without hosing anything, and something that should be a cakewalk for more experienced hands.

*The following step is only necessary if you do not have the missileobject.ini and soundlist.ini already extracted*

First, using the SFP1E extraction utility (you'll find it under downloads, in the SF utilities section), extract the following files:

From the ObjectData.CAT (it's located in the Objects folder), the MISSILEOBJECT.INI

From the FlightData.CAT (which is located in the Flight folder), the SOUNDLIST.INI

Next, open the extracted MISSILEOBJECT.INI by double clicking on it, and perform the following edits:

[LargeMissileEffects]

GroundHitEffectName=LargeMissileGroundExplosion

GroundHitSoundName=SmallExplosion.wav

WaterHitEffectName=MediumBombWaterHitEffect

WaterHitSoundName=

ObjectHitEffectName=LargeMissileAirExplosion

ObjectHitSoundName=SmallExplosion.wav

ArmorHitEffectName=LargeMissileAirExplosion

ArmorHitSoundName=SmallExplosion.wav

AirBurstEffectName=LargeMissileAirExplosion

AirBurstSoundName=SAMBurst.wav

CraterModelName=

CraterType=2

Save your edits by closing notepad or whatever editor you've used, and leave the file in place (in the Objects folder).

Now, go to your flight folder and locate the soundlist.ini and add the following line to the list section, numbering it as required:

SoundFile029=SAMBurst

Then, scroll down, and add this data entry to the very bottom of the page:

[sAMBurst]

Priority=HIGH

Looped=FALSE

NumBuffers=4

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=FALSE

MaxDist=3500.000000

MinDist=10.000000

InsideConeAngle=360

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=1

Save the edits, close the editor, and leave the file in place in the Flight folder.

Now, download this .wav file attachment and drop it into your Sounds folder:

I did this several months ago, and had forgotten about it, until I experienced a near miss from an SA-6, that detonated a few hundred meters behind me... :biggrin:

Thanks Fubar!

'bout jumped outta my damn seat too!!

VERY NICE!!! I LIKE IT

and I got it to work on the first try!! :rofl: How' that Ed???!!!! :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

and I got it to work on the first try!! :rofl: How' that Ed???!!!! :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Maybe there's (some) hope for you, afterall....... :wink:

Fantastic stuff my friend. As quick and easy as French toast but ten times more enjoyable :wink: . Great for someone who enjoys as realistic an air combat environment as I do.... 10/10. All thats missing is the PC/laptop shaking from the near miss :rofl: . Just out of curiosity; does this mod apply only to SAMs or do I have to make similar changes to apply the same changes to near misses from air to air missiles?

Well, I wouldn't exactly refer to it as "realistic" :biggrin:

You can apply it to anything you want. I use a similar sound effect for surface hits from naval gunfire, with just a bit of lag and frequency shifting.

Well, I wouldn't exactly refer to it as "realistic" :biggrin:

You can apply it to anything you want. I use a similar sound effect for surface hits from naval gunfire, with just a bit of lag and frequency shifting.

Awesome idea!!! But...

... speaking of realism, I was wondering if in real life you would actually hear something like that from the cockpit? I'm not saying you wouldn't since I have no idea. That's why I'm asking...

Edited by malibu43

Awesome idea!!! But...

... speaking of realism, I was wondering if in real life you would actually hear something like that from the cockpit? I'm not saying you wouldn't since I have no idea. That's why I'm asking...

From what I've read, it would have to be real close. So close in fact, that you'd more than likely hear fragments pinging off the airframe and canopy :blink:

That's why I made the comment regarding realism...but, after all, this is a game. As Sparko would often say "Full realism would entail one getting doused with jet fuel and then set ablaze" :haha:

Hello everyone

i'm sorry, but when i click on '' SamBurst.wav'' it goes to a page and then my windows media player opens and then i plays, but no download.

Hello everyone

i'm sorry, but when i click on '' SamBurst.wav'' it goes to a page and then my windows media player opens and then i plays, but no download.

If you want, you can get QT Lite (link). It's free, but more importantly, it comes with a browser plugin. Open the file up in the browser, go to File -> Save Page As.

Or, if WMP will let you, open it up, click File -> Save Media.

Edited by Longestpants