Battle of the Philippines 1941-42 v1.1

Battle of the Philippines 1941-42 v1.1

PACIFIC AIR WAR

THE BATTLE OF THE PHILIPPINES 1941-42

v1.1

31 July 2008

A Campaign Mod for SFP1/WoV/WoE

by Baltika

On 7 December 1941, Imperial Japan launched a combined full-scale assault on the Dutch East Indies, the Philippines and the Malay Peninsula. The US Fleet was attacked and decimated at Pearl Harbor. Allied defence strategy was predicated on Japan attacking only a single Allied power, with the others sending military assistance in the event of an assault. The Japanese grand strategy left the Allies reeling, falling back on every front under the strength and ferocity of the Japanese attack.

Lt. Gen. Masaharu Homma, commander of the Japanese 14th Army, was tasked with the invasion of the Philippines. Vice Admiral Ibo Takahashi commanded the IJN 3rd Fleet, Philippines Force, for the amphibious assault. Air Support was provided by the IJAAF 5th Air Group under Lt. Gen. Hideyoshi Obata, and the IJNAF 11th Air Fleet under Vice Admiral Nishizo Tsukahara.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur commanded the combined US and Philippino defensive force, organised into the US Army Forces in the Far East.

Maj. Gen. Lewis H. Brereton commanded the Far East Air Force, consisting of P-40 Warhawk, B-17 bomber and P-35 Guardsman squadrons. The Philippino Air Force fielded a squadron of valiant but outclassed P-26A "Peashooters."

The Battle of the Philippines lasted until the final surrender of the garrison on 8 May 1942. The survivors suffered brutal treatment in captivity. Thousands died on the "Bataan Death March" or working in slave labour camps.

The Philippines were finally liberated in 1945. But that is another story. . .

CAMPAIGN CONTENT

Flyable Squadrons:-

3rd Pursuit Squadron P-40E

20th Pursuit Squadron Tomahawk

34th Pursuit Squadron P-35A

28th Bombardment Squadron B-17F

PAAF 6th Pursuit Squadron P-26A

Ryujo Kanjo Sentokitai A6M2 Zero

Ryujo Kanjo Kogekikitai D3A1 Val

INCLUDED FILES:-

Skins:-

P-26A PAAC }

P-40E USAAF OD } Wrench, The

Tomahawk USAAC }

Grateful thanks to Wrench for his great skins. Included here under the terms of the "Fair Use" modding agreement at combatace. Cheers Kevin ;-)

For v1.1 I have included an "upgraded" version of Wrench's Tomahawk USAAC skin, using Wrench's new, improved Tomahawk template, featuring new panel lines, rivets, scuff marks, fading and all sorts of other goodness. Cheers again, Kevin ;-)

Campaign Files:-

All campaign files, squadron screens, Win/Lose screens by Baltika

Terrain Files:-

"Retrograde" mod of Edward's Phillipines terrain.ini files to create a 1941 environment for this campaign, with appropriate front lines, airfield occupation, invasion/defence fleets and so forth. NB Edward's terrain IS NOT included in this mod, you will have to get it from avsim. There are detailed instructions on how to create a "Philippines 1941" terrain which will sit alongside Edward's 1945 original so you can fly both. Please see below.

For v1.1 I have included updated .HFD and .TFD files only, which flatten and tile the additional airbases featured. Thanks to Edward for creating his many excellent WW2 terrains for SFP1. S!

UI Files:-

WW2 Map icons - Geo & Charles

Ground Objects:-

Philippine Scouts

Philippine Regular Infantry

Simple .ini mod of Kesselbrut's US_Squad_early into nation specific infantry, by Baltika. Thanks to Kesselbrut

REQUIRED FILES:-

AIRCRAFT:-

P-35A }

P-40E }

B-17F } SFP1 Dev A-Team

A5M }

Ki-48 }

Ki-46 }

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

P-26A } Bunyap

http://www.bunyap2w1.com/

Tomahawk }

Ki-21 } Wolf257

Ki-27 }

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=4363

G4M2 } ArmourDave

A6M2 }

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=744

D3A1 } Pasko, Starfighter & Gramps

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1889

GROUNDOBJECTS:-

Jap_Squad } Kesselbrut

US_Squad_early }

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=762

Type 97 (Chi-Ha Tank) }

Akagi (aircraft carrier) }

Benham (USS Mayrant) } SFP1 Dev A-team

Liberty USS Jeremiah O'Brien}

USS Brooklyn }

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

M3 (Halftrack) } Geo

Lee (Tank) }

http://www.geos-aircraft.com/SFObjects.htm

Pacific Ground Objects pack, compiled by Edward, but many contributors, I think

Available at Avsim

TERRAIN:-

WW2 Phillipines by Edward

Available at Avsim

OTHER:-

Bunyap's Weapons pack (latest version)

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=2672

WW2 Formations mod - Charles

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3197

RECOMMENDED (but not essential):-

WW2 Effects pack v0.91 by CA_Stary

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5072

Green camo wooden hangars by CA_Stary

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5103

WideSky v1.0 by cellinsky

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6903

PTO Mainscreen (For SFP1) by Charles

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3335

or

PAW Mainscreen by Kout

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1514

You may also wish to install either Deuces' Vietnam_SEA terrain upgrades, or Brain32's Vietnam_SEA tileset with CA_Stary's Green Hell mod, as those are compatible with the Philippines terrain. Squadron screens included in this mod are shot using Deuce's tiles and treemod for WoV.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

It is recommended that you install this campaign to a dedicated PTO install of SFP1/WoV/WoE. You don't need a separate install just for this campaign, it will sit happily in an existing PTO install. Just be careful about over-writing any of your modded files. The most obvious one is the SquadronList.ini. Unzip the d/l package to a temp file and check its contents before installation. If unsure, BACK UP YOUR MODS FIRST!!!!!!!!!

If you have already installed v1.0 of this campaign, simply unzip the files to a temp folder, and then copy them over to your existing install, overwriting when requested to do so. Make sure you don't have any "nested" folders when copying over.

If you are starting from scratch, here's the drill:

1. Install Strike Fighters Project One

2. Patch up to v 083006

3. Install Bunyap's weapons pack (Required for WW2 weapons)

4. Delete all stock aircraft

5. Install the aircraft, ground objects and terrain listed above

6. Install Charles' WW2 formations mod

7. Install the PAW1 Campaign Mod files to the relevant folder of your new install. The simplest thing is to retain the file structure and copy the unpacked files over. It should be obvious where everything has to go. Overwrite when requested to do so. You may want to backup your original SQUADRONLIST.INI. Or, just cut and paste the squadrons from the included list to the end of your current one, renumbering where the last one leaves off.

8. VERY IMPORTANT! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

9. Browse to your /Terrain folder. You will see folders called "Phillipines" [sic] and "Philippines1941" - inside the Philippines1941 folder is just a bunch of .ini files, some new planning maps and 1941 static P-40E skins, credit to Wrench. Open the "Phillipines" folder, and copy and paste its entire contents into your "Philippines1941" folder, EXCEPT the following files:-

P40E1.BMP

P40E1Dest.BMP

P40E2.BMP

PlanningMap1.bmp

PlanningMap2.bmp

PlanningMap3.bmp

Phillipines.INI

Phillipines_briefing.INI

Phillipines_DATA.INI

Phillipines_dogfight.INI

Phillipines_movement.INI

Phillipines_nations.INI

Phillipines_targets.INI

Phillipines_types.INI

Phillipines.HFD

Phillipines.TFD

You will see that the 1941 terrain folder already contains the necessary .ini files. I have also resized Wrench's P-40E OD skin to be used for the parked P-40s. Otherwise you will get the wrong type of P40 for 1941 parked on your runways. I have also included new planning maps for the 1941 version of the Philippines terrain.

11. IF YOU DO NOT CARRY OUT THE ABOVE STEPS YOU WILL GET A CTD WHEN YOU TRY TO FLY THE CAMPAIGN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

12. If you are running WoV/WoE, you will need to change the catfile pointer in the terrain.ini to get it to work properly. Any problems, give me a shout.

That's it. "Battle of the Philippines" should now be available at the campaign selection screen.

****************************************************************************************************

KNOWN ISSUES:-

1. Flying the Val off the IJN Ryujo, you will probably blow up on the deck. I think it has to do with the positioning of the catapults and the size of the plane, but I don't know how to fix it. The Zero works just fine. So, if you really want to fly a whole campaign in the Val, select start mission "In Air" or "Near Target." Downloading the updated Val available at Combatace may fix this.

2. On the subject of the Ryujo, I know the model used is the IJN Akagi. There are quite a few placeholders for unit types etc, but these are marked in the main campaign_data.ini if you are interested. You can easily swap the Akagi for Hinchinbrooke's IJN Zuiho, which is closer to the light carrier model. Install the Zuiho, and change the CarrierType= Flag in the Carrier Units section of the campaign_data.ini to read CarrierType=Zuiho. I got random CTDs after doing this, but it may be something in my install.

3. The north end of Luzon is behind the 50k "Wall" at the edge of the map. For this reason, Japanese ground forces have already landed at the start of the campaign, and you may bump into the wall in the early days.

4. The ALT+N function often makes you crash into the mountains in central Luzon, particularly flying a Zero campaign. To avoid this, make good use of your planning map to move your waypoints to ensure your flight path is over low ground where possible. Otherwise, fly the whole mission from the deck and back. Yes, you heard me, pilot ;-)

5. There are a lot more Japanese planes available which are not flyable in campaign. This is because the bulk of the Japanese forces start on "off-map" bases on Formosa. Thanks to Stwa for that particular trick, cheers, mate ;-) Maybe in chapter two you can fly a Tony or whatever ;-)

6. I have now much more thoroughly playtested the ground war, and it should run properly. It is quite carefully scripted to achieve a historical outcome. However, a few odd things may still happen in the campaign. Please report any strangeness to me at combatace, cheers ;-)

7. If you don't like the red text for start/end campaign screens, browse to your SFP1/Menu folder and delete the OVERLAYTEXTSETTING.INI file to go back to the stock text colour.

****************************************************************************************************

CREDITS:-

My grateful thanks to all the modders who have provided great work to make SFP1 a fabulous WW2 playground:-

Wrench

Edward

The A-team

Bunyap

Wolf257

ArmourDave

Geo

Charles

Kesselbrut

RussoUK2002

Pasko

CA_Stary

cellinsky

In particular, but my thanks go out to everyone who has modded, posted and otherwise contributed to our fantastic community.

Thanks also due to the whole team at combatace for providing a wonderful resource and home for this whole modding thang. Not so much a hobby, more a way of life. Cheers all ;-)

Thanks to TK and Thirdwire for the whole shebang.

Reference:-

Duel For the Sky, Christopher Shores, Guild Publishing, London 1985

And the mighty wikipedia

S! To one and all.

Baltika

This mod is released under the Freeware Licensing agreement promulgated at combatace.

1. The work may not be used in payware projects or in projects that will not be freely distributed under these same terms.

2. You must give proper credit in your readme file.

3. If feasible, include the original readme along with your new mod.

31 July 2008

Updated ReadMe / Installation instructions.

Additional download links and recommended mods.

Updated credits

Improved chance of IJAAF & IJNAF units advancing to Philippines

Re-named IJN Fleet elements in line with OOB

Fixed Start/End Text offscreen bug

Increased Unit Size of 4th Regt USMC

PAAF 6th PS now listed as Philippines Unit

Modded Philippine Scouts & Regulars from Kess's US_Squad_early

Reduced chance of Zeros on Strike missions

Added additional "Waypoint" Target Areas

Fixed Calapan in the sea bug

Fixed placement and size of AI airstrips in North Luzon

Terrain flattened and tiled for additional airstrips

Revised terrain Nations.ini for 21 regions

Complete overhaul of strategic nodes/Ground War. Now it works!

Improved USAAC P-40B skin, cheers Wrench

New set of planning maps

Sweet!

BTW, the Val was done by Pasko.

I won't quibble on the historical versions of the B-17 -- since we don't have the C/Ds the 19th BG had.

Very cool! Gonna try this one!

Wrench

kevin stein

You wrote:

This is because the bulk of the Japanese forces start on "off-map" bases on Formosa. Thanks to Stwa for that particular trick, cheers, mate ;

I can't download your campaign at the moment since my WWII install (gathered around your pack of BOB!) is in another harddisk, far far away. I dlike some informations, when you have time about this "trick"; could turn useful in other campaings as well!

Hi there,

Wrench,

Yup, the B-17F is a placeholder. There are a couple of others, in particular the G4M2 in place of the G4M1 and the G3M2, and the D3A1 for the C5M/Ki-15 and Ki-36. The tanks are not quite right either - we need an early war Jap Light Tank (Type 95 maybe, but I'm no expert) and an M3 Stuart Light Tank, some mounted cavalry for the 26th Cavalry Regt (Philippine Scouts), and of course the IJN Ryujo.

Thanks for confirming the origin of the Val. I will update the readme to credit Pasko (although of course the planes are not included in the campaign d/l). BTW, where can the Val be found these days? I had a good hunt around for it and couldn't find it online - maybe it could be uploaded here?

Canadair,

The simple trick is to define runway target areas which are beyond the edges of your terrain map. Obviously you only need the first few entries, like this:-

[TargetArea043]

Name=Taichung Field

;Formosa

Position=340000.000000,1500000.000000 <= These co-ordinates are off the edge of the map

Radius=4242.640625

ActiveYear=0

LOCATION=2

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield5.ini

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway5

Target[001].Offset=0,0

Target[001].Heading=240

Target[002].Type=Tower2

Target[002].Offset=-54.867,10.024

Target[002].Heading=0

Target[003].Type=windsock

Target[003].Offset=50.621,682.426

Target[003].Heading=0

Target[004].Type=windsock

Target[004].Offset=-50.37,682.426

Target[004].Heading=0

The campaign engine "sees" the above base for the purpose of stationing air units there. AI only, obviously. I think if you try to use a squadron based there as a flyable, and take off from its home base, you will get a CTD - but I haven't tried it. I don't want to end up in the Twilight Zone. I d/k if this will cause problems with single missons, but the 1941 terrain mod was designed specifically with campaign play in mind.

So far, I have not been tasked to attack one of these "ghost" bases, but if it happens to anyone, let me know, I may have to go back to the drawing board.

Cheers,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

One way to not get tasked, is give the Runway a target value of 0. I"m not sure if there are other Runway5s in the PI map -most likely not, as runway 3 got kinda overused in all the PTO maps- or use one of the 'copies' I created for Okinawa; that semi-paved "runway7" or even Runway4, the super big one.

Just have the value set to 0

It's a bummer about the B-17C/D -- I always wanted to do a skin for "Mary Ann", the Fortress from the moive "Air Force". It would also open up skinning opportuinties for RAF Costal Command's Fortress Mk.1, based in the Azores, and elsewhere.

Wrench

kevin stein

Canadair,

The simple trick is to define runway target areas which are beyond the edges of your terrain map. Obviously you only need the first few entries, like this:-

[TargetArea043]

Name=Taichung Field

;Formosa

Position=340000.000000,1500000.000000 <= These co-ordinates are off the edge of the map

Radius=4242.640625

ActiveYear=0

LOCATION=2

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield5.ini

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway5

Target[001].Offset=0,0

Target[001].Heading=240

Target[002].Type=Tower2

Target[002].Offset=-54.867,10.024

Target[002].Heading=0

Target[003].Type=windsock

Target[003].Offset=50.621,682.426

Target[003].Heading=0

Target[004].Type=windsock

Target[004].Offset=-50.37,682.426

Target[004].Heading=0

The campaign engine "sees" the above base for the purpose of stationing air units there. AI only, obviously. I think if you try to use a squadron based there as a flyable, and take off from its home base, you will get a CTD - but I haven't tried it. I don't want to end up in the Twilight Zone. I d/k if this will cause problems with single missons, but the 1941 terrain mod was designed specifically with campaign play in mind.

So far, I have not been tasked to attack one of these "ghost" bases, but if it happens to anyone, let me know, I may have to go back to the drawing board.

Cheers,

Baltika

Baltika you are cool. So in a Falkland scenario we could have black buck vulcan coming from out the map in ascension. In formosa we could have B-52 on long range strategic mission. ..oh my god, so many mod ideas, so little time!

Hi there,

Canadair,

Like I said I got the idea from one of Stwa's maps, so he gets the credit for that particular idea. Like you say, the possibilities are interesting.

Wrench,

Good idea about setting the target value, although I have to say I have not had this problem yet in campaign play. I think Clark Field 1 & 2 on Luzon are both Runway 5 - your B-17s need somewhere to take off from after all :biggrin: But the rest, I think, are all runway three, so it would be easy to select an "unused" runway type for your off-map airfields.

As to the earlier B-17 variants, do we need a different 3D model, or can it be done by .ini edits?

Wait, no, if it could be done that way . . . I'm sure you would have done it already :wink:

Sadly my 3D skills are non-existent.

Hmm, now where should chapter two take us?

Wait, no, back on the road to Mandalay :rolleyes::biggrin:

hi nice work man. b ut i have a problem with the payload. mos Jap planes and some allied doesnt carry any. i tried loading bunyaps weapons pack/ ww2 weapons pack, 06 patch and 08 patch. run the different weapons editor changed the availability and still cant get them to carry weapons. any suggestions?