Sign in to follow this  
ravenclaw_007

green hell for the phillipines

i used CA_Stary green hell mod and used it for the phillipine wwII terrain it works great thanks again to CA_Stary for

that excellent work

but as you can see on the picture belowe there are some water mountain or maybe it is a tsunamie? is there a way

to remove the mountains or cover them with some texture?

and the island of corregidor is rather flat in the game , if you where ever there and walked the way up to the Battery Way or Battery Geary you know what i mean , is there a way to increase the

hight of this island ?

Good call with the Green Hell mod, I think CA mentioned somewhere that any terrain which uses the VietnamSEA tileset will work with his treemod. I must try that out, but I've been too busy squashing bugs in Battle of the Philippines '41-42 campaign v1.0, oops :blush:

As to the tsunami, yes, there is a way to fix this. Just follow Gepard's excellent TE tutorials (right here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=191 ) and either hand-edit the .bmp file of the terrain to smooth out the sea, or place land tiles over the tsunami waves so they look like land. Hmm, yes, I know, it's time-consuming, but not impossible :wink:

The problem with the elevation of Corregidor is that the game engine only "sees" elevation in certain pre-determined "bands." There is a TE discussion thread somewhere which tells you how to fine-tune those bands to the overall elevation of the terrain you are dealing with - just fly over Dave's resurrected SoCal terrain (courtesy of Wrench, The) to see some real coastal mountains :cool:

But, again, you have to get your hands dirty in TE to fix it. It would be possible to simply hand-edit the .bmp elevation file for Corregidor to make it more mountainous, but I don't have Edward's Phillippines terrain set up in TE just now. And, having started on Iceland, I'm not about to start another TE project in this lifetime. (OK, I admit, I have a full-scale Scandinavia on the go, but that won't see the light of day for, ooh, decades :crazy: )

Note to self: Finish current projects before starting any more new ones :grandpa:

Hope that helps point you in the right direction, at least.

Cheers,

Baltika

That's my understanding, too...they have to be fixed by hand. Wish I know how to do -- SoCal could really use it!!

PI IS on the list to get "targets enhancements" (after all, my Dad was there 44-46 - and I have the photos to prove it!! :biggrin: ), but it's waaaaaaaaaay down the line.

Have to see if there's enough 'empty' space for some of the larger fields (runway1), other than Clark, which already has 2.

Note to self: Finish current projects before starting any more new ones

Brother, don't I know that one! I still haven't gotten to ErikGen's new Nike batteries; Modern Korea reuild in 65%, Burma 99.9%, China not even started. Not t mention FastCargo's XF-103, and boatload of skins -included a new CBI only P-51A, (having a hell of a time with markings, numbers for the tail), Hurri 2C/IV Trop -with Vokes-. Plus all the other usual goofiness...

Wrench

kevin stein

Guys

You are using a 60% scale Phillipines map I made three years ago. The reason it was difficult to get Corregidor to look right is it's only 60% full scale. I have long since made a 100% scale WWII Phillipines map with much better target placements as it's full scale. I also fixed all the "sea mountains" as I learned how. They do not need to be fixed by hand. Perhaps the target file you did for the 1941 Phillipines using the 60% version could be adapted to the full scale version. Green Hell should work fine with either version, but the problem I have with it is the trees "pop up" as you fly over it, killing the immersion.

ES

Edward

Edited by Edward

Guys

You are using a 60% scale Phillipines map I made three years ago. The reason it was difficult to get Corregidor to look right is it's only 60% full scale. I have long since made a 100% scale WWII Phillipines map with much better target placements as it's full scale. I also fixed all the "sea mountains" as I learned how. They do not need to be fixed by hand. Perhaps the target file you did for the 1941 Phillipines using the 60% version could be adapted to the full scale version. Green Hell should work fine with either version, but the problem I have with it is the trees "pop up" as you fly over it, killing the immersion.

ES

Edward

great news

but the 100% terrain is not yet available for download right ?

the problem with the trees poping up did you set in the flightengin.ini the highdetailoption to higher value ? if that is what you refering to

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6 ---------you can go up to 15

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=2

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=0

Thanks Raven

I'll try that. But the trees seem a bit out of scale. I prefer Deuces tree mod, which looks like this:

img00001_95.jpg

And how's this for Burma

img00001_36.jpg

img00002_36.jpg

ES

Edward

Thanks Raven

I'll try that. But the trees seem a bit out of scale. I prefer Deuces tree mod, which looks like this:

ES

Edward

Hi Edward,

Yes, it's no secret observation my green hell trees are 2x the size of real, sacrifice made to achieve scene complexity/visual appearance. And I'm hitting the numbers beyond which Terrain Editor either CTDs or messes things up. Not to mention in game frame rates.

But they look better IMUHO:

"real" size:

scaled up:

Quite obvious why I preffer the second one, right? Green Hell 2 should have both for one to pick the version he/she likes...

Cheers,

CA_Stary

Yah! Nice Sally skin!!! Is that around anywhere?? The terrain looks a LOT better, too!!

So Edward, please don't tell me you went 100% on the Burma map.... :dntknw::wink: I just finished upgrading the targets on the old one, and was going to upload it in a day or 2, after final testing. Everyone knows how time consuming, and nerve wracking it is to tie together all them bridge pieces...and there's a boatload of bridges across the cursed rivers!!

Well, I'm sure I can, as 7 of 9 would say "adapt". :biggrin:

So, seriously, "2 weeks" after SCW??? :notworthy:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi everyone,

Wow, there is some great stuff going on here :biggrin:

@Edward, great to hear from you - those Burma shots look fantastic :cool:

Burma Air War campaign is about 90% done using your 60% map, but, obviously I've not seen Wrench's upgraded targets.ini yet, and if you are contemplating a release of Burma 100%, then I should probably hold off to adapt the campaign to the full-scale map. As Wrench says, we can always "assimilate" :wink:

As I'm sure you know, the problem for campaign building is setting strategic nodes so your ground war operates. Generally, the way around any problem is to create some simple "waypoint" target areas so your ground forces behave properly. I had added in a stack of such waypoints to get the Burma ground war to operate, but, of course, those are set up on the 60% map. They would have to be re-done for a full-scale map, but that gives more room for manouevre so the "disappearing ground units after successful offensive" glitch is easier to avoid.

As to adapting the 1941 Philippines targets, no problem, I think. The one realeased with the PAW1 campaign, as I said, is a simple "retrograde" mod of your original, with airbase occupation, fleet designations, and statics changed to fit the time period. I have also added "dummy" airbases on Formosa (Off-map) and in the North of Luzon for the invading forces to occupy. This is fine for campaign play, as the japanese are mainly AI (with the exception of the carrier-based squadrons) but may give odd results in single missions. Since release, I have been working on upgrading the 1941 targets, as I am running into some node problems. Here's where I'm at just now:-

post-16914-1216987602_thumb.jpg

Again, I am adding mainly "waypoint" target areas round the coast, and I have been working up a proper OOB for naval forces in the region. Still a WIP, but, again, if you are contemplating a release of your full-scale Philippines terrain I may be as well to hold off til then.

Further note to self: Use completed, released terrains for campaign building first :blink::biggrin:

But it looks like we have found a destination for PAW Chapter 2 - Your full-scale, Wrenchified New Guinea terrain. Anyone point me in the direction of some good source material for OOBs and the like?

And this probably means that I have no excuse not to finish off & release that WW2 North Africa campaign which has been sitting on my hard drive for, oh, since before my daughter was born :rolleyes::biggrin:

@CA_Stary

Green Hell 2 :good:

Drool. . .

@Wrench,

Re Burma 60% upgrade - well you've done the work, I say release it :yes:

I can always release BAW campaign as a beta for rigorous playtesting :wink:

And finally (for now),

Edward, can you advise on how to flatten those sea mountains and shoreline tsunami?

All those Norwegian fjords are giving me a migraine :blink:

Cheers all,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

Yes, it's no secret observation my green hell trees are 2x the size of real, sacrifice made to achieve scene complexity/visual appearance. And I'm hitting the numbers beyond which Terrain Editor either CTDs or messes things up. Not to mention in game frame rates.

But they look better IMUHO:

Quite obvious why I prefer the second one, right? Green Hell 2 should have both for one to pick the version he/she likes...

I'm a newbie here, but I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to improve the visual appearance despite - possible - performance issues. Green Hell 2 is the optimum solution - gamers can have it either way. I drool when I look at the shots of your stuff. Your work, plus other improvements by other modders, is why I've decided to make some stuff for the WOE game system. Simply gorgeous. :good:

(cue music)....

we're on the road to mandalay....

burma_upgrade.jpg

That's the new 'stang skin I was speaking of. Need a couple more nose arts, then write readme, and it's done.

Wrench

kevin stein

(cue music)....

we're on the road to mandalay....

That's the new 'stang skin I was speaking of. Need a couple more nose arts, then write readme, and it's done.

Wrench

kevin stein

Nice skin, but ugly trees :biggrin: :

These are real sized, I'm reworking the jungle and farmland tiles again, a week or two (real time) to release, then I'll make a specific version for WW2 Burma and Phillippines (less urbanized cities than Vietnam version, different city architecture). 60% map has many flaws, the biggest one for me being the height resolution -soo edgy mountains! The answer could be WoI install, it's terrain engine interpolates height map, but flight engine refuses to handle prop aircrafts.

@Stary:

did you think in work with Botany?

:huh:

Why?

Coz you are the tree man!!!

Raven

This stuff in the screens of Burma has been available to you for about a year :rofl: These are the Vietnam tiles I did for Razbam copied into the Burma Map available at Avsim. Sorry you didn't know :rofl:

All you need to do to experience it is:

1. Go to Razbam and purchase the Vietnam Terrain

2. Go to Avsim and download the WW2 Burma Terrain

3. Copy the Vietnam tiles into the Burma Terrain folder

For additional fun, you can go to Razbam and purchase my Korean War terrain and go to avsim and download the WWII China terrain.

Copy the korea tiles into the China folder and you'll get this:

img00003_61.jpg

img00002_77.jpg

You will need a few additional tiles I did for the WWII China Terrain which I could send to anyone.

CA_Stary

Those new trees look fantastic :good: And I must say your WWII effects are fantastic as well. They really made me start flying WWII planes almost exclusively. Thanks so much for doing them. They really make the sim so much better :biggrin:

I think YAP2 is coming out soon as well with some great looking forest trees as well.

ES

Edward

Edited by Edward

Raven

This stuff in the screens of Burma has been available to you for about a year :rofl: These are the Vietnam tiles I did for Razbam copied into the Burma Map available at Avsim. Sorry you didn't know :rofl:

All you need to do to experience it is:

1. Go to Razbam and purchase the Vietnam Terrain

2. Go to Avsim and download the WW2 Burma Terrain

3. Copy the Vietnam tiles into the Burma Terrain folder

For additional fun, you can go to Razbam and purchase my Korean War terrain and go to avsim and download the WWII China terrain.

Copy the korea tiles into the China folder and you'll get this:

ES

Edward

i do have all your terrains from razbam but what tiles do i need from the china terrain ? and what about the 100% philippine terrain is it to be free or from razbam

Holy cow! the pic with the P-40 in it is insane! That terrain and clods looks soooooo much better! I only wished the terrains I have looked that great! Truly awesome!! :clapping::good:

Those new trees look fantastic :good: And I must say your WWII effects are fantastic as well. They really made me start flying WWII planes almost exclusively. Thanks so much for doing them. They really make the sim so much better :biggrin:

I think YAP2 is coming out soon as well with some great looking forest trees as well.

ES

Edward

Edward

The mountain tiles are gorgeous!

I have a mixed PTO install ATM witch most stuff thrown in, as for effects I have WW2 pack with EE3 ontop of it. Today I'm taking a break from planting to make a specific install for Phillippines.

YAP2 terrain and trees are being made by Deuces. Do I need to say more... :blink:

@Silverbolt:

I had some dendrology classes at my studies, but I wasn't paying much attention to them.