Sign in to follow this  
muddpuddle

New here and wondering what next?

New to Combat Ace and just recently bought First Eagles. Pretty nice flight sim.

I've been looking around here on the forums and the sticky about where to get started is a year old and doesn't really cover some essential things like the April 2008 patch (which i've read good and bad things about).

So, that all leaves me wondering, "What next?"

Should i add any mods?

Do i need any mods?

What about graphics add-ons?

Missions?

Campaigns?

And which if any are compatible with the patch and which are not?

Anyway,

Hello to all and thanks in advance for any assistance! :good:

Create a back-up install; add mods, if it crashes or you simply don't like something, delete it, and restore from the back-up. :biggrin:

If you like this game I can say.. get WOV,WOE and WOI you get a nice mix of some very nice planes, campaignes and damn cool terains!

I'd say get peter01's latest FM pack and all related add-on aircrafts, they are all mentioned in the readme file. Be warned though, they are for October patch with EP.

New to Combat Ace and just recently bought First Eagles. Pretty nice flight sim.

I've been looking around here on the forums and the sticky about where to get started is a year old and doesn't really cover some essential things like the April 2008 patch (which i've read good and bad things about).

So, that all leaves me wondering, "What next?"

Should i add any mods?

Do i need any mods?

What about graphics add-ons?

Missions?

Campaigns?

And which if any are compatible with the patch and which are not?

Anyway,

Hello to all and thanks in advance for any assistance! :good:

"Should i add any mods?

Do i need any mods?

What about graphics add-ons?"

Yes, its what makes the game.

Theres menu screens, loading screens, terrain and skins here at Combat Ace, and all these can be installed safely. Its hard to say what to install, its a matter of preference. Mine are Guitarclassic55s menu screens, Alligator Devil's Hangar and Loading Screens, Edward's Flanders terrain.

For user made campaigns and missions, generally you need add-on planes. And there are bout 86 Add-on planes - and with Thirdwires stuff, FE has about 103 planes!! IMO these are what make the game, and puts FE in a class of its own.

However to have all the add-on planes working properly, and to try a completely modded game, you must purchase the Expansion Pack - its different to the April 2008 patch. Sorry, but Thirdwire keep changing the Flight Model with every patch. FMs dont mix and match across versions - it'll drive you crazy if you do this.

The benefits of buying the Expansion pack, and then downloading and installing say my mod is its simple (now, see below), all the add-on planes will work well, its a far better game modded (bit immodest here!), other things like working Le Prier Rockets and AI planes made flyable are done (takes a bit of fiddling if you are new to the game), as well as having other must have plane models such as Camel, Fokker Dr1 etc.

In terms of complexity in installing, you just pre-empted me by a few hours ...... just uploaded a "Quick Start..." pack IF you have the oct 2007 EP. This doesn't require add-on planes - they can be added later. Mainly to very quickly try a modded game with some more difficult mods already done, and easily added to with additional planes as they are acquired.

so, ive discovered a lot of the planes do very strange things when used with the April patch... :blink:

it kinda seems i may have to do 2 installs of FE. one vanilla and one with extra toppings :yes:

thanks everyone for the advice.