Sign in to follow this  
Liberty24

Any more modern jet flight sim

Looks like no more F-22, F-35, Su-33 dedicated hard core flight sim in development. Is this genre dying?

Some would argue it's already dead seeing as we've had no releases in years and none are announced to be in development.

However, there is always hope. Other sims are still being made, so we may one day see one.

Looks like no more F-22, F-35, Su-33 dedicated hard core flight sim in development. Is this genre dying?

I've heard (and it makes sense) that there really isn't enough information availabe regarding these aircraft and their flight systems to put together an accurate hard-core flight sim.

While that's true, the reality is they could make an excellent guess if they wanted to. Make an F-15C sim, change the FM to be as good as we know the F-22A to be (its real performance is classified, but just plug in the abilities that we KNOW and then guesstimate the rest is improved by say 20%), put in "god mode" radar/sensors and you're done!

Is that "realistic", no, but for all intents and purposes it's as close as you can get in the unclassified world. To just NOT make one with the excuse "we don't have accurate info" is crap.

BTW--I will point out we've had sims (albeit not hardcore) with the Su-33, F-22 and F-35 in it in the 90s but they've not bothered to make one in the 00s other than LOMAC which just pretty much carried over the 33 from F2. We've not had ANY sims with them, hardcore or otherwise, in the 00s. The best has been console/arcade stuff like Ace Combat or Over G Fighters which aren't sims. At this point I'd take a lite sim like TW's stuff in a heartbeat.

I've heard (and it makes sense) that there really isn't enough information availabe regarding these aircraft and their flight systems to put together an accurate hard-core flight sim.

The concept of a hardcore flight sim is just mental masturbation anyway. Until they can add the element of imminent death, it isn't hardcore and its not accurate.

I agree with Jedi Master -in 90's we had excellent F22 and other modern jets simulations, mostly DID's EF200 and F22 ADF, these were much of a guess work, but they gave us an immersion of "flying accurate hardcore simulation" .It's really possible to do when developers loves the subject, and mostly when publishers wants to release something that may be too hard for casual console gamer.

The biggest problem with publishers is that they don't believe someone would spend his time actually learning how to control his game.

It's different time, different publishers, bigger money involved

PC games themselves, sad to say, are on life support...even in Alaska (was there TDY in May) the electronics stores (like Babbages) had essentially a dark corner near the re-sale bin that held their allotment of PC games...once the other way around with PC games dominating shelf-space.

I, of course, blame Duke Nukem Forever...and Al Gore and eraser_tr...

Besides it seems that almost everyone that still uses PC flight sims in on this forum...and about 30,000 cant keep economic models like that fluent.

i think after the crash of F4.0 no one wanted more invest in hardcore FSs

I think it's a combination of less intrest, thus less buyers and less money, a monopoly on hardcore flight sims (Microsoft... and I don't think X-plane caught on), the fact that most people really don't want a hardcore flight sim, but a more arcade-style flying game, and maybe even the fact that old games keep getting upgraded, so people don't need to buy the latest-greatest.

What about DCS' Black Shark? Heli, yes, but it is showing some promise.

Hope that everyone realized that the gamers are the backbone of the gaming community, not only the publishers.

The problem with Black Shark is that it is an extreme niche product. ED could have picked any number of other aircraft to model and they pick one that I, for one, have absolutely no interest in. I understand "there will be more aircraft coming" but what will that mean? Do you need BS first, etc.?

I have and enjoy LOMAC (skipped on FC) and I've finally gotten it to run OK but I still think it performs poorly compared to other sims.

And let's just say I'm not a big fan of ED to start with and leave it at that.

The reality is that I fly FS2004, TW sims and F-22 Total Air War more than any others. TAW is dated but it still does a decent job of modelling the F-22. I don't based my enjoyment on the amount or quality of eye candy.

What!? I'm the most staunch PC game supporter in the world.

Somewhere in the depths of EA and ubisoft, Sony and M$ croneys made deals with them for their new consoles to be their primary platform. Also, you can pump out 3 console-crap games a year for the cost of 1 good PC game. And brainless 12 year olds will buy it if its marketed right. And with sports games, they can recycle most of the code and assets over and over and over again. Kind of like TK does, but not half as impressive.

And with ALL that said I'm so thankful for TK and the TW series. With the great modders here the series can be turned into just about anything(with respect to the base code) :biggrin:

I am still holding out hope that a couple in development see the light of day.

BS is not one of them, see KirbyKern's prolific prose on my ED sentiments as well. :blink:

Nor is it Tom Clancy's Hawx! That looks like a console port, simlu-released on console!

No, the 2 I'd like to see finally make it into fruition have been in development for YEARS! 1st?

FighterOps.jpg

Fighter Ops!

I used to get the odd whiff of vaporware, but the low-speed pulse means there is hope. Next?

BAE_Sea_HarrierFRS1_02%20copy.jpg

Thunderworks Jet Thunder: Falkands/Malvinas

Maybe a bit of a slant, considering the creators origin, but who knows? It could rock, if it is ever released.

And, as a parting shot, gone are the heady days of wandering the highly stacked shelves, and deciding

which cool new sim to fly. Man, do I miss those days...

Brings us back to that community developed game post from a while back.

If a big community got together working on a flightsim project, something might get done.

I understand "there will be more aircraft coming" but what will that mean? Do you need BS first, etc.?

If I understood correctly all the "modules" would be stand alone, but compatable between eachother. I think.

And, as a parting shot, gone are the heady days of wandering the highly stacked shelves, and deciding

which cool new sim to fly. Man, do I miss those days...

Well... EA ought to make/release a more advancd version of Jane's USAF with better graphics, flight models & more accurately simulated avionics.... & Ubisoft ought to make/release some sequels to LOMAC like how it did for the IL-2 series....

IF ThirdWire has any plans to release a new jet combat sim, I hope it incorporates more advanced features of modern air combat like AWACS support & JTIDS for instance...

Still hoping for some news on Lead Pursuits next sim - I would expect upto date A-A combat with a DX10 engine - and possibly the focus on the FA-18E/F - and if its like Falcon you can fly an F-22 etc with unrealistic flight model if you like blah

Still hoping for some news on Lead Pursuits next sim - I would expect upto date A-A combat with a DX10 engine - and possibly the focus on the FA-18E/F - and if its like Falcon you can fly an F-22 etc with unrealistic flight model if you like blah

My vote goes to TK and his kick-ass Third Wire sims for the reason nobody else has tossed in the arena. It just keeps getting better and better.

Agreed.

Does anyone know if TK can release the avionics stuff he used for the Air Force F-22 sim? We have a very good model now courtesy the modding community. If we could just get the proper avionics and maybe a bit more accuracy in the modelling of steath we would have a real winner on our hands.

Same this could be said for the F-35.

Agreed.

Does anyone know if TK can release the avionics stuff he used for the Air Force F-22 sim? We have a very good model now courtesy the modding community. If we could just get the proper avionics and maybe a bit more accuracy in the modelling of steath we would have a real winner on our hands.

Same this could be said for the F-35.

TK did not do anything "special" with USAF: Air Dominance. He simply used what was available in the existing game engine to simulate F-22 avionics to a degree. Without a dedicated F-22 or F-35 cockpit (one that has the right disply nodes, etc,) one cannot use those same parameters.

I miss the good old days where we had Falcon 4, even DID EF2000 before it.  It's all about avionics which make the games so popular, the community used to be big and full of people for years!

I even want to reinstall Jane's F-15 which is equally good and sophisticated. I still remember, after releasing teh GBU-15, you have to use the MFD to adjust the fins on the weapon to guide it towards the target. Is that classified I don't really know but who cares.

The other realistic avionic oriented sim is Eidos JSF, pretty good one. With today's hardware technology, you can run the game in software mode and you still get pretty good frame rates.

I just wish some publisher will pick one of those retired Jet Fighters and make it a hard core sim, F-15 is retired am I correct? A-10? What about a real hardcore MiG-31.

What about making a hardcore full bloom war simulator using existing TW games?

I was reinstalling Jane's Fleet Command on the other day. It is a marvelous game. You are in command of Air, Sea and some land vehicles. The only drawback of FC is that the graphics is pretty outdated. So I was imganing that TW games is incorporated into FC and everything changed! Eye-candy with realtime commands.

Edited by Liberty24

the death of Jane's at the hands of EA was the end on an era.. Jane's had some of the best flight sims ever produced. i wish they could be updated to modern computer specs, but i dont think that will ever happen.

If only TW sims could get to the graphic quality of LOCK ON, I don't think I could ever wish for another new sim game.

I mean, what for?

If terrains could look deferent enough from each other and look like your flying over something real at low altitude, with the ease and comfortability of the TW series, I need nothing more.

All the add ons we had from this community, made this game so fulfilling.