I 've seen some real life photos of aircraft like the F-105 and F-4 deploying drag chutes upon landing and thought; 'Hey, that would be cool on WOV and WOE'. I then remember seeing a drag chute skin for the Su-15 on the 'Soviet_Silver' skin template, so I thought I'd try it out on a single mission to see it work.

So off I went in my Su-15 on a recon mission, pressed Alt+N to go to waypoint 5, waited for the 'mission complete' prompt, then pressed ALT +N again to go to waypoint 8.

I started to land, and upon hitting the tarmac I pressed CTRL +B but lo and behold, no chute was to be seen :dntknw: .

Could someone give me some advice on how to make this work, and if it's possible, how or if it can be applied to the F-105 and F-4

It has never worked from day 1 AFAIK - was never implemented into SF:P1 or any of the others.

Some of the 3rd party Mig-25s have chutes - but these auto deploy as part of the actual model I think

Agree with MigBuster :yes:

Brakingchute is Su-15 model part. Stock planes have no schutes modelled, so you can not deploy schutes on them.

Schute on Su-15 is working with "Airbrakes". When you hit "S" and land, schute is opening automatically when aircraft reach defined speed for schute deploy. If you haven't got airbrakes deployed on the ground, you have no schute on your Su-15 deployed too.

Su-15.jpg

Agree with MigBuster :yes:

Brakingchute is Su-15 model part. Stock planes have no schutes modelled, so you can not deploy schutes on them.

Schute on Su-15 is working with "Airbrakes". When you hit "S" and land, schute is opening automatically when aircraft reach defined speed for schute deploy. If you haven't got airbrakes deployed on the ground, you have no schute on your Su-15 deployed too.

Su-15.jpg

Thanks for the info bud. Will try it out ASAP. Do you think if I made some changes to the F-105 and F-4 I coud do the same?

No, I am affraid.

I wanted the same for stock Su-7BM. But if there is no schute model you can not deploy it.

Maybe new "schute box" model with deploy animation placed on right place on the plane. "Mounted" on new wepostation. But I don't know which weapon kind will be this "schute box"... Just old idea :biggrin:

No, I am affraid.

I wanted the same for stock Su-7BM. But if there is no schute model you can not deploy it.

Maybe new "schute box" model with deploy animation placed on right place on the plane. "Mounted" on new wepostation. But I don't know which weapon kind will be this "schute box"... Just old idea :biggrin:

Just tried it out again with your instructions. Works perfectly. :good: What I might do now is take a look at the Su-15_DATA.ini file and

see if or what I can do to apply those to other aircraft.

I hate being beaten on anything like this :angry2:

Craig's Typhoon also features braking chutes, you may want to look that up ( and I suggest you do! :) )

A thought has just occured to me in the last few seconds. Does anybody know where I can find a different chute

model apart from the 'orange and white' model on the Su-15? It's be nice to have a different chute model to work with

if I'm going to try it on other models

Craig's Typhoon also features braking chutes, you may want to look that up ( and I suggest you do! :) )

Thanks bud. Will do. Keep an eye out here for my results in a while (if I have any!)

A thought has just occured to me in the last few seconds. Does anybody know where I can find a different chute

model apart from the 'orange and white' model on the Su-15? It's be nice to have a different chute model to work with

if I'm going to try it on other models

The brake 'chute is part of the model. One simply cannot add one to another model, if it's not there to begin with.

Can ordnance have negative drag?

It can, but it will have no impact whatsoever on the aircraft carrying it, as once it's released, it is "gone".

I don't think so! Negative drag is like negative weight...

And btw - it would be like an engine (speeding the aircraft up)!

The brake 'chute is part of the model. One simply cannot add one to another model, if it's not there to begin with.

Ohh..... :blink: , I didn't know that! So that's why I've been experimenting with the F-105 for the past hour and a half

and hitting brick walls (heh,heh!).

Oh well, better to have tried and lost, etc, etc. I think this is an interesting subject though. It might even give me

the motivation to jump into the unknown world of aircraft design....

Maybe new "schute box" model with deploy animation placed on right place on the plane. "Mounted" on new wepostation. But I don't know which weapon kind will be this "schute box"... Just old idea

What about this idea guys?

Make new weaponstation placed on Migs tail

Schutebox.jpg

Make new schute model with deploy animation. This is just idea, as I wrote. Schute than must be set as weapon. So there will be no braking effect I suppose, If it will be workable. Question is: is there a way make it workable?

No offense, but what purpose would it serve if it did not provide any braking?

Also, even if you could add it on as a weapon (which woud not work, BTW, as animated weapons when deployed, drop off the model), the necessary parameter "deploy when on gears", isn't in the related .dll, and therefore, doesn't apply to weps.

No offense, but what purpose would it serve if it did not provide any braking?

No problem, I understand :yes:

Yes, it is bit curious talk about brake schute without brake effect :biggrin:

But many things whose looked like scifi or was apriori dismissed (hope dissmissed is right word... found it in dictionary :yes: ) are workable now. Seat switching for example. Amokfloo is working on great two seater with this feature now (donno whoose idea was seat switching originally. Kesselbruts? Correct me please if I am not right). Or rear airbrake on Mig-21MF. I saw no way how to disable its animation. But Blackbird helped with his notes about deleting rear brake in LOD file and make new fixed "brake" as cover for old brake place.

Plus another things which I do not want post now, becouse we want them use as new features in our WIPs.

So, maybe there is way how use beaking shute as weapon with braking effect. But as first I need to know if it is possible make weapon with schute animation.

Donno how. But I want find way how to make it. What is needed are usable ideas.

What about dispenser with one round? Schute I can use just one time on the ground. I need round with schute, and I want fire this round on the ground and I want stay it on the weapon station position for cca 10 seconds. Is this possible?

Or similar thing but with bomb (we have bombs with schutes)...

Braking effect...

Is there a way add fictional schute?

This is from Boopidoos Su-15:

[brakingchute]

SystemType=AIRBRAKE

DeployTime=1.1

RetractTime=0.1

AnimationID=9

ModelNodeName=

DragArea=50.00

MaxDeploySpeed=150.00 //90

BlowbackSpeed=160.00 //120

DeployWhenOnGears=TRUE

Is this workable without real animation for schute deploing? If there is no AnimationID=9...

So if there will be no real way how add schute into stock Mig-21 for example in the game, I still see one way... New Mig-21 with schute :haha: And this is partially fixed too, becouse we have great Amokfloos Mig-21UM with schute :biggrin:

Edit:

I disabled deploy schute animation on Su-15, so no schute was deployed when I hit "S". Braking effect was the same like with workable schute animation. So we can get workable breaking effect without schute animation... Now we need workable schute :haha:

Su-15_noschute.jpg

Edited by kukulino

You may have disabled the animation, but not the braking effect (DragArea=50.00). To prove this, disable the entire brake chute entry, and check again.

You may have disabled the animation, but not the braking effect (DragArea=50.00). To prove this, disable the entire brake chute entry, and check again.

Sorry Fubar, but I do not understand you right I think.

I wanted disable just animation, not function of that brakeschute on Su-15. I want braking effect, but without animation.

This is first part - have braking function without animation.

Second part is search, if it is possible make weapon with schute, which may stay on pylon for some seconds after release and with workable schute animation while weapon stays on pylon.

So If I release weapon when I have 280Km/h on the ground, my schute function fixed on "S" key starts autonomly braking my plane on 280km/h (this will be defined. It will starts braking when I hit "S" and reach speed 280km/h. So It is not needed "fire" schute. This is visual function of another weaponstation on the tail, which carry "bomb breakschute").

I know that my english is not best...

Edited by kukulino

Ahhhh..OK. The misunderstanding was on my end. Yes, you can have a "virtual" air brake (in this case, called a brake chute), by just creating the proper entries in the aircraft's data.ini.

Now, getting deployable 'chute animations, well, that's something else, entirely. If we had a weapons class for, say, refueling pods, then that would be the way to go.

Making a weapon with a animated 'chute' isn't a big deal.

The problem is simply that as far as I know, there is no way to make the weapon stay 'on the pylon' after the animation has been activated by 'firing' the weapon.

Having said that, if you made the pylon have zero ejection values, reduce the drag coefficents and mass to zero, IN THEORY, the physics engine shouldn't be able to affect the 'weapon' in any way so as long as the aircraft model stays at a constant speed, altitude and attitude. The 'weapon' should stay right in the same relative area.

I'd say start with that.

FastCargo

What if it was made as a gunpod? They stay on the a/c, have animations, and if I remember correctly, can have an effect on a/c performance (as far as thrust (and therefore drag) is concerned)

Now, getting deployable 'chute animations, well, that's something else, entirely. If we had a weapons class for, say, refueling pods, then that would be the way to go.

I believe, at the moment we will be unable to add animations to an existing aircraft. The problem is, if you use an animation entry in the aircrafts DATA.ini, the animation would need to be made in 3ds. No luck without the source file. If you make a weapon, you can give it an "release animation", like the Snakeyes have. But there is the problem, if you "release" the drag chute, it would start to fall off the aircraft in the same second.

Only way would be, like Fubar said, a new weapon class...

Wait, gunpods have animations? If so, that would be VERY interesting...

I know some italian guys are playing around with the recoil values to make a pusedo JATO unit...

FastCargo