I was flying a campaign today in an AIM-9C equipped F-8 crusader against Parani Mig-17s. When I selected the Aim's, I never got a tone telling me they were online and ready. Got behind a couple migs on different occassions and never got a lock tone either. What gives? Arnt the Aim-9's all IR?

I was flying a campaign today in an AIM-9C equipped F-8 crusader against Parani Mig-17s. When I selected the Aim's, I never got a tone telling me they were online and ready. Got behind a couple migs on different occassions and never got a lock tone either. What gives? Arnt the Aim-9's all IR?

Not until the '9L was fielded in late '79 and early '80.

The C model is radar guided.

The C model is radar guided.

Yes its a radar guided missile and not a very good one.

The AIM-9C was developed in the early 60's as a way to provided the all-weather variants of the F8U Crusader a way to engage thier targets while flying at night or in conditions that prevented useage of the IR variant of the AIM-9. This was done so the plane didn't have to be redesigned to try and carry a Sparrow I/II capable radar suite. Overall the missiles were a poor quality and had issues with both the radar recievers inside the missiles and properly tracking a manuvering target. Most of the missile bodies were converted in the mid-80's over to become the AGM-122 SideARM missile system.

To properly use the AIM-9C inside the game you will to treat the missile the same way you would if you were flying a Phantom carrying Sparrows. Achieve a radar lock and then when you think your in range fire the missile off.

Thanks all. Learn something new everyday... :smile:

I think we do. Im pretty sure i tried it with my F-8 once.

Im pretty sure i ended up using the guns to get my kills cause the missiles were just plain s____.

Next thing I will create home is a AIM-9C if I don`t have one and a AGM-122 Antiradiation missile. This would be cool to have such a small HARM missile. Maybe decrease the accuracy of thios baby and voila we have an ew missle. If someone is faster than me.. pls post it and release it as soon as possible! Every weapon with a bammm ist a welcommed weapon... was sometimes irritated as I figured out what a flashejector ist.. looks wired, works wired... I enlight the target area with a nuke or something HE!!! A nuke is abig flashemitter!!!!

check out latest Mirage Factory weapon pack for SF/WOV/WOE ...AIM-9C inside :wink:

Do we have a AIM-9C never saw this in the loadout?!

The 9C has been in the weapons pack for quite some time, but IIRC the 9C is (in-game) available only for a short time span, nor is it part of the default loadout. Also, you can't mix IRMs and 9C (well, at least not with the TMF Crusaders) as it was actually done back then.

The 9C has been in the weapons pack for quite some time, but IIRC the 9C is (in-game) available only for a short time span, nor is it part of the default loadout. Also, you can't mix IRMs and 9C (well, at least not with the TMF Crusaders) as it was actually done back then.

It shouldn't be a problem if you edit the weapon stations. I'm not on my computer, so I can't take a look at it till tomorrow sometime.

It shouldn't be a problem if you edit the weapon stations.

No, that can't shouldn't be done due to the set up of the TMF Crusaders weapon stations.

The dual rails are for IRMs and the single rail is for the 9C. Changing this leads to strange results, trust me. :wink:

Edited by Gocad

I tried using that dang thing in game against a Mig-17 with DET 11. The only thing that missile is good for is playing a game of lawn darts. I got so mad I went in close and used my tail to cut his wing off.