Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone done a cockpit name decal that is editable in a common program such as Ms Paint? Is that possible? If someone can come up with the decal, I can come up with a readme file on placing it on the aircraft.

Be kinda fun to fly your own bird instead of the stock issue.

Has anyone done a cockpit name decal that is editable in a common program such as Ms Paint? Is that possible? If someone can come up with the decal, I can come up with a readme file on placing it on the aircraft.

Be kinda fun to fly your own bird instead of the stock issue.

How cool would that be ? :ok:

Its as easy as making another other decal. I am on duty right now. But either Wrench and or I can do it. I have alot of my birds with my wifes name on them.

If you download my CF-18 409sqn skin, I've included a full set and a template for making your own, with the text layer still unflattened:

link

Like this...wonderful birthday prezzie from C5 :good:

...doesn't mean we're engaged or anything, lol. :biggrin:

gallery_28053_127_47778.jpg

If you download my CF-18 409sqn skin, I've included a full set and a template for making your own, with the text layer still unflattened:

link

Thanks for the responses. I have never made a decal, but I can try and if I document the steps, maybe others can too. I do some searching in our FAQ files and keep you posted. C5, Wrench, NFG, or others, if you have some suggestions, they would be welcome. I don't have any graphic tools other than paint, so, I suppose, that is where I need to start. Do I need something better? Suggestions?

C5, how hard would it be to make a cockpit decal like you made Nikki that says, "Lt Col Tim 'Jug' Lyle" (red background, white letters)? I promise we won't be engaged either.

Edited by NFG
ah you beat me to the edit Jug ! Nic.

Some time ago i worked also on some decals:

Namen2.jpg

When I created my various F-4 project decals, I used MyTai's idea of a forward fuselage decal which is large in size, but has canopy rail decals. You can add any custom names for most any squadron markings I did for the F-4s. I started out with names on the rails of actual pilots who were with the units, but the research became tedious and I ended up often using a common name. Same for crew chief decals. Ever notice the C/C Alfred E. Newman on several of my F-4 decals?

Mike D.

Man! That is so cool im just waiting for the 'How to do' instructions

Jug standby one I will make one for you.

Jug is this what you wanted? The decal is in the zip. If that is not what you wanted let me know.

Jug is this what you wanted? The decal is in the zip. If that is not what you wanted let me know.

Actually I wanted a solid red background and the letters in white, but now that I look at it, it is perfect for low-vis camo jobs. Thank you very much. Long time since I've seen that on the side of my jet. I still would like to author a How To for the rest of the folks to make their own if you care to give me a few hints.

You da man, Dave. Thank you. If you have anything to contribute to a How To for the average dude here, I am looking for contributions.

When I created my various F-4 project decals, I used MyTai's idea of a forward fuselage decal which is large in size, but has canopy rail decals. You can add any custom names for most any squadron markings I did for the F-4s. I started out with names on the rails of actual pilots who were with the units, but the research became tedious and I ended up often using a common name. Same for crew chief decals. Ever notice the C/C Alfred E. Newman on several of my F-4 decals?

Mike D.

Now that's the way to dress the Rhino up for a fight, Mike. Care to offer any ideas on a How To I am trying to build for the average dude here?

my personal P51Dspost-36716-1217460119_thumb.jpg

Sweet, bradders. Care to contribute anything to a How To for the average dude here?

There is a tutorial in the Knowledge Base on making decals.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=24844

Its a good one with pics.

@Jug

I will make a new one tonight to get what you want. I think I understand now.

There is a tutorial in the Knowledge Base on making decals.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=24844

Its a good one with pics.

@Jug

I will make a new one tonight to get what you want. I think I understand now.

I've followed that tutorial lots of times and with no success. Either I'm missing some vital step or I'm just crap at it, dunno. Maybe I only try it when I'm having a blonde moment.

I may need child-like easy to follow steps in big writing :biggrin:

I've followed that tutorial lots of times and with no success. Either I'm missing some vital step or I'm just crap at it, dunno. Maybe I only try it when I'm having a blonde moment.

I may need child-like easy to follow steps in big writing :biggrin:

NFG, you are not alone. I am old and get confused easily, but I would still like something easy for the average dude to feel like he/she is part of this community. I can't tell you how proud I was when my Chinese brethren used my lighting recommendations on the J-8 fixes mod. Really got some buy in from me on that one.

My idea is to take a small decal template, change the letters to user specs, change the background color to user specs, produce the tga, put it in the right folder, call it properly from the .INI file and adjust the position to suit. If I can talk one of our modder magicians into making a template that would be relatively easy to modify with a program that most people can afford, then we'd be off to a good start.

There is no telling what will end up on the side of the cockpit of some really beautiful aircraft, but the good news is that no one will have to endure the entertainment, but the creators.

Anybody that is a higher quality decal maker than I got any thoughts? Better ideas?

It took me a long time to wrap my brain around the way that the TGA format with alpha channel works. What image editor are you guys using? Maybe I can work up an alternative tutorial.

Try this http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=21102

There are a couple of ways to make decals - the way I do it is included in the above thread.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Timmy. I just acquired Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 to see if I can get started. Your instructions were for the Adobe version, but maybe I can figure it out with this.

Also depends on which program you use - if I was to write a how to it would be based on G.I.M.P because its free, open source and there are lots of tutorials on the web for the basics.

However I will tell you that it will take a 100th of the time to actually do the decal though than it will to write a how-to - and even then people may still not get it. :close_tema:

disclaimer: requests for tedious How-Tos are not on my list at the mo.