Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

ATI users please comment.

Hi guys :)

I'm planning an upgrade for my aged system and strongly think about ATI4850HD GFX card, it's a great video card especially for it's cost, however I would like to know if you guys that are already ATI users have some issues with this game because of it.

Thx in advance.

The only nagging "constant" that I'm aware of with Radeon cards in all the TW series, has been the shadow bug. I do not know if this was corrected in the 2, 3, and 4 series, as it was still present on the X1K series.

the shadow bug

Uh... which bug is that?

Uh... which bug is that?

As the name implies, it effects how shadows are rendered by Radeon cards. In extreme cases, shadows radiate out from the model, like spikes. In mild cases (such as on my X800XL), they appear to be disassociated from the model, depending on the view angle.

Perform a search on 'Radeon Shadows' here, and at Third Wire's site, and you'll see what I mean.

Happened with my laptop's X1400 (the best one offered by Dell that time), that is why I removed the shadows in my games.

this is off topic,but i have a question.i was given a radeon video card by a friend(i'm not even sure what particular model it is;it says r9550 256mb ddr heatsink on sticker)i was just wandering if this card is better than the nvidia 8400gs that have on my winxp x64 1024mb ram 2.4ghz rig?if anyone can give me the pros and cons,i would appreciate it!thanx!!

First thx for the input, I'll go for Radeon 4850HD then, I've read some reviews it seems that thing is sweeping the competition...

@viperBAT32 - Radeon9550 is very old card in aGP version only, I doubt you can even install it on your computer. It's super cheap theese days and people usually use it for cheap office computers.

I had R9550XT several years ago, it was a pretty good card for it's price back then, but today it's totally obsolete...

First thx for the input, I'll go for Radeon 4850HD then, I've read some reviews it seems that thing is sweeping the competition...

@viperBAT32 - Radeon9550 is very old card in aGP version only, I doubt you can even install it on your computer. It's super cheap theese days and people usually use it for cheap office computers.

I had R9550XT several years ago, it was a pretty good card for it's price back then, but today it's totally obsolete...

thanx for the input Brain32...i'll stick with my 8400gs, it works fine :good: